Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:17 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

I never knew that if you were in Ohio, you can actually have a glass of wine or whatever with your kid, so long as you, the parent are okay with it. PA is as strict as it can be of course. We don't like to educate our kids about alcohol. We prefer to send them off to college and let peers educate them in that safe setting known as the college campus. How nice.

I had no idea so many states have laws in place to allow educating their kids about alcohol and we don't. +1 for Cleveland and Ohio cities for allowing parents to dictate how we educate our young ones without the strong-arm government dictating everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I never knew that if you were in Ohio, you can actually have a glass of wine or whatever with your kid, so long as you, the parent are okay with it.
That has NOT been my experience.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
If that is a state law then it's not enforced often. I have seen people drinking with their kid next to them twice within the past month.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
What age are we talking about? 16, 17, 18? 9 or 10?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
While purchasing alcohol at age 21 is nigh-universal in the U.S., there are many places where you can consume alcohol underage, usually with a parent's permission.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If that is a state law then it's not enforced often. I have seen people drinking with their kid next to them twice within the past month.
I think he's referring to the actual child being allowed to drink. Lawriter - ORC - 4301.69 Underage persons offenses concerning.

Quote:
(B) No person who is the owner or occupant of any public or private place shall knowingly allow any underage person to remain in or on the place while possessing or consuming beer or intoxicating liquor, unless the intoxicating liquor or beer is given to the person possessing or consuming it by that person's parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian and the parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian is present at the time of the person's possession or consumption of the beer or intoxicating liquor.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That has NOT been my experience.
What hasn't been your experience? In Ohio, or if a parent orders in Pittsburgh, the server is okay with it? I wouldn't chance it in Pittsburgh or our state. It is against the law and the way things are now, the parents would be thrown in jail and the kid would go to a foster home.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurmsMcKenzie View Post
What age are we talking about? 16, 17, 18? 9 or 10?
It doesn't seem to specify age in Ohio. Therefore they seem to be leaving it up to the parents. Personally, I feel there shouldn't be an age. If a child is brought up to feel alcohol isn't some right of passage or some huge milestone, it will have much less meaning. Of course there are going to be foolish parents, but I don't feel responsible ones should have to pay for the stupid ones ALL the time!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:37 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Wait...we are upset because PA doesn't allow parents to let their kids drink booze in thier presence at a restaurant? There are enough horrible parents out there to completely negate the "positive" impact that this could have. I am all for there being changes to the way alcohol is viewed in this country, but I am not sure I am comfortable with a 15 year old drinking a beer with thier parents at a restaurant. Can a kid get hammered at a bar in Cleveland as long as his parents are present and fine with it?

And if the both the kids and the parents are drinking, who is gonna drive the pick-up truck home????

Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It doesn't seem to specify age in Ohio. Therefore they seem to be leaving it up to the parents. Personally, I feel there shouldn't be an age. If a child is brought up to feel alcohol isn't some right of passage or some huge milestone, it will have much less meaning. Of course there are going to be foolish parents, but I don't feel responsible ones should have to pay for the stupid ones ALL the time!

A lot of laws are based on the fact that a few stupid people ruin all the fun. A lot of people can handle their drugs and booze, but a few go off and die, or kill someone else. A lot of people can drive 80 mph, but a some people can't control thier car, and thus we have speed limits. Many laws are in place to keep stupid people alive, and to protect the masses from said stupid people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh