Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I decided to put this in the Pittsburgh forum instead of the house forum so I could hopefully get some specific references. I am grateful for any advice.
We own a 99 year old two story house that has been well maintained. It has a slate roof with a moderate roof pitch. Last night I woke up to water dripping on me from the ceiling (bedroom is on second floor). We do not have an attic but have a small crawl space above the second story (not big enough to stand up in). The water is a slow but steady drip, and it is clear. Due to extra insulation I put in the crawl space, there has been a layer of snow on the roof pretty consistently for maybe a month at this point. Last night it actually was raining I believe, so I am not sure if that is significant.
We are not DIYers and given that the leak is in the room furthest from the room where there is crawlspace access, I cannot imagine going up there myself. I assume I need to call a roofer? Any suggestions for who to call? I know it can be difficult to determine to source of leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 AM

618 posts, read 692,074 times
Burns and Scalo is a good option. They do slate roof work and are big enough that they should be able to come out in short order. I've used them a couple of times and they are reasonable and do good work. Just be sure to pin them down on a time - they are big enough that you can get lost in the shuffle. They should be able to tell if a slate has slipped or if the flashing is bad. Is the roof overall in good shape? (Slates in place, no other leaks or problems)

Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,534 times
CORRECTION: Our roof is not slate, but shingle. I am not sure why I typed that.
I think it is about 15 years old.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
This is the company that I use for my roofing work Meredith Home Improvements |

Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,428 times
Whatever you do, do NOT call Rick John Roofing out of Lawrenceville. I asked them for a quote for a new roof and the salesman was so abrasive and outlandish, I thought I was being punk'd.

guy2073 mentioned Meredith Home Improvements--I had them quote my job. Their quote was great and the salesman was great. I ended up not using them only because I went through Home Depot which allowed financing.

With that said, yes I used Home Depot for my new roof. Even though I don't have a specific recommendation for you, it was worth me mentioning to NOT use Rick John.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 AM

I think I mentioned using rick john for box gutter replacement, and their price was horrible. I never used them, but they have a good reputation.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM

618 posts, read 692,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I think I mentioned using rick john for box gutter replacement, and their price was horrible. I never used them, but they have a good reputation.
Who would you recommend for wooden box gutter replacement/reconstruction (rebuilding wood and resealing the coated tin)? Rick John's quote for mine was also outrageous.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM

There was a thread about box gutters last year, I think someone found a company that was fair. We only roof over them and install new gutters, I believe Meredith does the same.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
OP

Do you have ice dams?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Who would you recommend for wooden box gutter replacement/reconstruction (rebuilding wood and resealing the coated tin)? Rick John's quote for mine was also outrageous.
I would strongly advise against rebuilding box gutters, they will always require alot maintenance. Just remove them, and install aluminum hanging gutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh