Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 624,660 times

Advertisements

The salary you need to earn to buy a home in 27 major US cities | Daily Mail Online

A home buyer is San Francisco has to earn $142,448 to keep up with monthly payments of $3,323 for a median-priced house

Pittsburgh ranked the most affordable metro area requiring a salary of under $32,000

New York City, which has the highest mortgage rate at $4.22 per cent, was the fourth most unaffordable metro requiring homebuyers to earn $87,535
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Depending on location in Pittsburgh.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:34 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
I saw this and I was curious as to if it included all of Allegheny County or just the city? My guess is the whole county - whereas some inner city areas and suburbs are incorporated as one large district.

SF is just insane. Great walkable city. This week's weather here is the worst they get all year. But prices went from unaffordable to most to unaffordable to almost all. I have friends who make good money in tech and had to move 45 mins from SF to be able to afford a 3 bedroom bungalow fixer upper.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Depending on location in Pittsburgh.
Well, duh. Where are people getting the impression that Pittsburgh was once upon a time some sort of communist utopia where there was no such thing as class and wealth? The tony areas of the East End have always been out of reach for all but the upper classes.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Well, duh. Where are people getting the impression that Pittsburgh was once upon a time some sort of communist utopia where there was no such thing as class and wealth? The tony areas of the East End have always been out of reach for all but the upper classes.
Pittsburgh was like that when I first moved here. I remember a really cool duplex apartment for $750 in Lawrenceville. The same place would be at least twice that much now.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38748736-post13.html

The original page; the methodology

Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh was like that when I first moved here. I remember a really cool duplex apartment for $750 in Lawrenceville. The same place would be at least twice that much now.
And Lawrenceville back then had a lot less compelling reasons for wanting to live there too so it makes sense that the price has increased.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:58 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Quote:
The topic here is buying a home, not renting. Rents have increased all over the country because fewer people are buying and there is more pressure in the market.

A couple new neighborhoods in Pittsburgh have gentrified. But you wouldn't have been able to afford a house in Murdoch Farms 10 years ago any more than you would now. Shadyside, Highland Park, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, they have all been upper crusty and/or yuppie for decades. We bought our house 8 years ago and at that time the only non-slum east end neighborhoods we could even consider due to prices were Morningside, Stanton Heights and Swisshelm Park.

Ask anyone who bought a house during the bubble: homes in the vast majority of the city have not appreciated a whole heck of a lot.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I will say that a problem with Pittsburgh, though, is that most people's rents are much higher than most people's mortgages due to the rental shortage, so while it's true it's "much cheaper to buy than rent in Pittsburgh" it's also much more difficult for renters to scrape together the closing costs and down payment on their first home while OVERPAYING in rent, despite the fact that purchasing a home would actually be cheaper on a month-to-month basis once that barrier to entry has been cleared. My partner and I make much more combined than that $32,000 figure annually, yet we're not going to be able to buy our first home until 2016 or even 2017 potentially because of the money we've wasted on rent, coupled with student loans.

The sorts of houses I've been interested in buying would run me a total monthly payment of $400/month-$500/month, which I'd split in half with my partner. Currently we pay $700/month for a shabby apartment, and if we wanted to move elsewhere in the same neighborhood we'd have to shell out closer to $900/month for a 1-BR, further delaying my home purchase. In contrast, when I moved here just in 2010 I was paying $550/month for a nicer 1-BR and was told by long-timers in the neighborhood that was "a tad high for the neighborhood". Now just a few years later $900/month isn't even sneezed at, even for a studio.

Sure, the people on here who moved here from NoVA; DC; NYC; and San Francisco are thinking "$900/month for a studio?! What a bargain!!" Also bear in mind that the booming economy nationally has been benefiting everyone except for the working-class, whose wages have only risen to keep pace with inflation in recent years, so as median rents in my neighborhood have been steadily rising most people's incomes have been remaining flat. Most people I know are watching the stock market booming; seeing the wealthy get even wealthier; and are wondering "where's our raises?"

Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
Pittsburgh ranked the most affordable metro area requiring a salary of under $32,000
To be honest, all this shows is the amount of poverty in our city limits. Lets face it, we have way more poverty than other cities like San Francisco. Heck, even NYC has way less poverty than just back in the 90's. Pittsburgh has not grown. Having this much poverty is such a drag on schools, infrastructure and more because there is no money. You can't tax the working people too much or they will flee to suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh