Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:36 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Somebody look up how white Arlington is please, I bet someone would make it a thread if they knew the truth... I get why you assumed that, there's a lot of black on black homicides in MO (since the early 2000's closer of St. Clair) yet its by no means a black neighborhood... White people & Hispanics do get shot there more frequently than other racially mixed hoods. Theres mery much white on white violence too, more so than mixed race violence. HOWEVER THE MEDIA WILL NOT DEPICT THIS. Like Catia and others said in another thread, much of the Southern Hilltop is a mess.
The following areas are majority neighborhoods with sometimes less then 35% black people yet African Americans practically make up at least 90% of 2000's-2010's homicide victems: Allentown, Arlington, Mt. Oliver, Northern Carrick, parts of Hazelwood (mainly the 4800 area opposed to Glenwood Mansion-Alluivain St), Tweed St/Sacremto Ave area Sheraden, rough parts of Elliott/McKees Rocks, Marshall-Shadeland, Coraopolis, Kelly West/Pebbles Sq area Wilkinsburg, the roughest wards of McKeesport, southern North Braddock, East Pittsburgh, Wilson District of Clairton & parts of Homestead/Walnut St sliver of West Homestead.

If your a a$$hole black gang member in the racially mixed Arlington street gang then you statistically might almost be safer repping in Beltzhoover or Northern Knoxville where there more gang-related shooting incidents & tripple the homicides than Arlington...just because there's that much shooting in a < 15% black community.
Its not just Allegheny Co
Beaver County's Aliquippa, Ambridge, Beaver Falls, Rochester
Washington Co: Washington, Donora
Westmoreland Co: New Ken, Arnold, Monossen, Jeannette
Fayette Co: Uniontown, Brownsville, etc
2010 Census Interactive Population Map

Arlington
White - 67.2%
Black - 30.7%
Asian - 0.6%
Hispanic - 1.4%
Other - 0.1%

FYI I believe Allentown is majority Black now Uptown. Although you are right - most of the areas on the hilltop are in the 30-50% range. I think roughly its

Beltzhoover - 90%
St. Clair/City Mount Oliver - 80%
Knoxville - 60%
Allentown - 50%
Mount Oliver - 40%
Arlington - 30%
Carrick - 20%
Bon Air - < 10%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:45 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Tons of white people getting shot these days, so I guess the old black on black crime is a thing of the past. A 20 something year old was just shot in New Kensington and another in McKeesport. I think you are going to see a continued trend. It will just keep elevating with young people exposed to an amazing amount of violence/hype. I hate to say it, but I think you are going to see a lot more random shootings in and around cities. Oh well, it was a nice day today other than that little rain spell. Looks like a nice week coming up. Might as well enjoy it..... while we can.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
These shootings aren't random though. The random shootings like the one in Colorado Springs with multiple victims are the ones without the ulterior motive that is usually drug related.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:08 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
I don't think there is anything that can be done to prevent a drug related shooting.

If there is a dispute in other areas of commerce, about price or quality or payment for services, or market share or territorial rights, the disputees can appeal to the police or the courts.

Those involved in the drug trade don't have those avenues of relief, they only have violence.

If guns weren't available, other means are around to settle disputes.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 AM

BS the guns are the means to settle the disputes. These guys aren't going to conduct drive by stoning.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
BS the guns are the means to settle the disputes. These guys aren't going to conduct drive by stoning.

I did some research, its available on the internet if you care to look.

History tells of events like the Crusades, famous battles like Cannae and Hastings, assassinations and murders of important and famous people like Caesar and Caligula, all conducted before the invention of firearms.

Yes, Violence existed before guns were invented, I know its shocking but there is no reason to think that violence won't continue after the people's firearms are confiscated.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think there is anything that can be done to prevent a drug related shooting.

If there is a dispute in other areas of commerce, about price or quality or payment for services, or market share or territorial rights, the disputees can appeal to the police or the courts.

Those involved in the drug trade don't have those avenues of relief, they only have violence.

If guns weren't available, other means are around to settle disputes.
I agree that making guns "unavailable" won't fix anything (primarily because there are so many in circulation that this is an impossibility plus they are already illegal possessing the ones they have anyways); but locking people up for a very long time for any and all firearms related felonies (and stop locking people up for other things) will most certainly reduce drug related shootings as almost universally when a gang murder occurs & the perp is caught they have a long rap sheet of illegal firearm possessions which they get a slap on the wrist for until they get caught killing someone.
Have an illegal gun or commit a felony while in the possession of a firearm - automatic 30 years in prison, no chance of a plea bargain, no chance of parole. Simple.

There's too many good people in the world for me to care about some young men who throw their lives away by making poor choices as when said poor choices involves a gun there's a lot at stake for others' lives.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:13 AM

Aren't guns strictly controlled in the UK? I'll bet there's a drug trade there are the murders committed without a firearm as commonplace as murders committed here with guns? Flip it and reduce the severity of the punishment for drugs and increase the severity of illegally owning a firearm would be a great start. Get caught with an illegal gun, straight to jail for a mandatory sentence.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Aren't guns strictly controlled in the UK? I'll bet there's a drug trade there are the murders committed without a firearm as commonplace as murders committed here with guns? Flip it and reduce the severity of the punishment for drugs and increase the severity of illegally owning a firearm would be a great start. Get caught with an illegal gun, straight to jail for a mandatory sentence.
A bigger difference is that the UK doesn't have anywhere near the problem with things like heroin & that even when guns were more prevalent, the issues with violence were always much less. (Face it the US has always been a disproportionately more violent society). I don't see any way to stop keeping guns out of the hands of criminals here as so many (tens of millions?) are floating around illegally already it doesn't seem possible to stop the ease of availability (plus I'm generally not a fan of curtailing freedoms of non-criminals for most things).

I find it easier to make it unattractive to use a gun in the risk/reward spectrum. No, this won't stop everyone from packing but for those that do & get picked up for lesser crimes, hopefully it puts them away long before they have a chance to actually use it to kill someone & maybe some others will think twice before they do something stupid.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I did some research, its available on the internet if you care to look.

History tells of events like the Crusades, famous battles like Cannae and Hastings, assassinations and murders of important and famous people like Caesar and Caligula, all conducted before the invention of firearms.

Yes, Violence existed before guns were invented, I know its shocking but there is no reason to think that violence won't continue after the people's firearms are confiscated.
Hard drugs find their way into the hands of people illegally too, but the vast majority in society is fine with taking measures to keep them out of the hands of kids and idiots. Too bad the gun lobby is too greedy to allow reasonable regulations to attempt the same with firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh