Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:01 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I just don't understand why Westmoreland is so negative. It shouldn't be loosing population like Fayette is. Hempfield murrsyville Penn township are all growing areas and it doesn't seem like there's enough depressed areas to rule the county.
a natural fit for good commuter rail service since rail trip times are less than drive times from latrobe and greensburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Westmoreland is odd - it doesn't have the legacy of industry or coal that the other counties do, but has by far the largest population in Western PA after Allegheny. The right investment could turn it around, but what?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
For Beaver County, that's actually pretty good, considering some of the losses they've had.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:37 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I just don't understand why Westmoreland is so negative. It shouldn't be loosing population like Fayette is. Hempfield murrsyville Penn township are all growing areas and it doesn't seem like there's enough depressed areas to rule the county.
Check out pages 18-20 of this PDF. Growth is pretty much confined to the Pittsburgh tax flight exurbs and the "suburbs" of Greensburg. And it's not even that great there.

Edit: Also much of the "growing townships" are almost certainly stealing from the declining boroughs. E.G. Upper Burrell and Allegheny Township are almost certainly growing slightly because they're getting migrants from the New Kensington and Vandergrift areas. Pittsburgh exurban growth is basically nothing but Penn Township, Murrysville, North Huntington, Delmont, and Manor.

Last edited by eschaton; 03-26-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Any growth in population indicates a growth in jobs around here.

The Pittsburgh region has large numbers of seniors, who have a tendency to pass on and are past the child birth years.

The only way the city can gain population is to create employment opportunities that can motivate people from outside the area to move in.

Even though there isn't large growth, its still large enough to counterbalance the natural decrease in population in these parts.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
I'm far more curious about individual neighborhoods, or at least zip codes. But we probably won't have that info in any reliable way until 2020.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:26 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I swear traffic congestion has significantly worsened in/around the East End since I moved here in 2010, so apparently the East End is growing while everywhere else is sharting the bed.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I swear traffic congestion has significantly worsened in/around the East End since I moved here in 2010, so apparently the East End is growing while everywhere else is sharting the bed.
While the east end is undeniably growing, much more of the metro is as well. These are just estimates. Plus job growth in 2013 wasn't so hot so I'm not entirely shocked. The only real number will come after the 2020 census is taken.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The population isn't growing, just the wealth of its inhabitants.

There are no more people in Lawrenceville than there were in 2007 when I moved here, in fact there are probably fewer. But instead of households with 4 to 6 generational welfare cases inhabiting the homes, you'll have 1 or 2 with 2 or 3 cars. Incredibly harder to park here.

When I came here, I could park my car- a 95 Buick- easily any hour of the day or night, and it was the finest car on the block. Now its very difficult to get a parking space most evenings especially on the weekend.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The population isn't growing, just the wealth of its inhabitants.

There are no more people in Lawrenceville than there were in 2007 when I moved here, in fact there are probably fewer. But instead of households with 4 to 6 generational welfare cases inhabiting the homes, you'll have 1 or 2 with 2 or 3 cars. Incredibly harder to park here.

When I came here, I could park my car- a 95 Buick- easily any hour of the day or night, and it was the finest car on the block. Now its very difficult to get a parking space most evenings especially on the weekend.
You're probably right...for now. There are less abandoned/empty houses in Lawrenceville, but also probably slightly less residents per household, so it evens out.

Still, the first major new residential projects are in the works for down by the river. As with the South Side, this should be enough to start real population growth in the neighborhood again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh