Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Certainly.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
I'll throw my anecdotal 2 cents into the discussion--My younger sister found her first job after college, in Potter County Pa., and lived there for a few years. Up there, they refer to those of us from Pittsburgh as "flatlanders", and it is a term of derision.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
My favourite thing about this thread is the apparent assumption that a similar percentage of rural people don't stereotype or think negatively about "city people." They do. Anyone who has been raised in the country who was being remotely honest would say the same thing. The rural/urban divide is a thing, and it exists pretty much everywhere. Human beings like to focus on divisions and make assumptions. Who knew.
Grew up in the country, and honestly we never even thought about city people. We watched Pittsburgh news, but mostly for the weather, since 99% of it didn’t apply to us.

Pittsburgh was simply a place you went for major league sporting events, back to school clothes shopping, and concerts.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
My favourite thing about this thread is the apparent assumption that a similar percentage of rural people don't stereotype or think negatively about "city people." They do. Anyone who has been raised in the country who was being remotely honest would say the same thing. The rural/urban divide is a thing, and it exists pretty much everywhere. Human beings like to focus on divisions and make assumptions. Who knew.
You're right... so go start a thread about rural xenophobia towards city folk.

One difference: outside of what passes for "country music" these days (just to bring this full circle) and college football, rural Americans don't have the same cultural presence that urban America has... the bigger problem there is that our mass media is still dominated by New York and California, and much of our nation's diverse regional flavor, rural and urban, is marginalized.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Likewise, along with the Pitt-Penn State game. Those games could make or break your season sometimes. Just too much money involved these days, I guess.
As thankful as I am that we (WVU) landed on our feet in the Big 12, it's a damn shame that us Eastern Independents were unable to form an all-sports conference back in the late '80s when Florida State and Miami were both for the taking. As soon as the Nits went to the Big 10 and the Big East basketball schools decided to start leaching gridiron profits, Eastern Football was doomed.

Of course, the Texas and Oklahoma fans don't call us inbred hicks when they come to Mountaineer Field... and it's amazing how much nicer we are to them in return.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM

32 posts, read 45,445 times
As James Carville famously said:

"Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks."

Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
You're right... so go start a thread about rural xenophobia towards city folk.
Nope, because just like the inverse, it doesn't actually affect anything. Neither group is oppressed.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Nope, because just like the inverse, it doesn't actually affect anything. Neither group is oppressed.
One group is definitely viewed more unfavorably by the public as a whole than the other. Such treatment doesn't have to rise to the level of "oppression" to be meaningful, nor should it be defended or justified on that basis.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
As James Carville famously said:

"Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks."
Not that that's ever been true or anything.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
So Appalachian and rural southern poverty don't actually exist? And conversely, rural ignorance of urban issues doesn't have any political ramifications? I think you're seeing only the superficial aspects of this divide.

Which even the "superficial" aspects of this can be quite bothersome: I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've never had any one insinuate that you're parents are brother and sister or that you **** goats? Because I have. And I've been expected to take it in stride, or else I'm a "thinned skinned hillbilly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh