Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:03 PM

110 posts, read 147,936 times

Advertisements

Analyzing Growth In Pennsylvania's Rural Counties | 90.5 WESA

Thought this was an interesting read. Why is kennametal moving to the city if growth is in exurban areas?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,250,320 times
Tough to say what Kennametal has in mind for the long run but that article is dead accurate.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
I dunno, those areas don't have sidewalks n'at.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I dunno, those areas don't have sidewalks n'at.
Perfect.

Moraine State Park is very close. Can walk and bike around there.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,922,451 times
The people moving to exurbs are coming from NY, Ohio, and West Virginia (all states with large drilling industries) and are usually non-married, non-white men. Sounds like workers coming to work in the gas industry.

I wouldn’t doubt that a lot of people are moving to where the jobs are in their industries so it only makes sense that people who actually work in the gas fields are moving to the exurbs. Those who work in finance, health care, higher education, and technology are most likely living closer in to the urban areas. This all makes sense due to the recent growth in the drilling industry. I would be interested to see if those number recede in the next few years due to the current condition of the industry.

The article says people are leaving cities for these areas, but I do not see where it actually says where they are leaving. I was under the impression that it was in-migration that it was referring to. So perhaps these people are leaving rural areas in NY, OH, and WV and moving to rural areas in PA.

As for Kennametal, they are planning for their future employees (i.e. Millennials) and as the article states those seem to be still choosing to live in urban centers. Kennametal does not need to be located in exurbs, and according to everything the company has said, they would be better off being in an urban area.

This doesn’t need to devolve into some sort of city/suburb argument as it is quite logical that people that work in the gas fields in the exurban counties would choose to live in the exurbs. I think this is something that people would actually support as it is a wise decision to not commute from the city to the fringe areas for work each day.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 PM

385 posts, read 310,151 times
It is absolutely unbelievable to me that Butler County Community Development Corporation Executive Director Ken Raybuck, a man whose job is to endorse his region, is endorsing his region. Truly unbelievable.

(The article spells it out, btw; those people can't afford to live in the urban areas. They move to the rural areas for the lower cost of living.)

Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM

Tell me about it. I'm still looking for the gas wells that are supposed to be out here in Cranberry.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The people moving to exurbs are coming from NY, Ohio, and West Virginia (all states with large drilling industries) and are usually non-married, non-white men. Sounds like workers coming to work in the gas industry.
Although my answer is mostly just snark and the above is probably the correct answer.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
It is absolutely unbelievable to me that Butler County Community Development Corporation Executive Director Ken Raybuck, a man whose job is to endorse his region, is endorsing his region. Truly unbelievable.

(The article spells it out, btw; those people can't afford to live in the urban areas. They move to the rural areas for the lower cost of living.)
Most of them are not married, have a job and at least a Bachelor's degree. They can certainly afford to live in urban areas. They just choose to pay less taxes and get the whole package, as mentioned. More for less is the case rather than less for more.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They can afford to live in urban areas. They just choose to pay less taxes, as mentioned. More for less is the case rather than less for more.
Doubtful; the first thing the article mentions as a reason to live in a rural area is lower taxes and lower cost of living.

Those of us who are unwilling to compromise our standard of living in order to pay lower taxes will continue to move to the city, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh