Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,276,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
In another five years the hipster fad of popularizing food trucks will be gone and they will go back to the job sites where they originated as a convenience not a choice.

I bet you will also see allot of food truck business go bankrupt and you will be able to get the trucks cheap past 2020.

Food from food trucks isn't that inexpensive.

I think there will always be a demand for it at concerts and festival for such grub, but I foresee a return to the American tradition of brownbagging it for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,107,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
In another five years the hipster fad of popularizing food trucks will be gone and they will go back to the job sites where they originated as a convenience not a choice.

I bet you will also see allot of food truck business go bankrupt and you will be able to get the trucks cheap past 2020.
The food trucks scene in Pittsburgh hit its high point in the mid 90's IMO. That was before the city cracked down on them and removed them from the curbs in front of Hillman library. The city really wanted that space which was turned into Schenley Plaza and in came crap restaurants/kiosk food vendors. This isn't some recent thing in Pittsburgh by a long shot.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:03 PM

288 posts, read 512,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Food from food trucks isn't that inexpensive.
You would think a food truck with cheaper overhead, no building, and less employees would be cheap. Or you would think they would use the lower costs to give you a more gourmet meal. I find that most of the food trucks are just a gimmicky thing that they get to gouge you on as the public is still intrigued by the thought of buying food from a truck.

The only time I find it is nice is when breweries plan to have food truck service. I think that gets them around some sort of legality of needing a liquour license if they're selling their beer on premise and food.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:12 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
For downtown Food Trucks could be stationed at the many open surface Parking lots ... Penn & 9th, Grant & Forbes... Even along Commonwealth Place, in front of the Point. Hell even use the some of the Parking lanes on Smithfield from Forbes to Oliver.
During the Light Up Night festivities, the food trucks were parked in the Smithfield street parking lanes. The food trucks were stretched from Sixth Ave to Fifth Ave. There were so many options to choose from.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
why aren't you a fan of gilman? he's been very helpful to me and i'm not even in his district.
He's a Peduto puppet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
They do use a bit of a regular rotating spot in the lot across from the City-County Building. BRGR's Truck has been there frequently and there was a stone fired pizza oven that was parked there a few days this summer. I don't get over that way frequently so I don't know how often it's used or if any other trucks have been there.
The pizza truck was in that lot on a weekly basis - at least once or twice a week, every week, this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAndyK View Post
Yeah, BRGR and a pizza one in the Grant St. parking lot, both overpriced and not very good.

I do like the one outside the subway station near the Mellon bulding /steel plaza....good hot dogs/hot sausage, and a good price. Not a truck per se, but more of a cart.

I think we need more carts, not trucks. Like NYC, there are carts all over the place. Doesn't take up a parking space, and can be set up anywhere.
I know which one you're talking about, never tried it.
I loved the Berlin Street Food cart that was set up at the courthouse every Friday this summer! A good gyro and Apfelschorle. :-)

Old 12-08-2015, 10:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,999,284 times
I like food trucks. They get to specialize in small menus that generally wouldn't work paying full rent in a brick and mortar.

However, I've had the displeasure of having one right outside my door. The generator was LOUD. IMO, it should be mandatory that food trucks use quieter inverter generators.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,908,683 times
WTG - Win Win Win ... I love progress.

Quote:
Food truck bill advances through Pittsburgh City Council committee

Food truck bill advances through Pittsburgh City Council committee | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,712,896 times
I wonder if anyone has told Darlene Harris that the year 1968 is over? Talk about a relic on almost every important city issue!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:44 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,908,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wonder if anyone has told Darlene Harris that the year 1968 is over? Talk about a relic on almost every important city issue!
Look at her district .... and they keep reelecting her, so what does that tell you.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,712,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Look at her district .... and they keep reelecting her, so what does that tell you.
Most people in the Central North Side and Allegheny West that I know strongly dislike her. I guess we can blame the fine folks of Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill for re-electing her? This entire city is shifting more educated and more liberal. I don't foresee her winning another term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh