Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,997 times

Advertisements

Website here : PA Power Switch - Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission

We have not changed suppliers yet.. every time I go to read online reviews on these suppliers, there is an endless array of consumer complaints - that STOPS me in my tracks.... customers complaining they were pulled in by lower kWh rates, then their bills were even doubled .. how can this happen!!

What has been your experience.. and with WHO .. I was looking at Constellation Energy and Ambit .. but I can't bring myself to change -given the horrendous customer experiences I have read...

Want to hear from others , and their experiences. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 PM

54 posts, read 50,956 times
I switched from Duquesne Light to Green Mountain Energy when I first moved into my new house. I too was nervous due to the reviews, but made sure to get a fixed (not variable) rate. They explained everything clearly, multiple times (probably due to the complaints). When the fixed rate expired after 18 months, I got a notice by mail and email a month ahead with a reminder I'd go variable, and what the variable rate and rules were. I also had the option to re-lock a fixed rate at that time, which would then go into effect after my previous lock expired, so there was no loss of predictable coverage.

So far so good, but with the caveat that I haven't had to dispute any billing, nor have I stayed on variable for any period of time.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:33 PM

Thank you Dastars.. for your experience.. shortly after I posted this.. I signed up with Think Energy after seeing they had a A+ on the BBB.. though I noticed they have only been in business since June 2014...

Was paying 0.092 (per kWh) at Penn Power..

THink Energy is offering a 12 month FIXED for 0.0780 kWh...(no monthly fees, no cancellation fees, can get out of it anytime)... so I took the plunge !

I guess these rates can change at any time.. still waiting for the contract to come in my email though.. so I guess I haven't officially signed up -yet.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,651,229 times
A+ on BBB means very little. It is essentially a "pay to play" company.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,594,417 times
I also have thought about this subject but a couple of years ago with all of those polar vortexes I got slammed with a huge bill. Went from about $80/month in December to $200 in Jan and $400 in Feb..I was with 1st Energy. No warnings at all. Unfortunately it was a variable rate which was really low and great for the first couple of years. Won't ever go for a variable rate again. Now I am really gun shy about changing suppliers but the rates with Duquesne light seemed a but high last winter. I have electric heat so it's a bit of a concern.

I had been wondering about Green Mountain. I have seen them out and about talking to people in Oakland and Squirrel Hill recently.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
A+ on BBB means very little. It is essentially a "pay to play" company.
always a catch , isn't there.. I am trying to deal with Think Energy.. and so far the email they are trying to send through is not getting to me.. 2 attempts.. hmmm ..maybe I should not be switching.. not sure what to do..

I wish they had a Forum somewhere with this whole subject.. people talking about all these suppliers and their personal experiences..

What happened to you shadowfax -is what I am worried about.. if this was a consumer product.. it would be so easy to get satisfaction...like call your credit card company, do a dispute.. but this.. not sure how it works.. I've read far too many stories like yours ! YIKES! I am wondering if you signed up for a variable rate -not fixed - perhaps.. this need to makes sense for us.. the math working out as we signed..

Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,540,872 times
I have done it a few times. Basically, I always opt for a fixed rate for as long as possible. So, it hasn't been a big deal. Lately, the the last two companies have pulled out of the game so I have been forced to go to a new supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: