Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:40 PM

35 posts, read 34,500 times

Advertisements

We're buying a historic building in which we're converting office space to a restaurant. I realize there are going to be some setbacks and difficulties with getting permits from Pittsburgh administration. It seems as though Peduto's administration wants to make changes to these processes to make things move faster, but they also seemingly have a long way to go. I plan on reaching out to the Urban Redevelopment Authority and some specific people in the government including Henry Pyatt (small business and redevelopment manager), but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on who to contact and what to do to get started and streamline this process. We're basically putting up all the money we have to get the business started, so I'm trying to be up and running as soon as possible so I can actually start paying myself. We're also looking into applying for historic restoration grants. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:03 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,096,236 times
Here is the URA Facade Improvement page, and info on the participating Mainstreets Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

Will be interested to hear your progress!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,994,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFathead View Post
We're buying a historic building in which we're converting office space to a restaurant. I realize there are going to be some setbacks and difficulties with getting permits from Pittsburgh administration. It seems as though Peduto's administration wants to make changes to these processes to make things move faster, but they also seemingly have a long way to go. I plan on reaching out to the Urban Redevelopment Authority and some specific people in the government including Henry Pyatt (small business and redevelopment manager), but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on who to contact and what to do to get started and streamline this process. We're basically putting up all the money we have to get the business started, so I'm trying to be up and running as soon as possible so I can actually start paying myself. We're also looking into applying for historic restoration grants. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Can't help you with contacts as I haven't owned a restaurant in the city proper, although Allegheny County was pretty good at approving plans (and we even got a miracle final inspection during Christmas week).

However, the bolded part above would tell me to advise you to not do this unless you get additional funding. You really want to go in with enough capital for at least three years of operation at zero profit. And even when you do that, there are no guarantees as I learned personally (our cafe did well, but we'd wanted to open up two others and couldn't due to the initial cafe eating up more than anticipated). But to spend everything on buildout and hope you'll make your nut on business in the first year is, well... not wise.

You also don't want to be investing hundreds of thousands to create yourself a minimum wage job.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 PM

440 posts, read 550,161 times
Just as a tail of caution... Look up Artisan Tattoo in Garfield... they are having some real issues ( not sure whos exactly at fault or exact scenario) just wouldnt want any other business to fall into that mud.

Pittsburg love going to eat.. Good Luck and hope everything works out

Old 04-29-2015, 08:17 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
If somehow you can speak with Julian Vallozzi. It took twice as long as expected for him to open his restaurant... sooooo many hoops to jump through.

Quote:
I'm trying to be up and running as soon as possible so I can actually start paying myself.
Don't expect to be paying yourself for 2 or three years... seriously.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
However, the bolded part above would tell me to advise you to not do this unless you get additional funding. You really want to go in with enough capital for at least three years of operation at zero profit. And even when you do that, there are no guarantees as I learned personally (our cafe did well, but we'd wanted to open up two others and couldn't due to the initial cafe eating up more than anticipated). But to spend everything on buildout and hope you'll make your nut on business in the first year is, well... not wise.

You also don't want to be investing hundreds of thousands to create yourself a minimum wage job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Don't expect to be paying yourself for 2 or three years... seriously.
I was exaggerating a little bit, we have enough to get up and running with some room to breathe. Also, I'm buying into a small chain that I've already worked for, which has plenty of Capital to back us up if we really need it. I've helped with the opening of 7 out of our 10 stores, but this will be the first time I have an actual stake in it. The small managers salary I need to pay rent and feed myself is factored into our costs. I know it may sound silly, but I'm very confident in our model and the way it works that we'll be fine. I just want to be able to open as soon as possible for a number of reasons.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,994,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Just as a tail of caution... Look up Artisan Tattoo in Garfield... they are having some real issues ( not sure whos exactly at fault or exact scenario) just wouldnt want any other business to fall into that mud.

Pittsburg love going to eat.. Good Luck and hope everything works out
Artisan's issues sound like the owners were victims (for lack of a better word) of a change in inspectors. Or at minimum, a very optimistic interpretation of what the original inspector meant by "continually making progress" (watch the video at bottom of the linked article).

So yeah, you can get different stories from different inspectors - something the OP needs to be aware of.

Too bad. I didn't know about their issues. I met with Jason and Meliora a couple years ago over beers at Kelly's to answer some questions about running a cafe. Really nice people.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Closed on the building last week. Hopefully looking at a late August/early September opening.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,096,236 times
Quote:
Closed on the building last week. Hopefully looking at a late August/early September opening.
!! Good luck!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Wow! You are moving along quickly!

Best wishes for a smooth opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: