Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,659 times

Advertisements

Anyone been there? What was it like through your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:42 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Several times. Assuming you are talking about whitewater rafting, it is pretty fun--most of it isn't too bad but there is some excitement, and then there is one terrifying and difficult part.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:45 AM

Are there any scenic overlooks in that area, where you can peek out for miles around?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Anyone been there? What was it like through your experience?
It's beautiful. Most known for it's white water rafting, but just as popular for biking the Great Allegheny Passage trail that travels through it. Lots of interesting stops along the bike trail, great fly fishing for Trout.

We have eaten at the Ohiopyle restaurant twice, and all I can say is beware. They always seem to hire terribly inexperienced waiters/waitresses......I don't think I've ever got my food in less than 45 minutes.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Are there any scenic overlooks in that area, where you can peek out for miles around?
I don't know if this counts as in the area, but on the way to or from Ohiopyle you can visit Laurel Caverns, which has an amazing overlook (it is on Chestnut Ridge, which is the last ridge before the plateau on which Pittsburgh sits, and on a clear day you can see USX). The caverns themselves are pretty cool too.

http://www.laurelcaverns.com/index.html (broken link)

Edit: This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but you can get the idea:

http://www.laurelcaverns.com/083.JPG (broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,794,705 times
The Laurel Highlands hiking trail extends from Ohiopyle north to near Johnstown (except, hopefully temporarily, for the Turnpike crossing). There are a lot of dirt hiking trails in the south side of Ohiopyle State Park, beyond just the rail trail.

Not too far from Ohiopyle but closer to Uniontown is a tract of Forbes State Forest with a grand see-off-the-edge overlook - if you take US 40 east out of Hopwood stop at the Lick Hollow picnic area (in summer daylight hours when it's open), then start hiking up the back and you get to the overlook in a mile. Or I guess you could drive some back roads to the overlook.

Near the WV border is Quebec Run Wild Area with several trail loops - I spent several enjoyable evenings around there when I was on business that took me to Fayette County.

I must say that though I've had no problems so far, it's evident from the trash and tracks left behind that some parts of this area, near roads passable at least with 4wd, attract local numbskulls.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't know if this counts as in the area, but on the way to or from Ohiopyle you can visit Laurel Caverns, which has an amazing overlook (it is on Chestnut Ridge, which is the last ridge before the plateau on which Pittsburgh sits, and on a clear day you can see USX). The caverns themselves are pretty cool too.

Laurel Caverns (http://www.laurelcaverns.com/index.html - broken link)

Edit: This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but you can get the idea:
Yeah, I've been up there before, the view is breathtaking. Another area with a similar view is along US Route 40 east of Uniontown, you drive up the mountain and at the top, you can see out for miles around.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,793 times
There are also natural water slides at Ohiopyle that you can take advantage of when the weather is warm in July and August. It is best to use them on those 90+ degree days as the water is still pretty chilly. Lots of fun though.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
It's beautiful. Most known for it's white water rafting, but just as popular for biking the Great Allegheny Passage trail that travels through it. Lots of interesting stops along the bike trail, great fly fishing for Trout.

We have eaten at the Ohiopyle restaurant twice, and all I can say is beware. They always seem to hire terribly inexperienced waiters/waitresses......I don't think I've ever got my food in less than 45 minutes.
What is the name of the restaurant? Does it get terribly busy or is it simply the lack of experience with the staff? I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide on dining out there.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,414 times
Ohiopyle State Park, PA - Overlooks

The Baughman Rock overlook is just up at the top of the hill from Ohiopyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh