Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If you don't quote him, those of us who have him on ignore will have neither the ability nor the desire to provoke him. If you put him on ignore, the benefits can be endless, for you and the rest of us.
Wait, what? Is there a way to make people invisible in here? I didn't know that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Do you know the answers to those questions? I doubt that you do because they don't support your contentions.

Many, including Eschaton, have addressed these questions and others of their ilk ad nauseum on this forum.

See below for just one example:
What would YOU do about Pittsburgh's schools?

Please, I beg you two to not ruin yet another thread with this nonsense.
Interesting as I was just one to agree. I totally understand that some have a disdain for certain areas, however, that disdain shouldn't permit the truth from being ignored when relevant information is given.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
These guys pass up no opportunity to criticize city schools. It's an obvious agenda to virtually anyone reading the thread.
I haven't seen one post where one has criticized city schools. Only ones that show differences.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
OMG this is bliss.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
This is exactly what I meant when I said that discussing school districts is the fast track to picking a fight around here. There are two schools of thought: one is that a great school produces great kids; the other is that great families produce great kids, and that a high concentration of kids who are demographically predicted to succeed will make a school look great. Since we all feel very strongly about how we educate our own children, there's really no way to "win" this fight. We all just have to raise our kids as we see fit, and for many of us PPS is the right choice.
Yep. If it was any old person relocating to the city I wouldn't have brought it up, but given their desires in terms of a community, their budget, and their likely need to be in a place convenient to Oakland, I thought it was worth bringing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I'd wager that there's a better chance of Fox Chapel getting them into Yale and Yale making them a better Doctor than PPS getting them into Yale, and Case making them a better doctor. However, I'm sure that's not always the end result.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but it's pretty well known that the admissions departments at universities think that top students from major urban school systems are a bigger get than those from the suburbs. They probably fill some internal "diversity" quota as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If you mentioned a top suburban school vs a top PPS school, what would the majority look at as better?
All sorts of things have been popular, including Adam Sandler movies, the Eagles, and Bud Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
Your child is in a magnet program though. How good of a chance do students have of getting into this program? In addition, this is a skewed representation as it is made up of the high achievers in the city.
A few years back the Post Gazette posted an article showing the overall odds. I worked it out to an 85% chance of getting into one of my three choices for Kindergarten.

The magnet system is somewhat skewed, because you have to apply, meaning only those parents who care about education bother. But it's not merit based - entrance is a lottery. It's true that kids, if they are troublemakers, can get kicked back into the neighborhood schools. It happened to one kid in my daughter's Kindergarten - he didn't come back this year.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:13 PM

Again, sounds like more opinion than anything, and hopes of getting into a magnet school.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A few years back the Post Gazette posted an article showing the overall odds. I worked it out to an 85% chance of getting into one of my three choices for Kindergarten.

The magnet system is somewhat skewed, because you have to apply, meaning only those parents who care about education bother. But it's not merit based - entrance is a lottery. It's true that kids, if they are troublemakers, can get kicked back into the neighborhood schools. It happened to one kid in my daughter's Kindergarten - he didn't come back this year.
Thank you for the answer! I was seriously curious and don't want to be lumped in with some other posters. Those are good odds, but I still think some people would be reluctant to set down roots even with the small chance that they will have to send their kid to an inferior school.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
Thank you for the answer! I was seriously curious and don't want to be lumped in with some other posters. Those are good odds, but I still think some people would be reluctant to set down roots even with the small chance that they will have to send their kid to an inferior school.
Of course, it's not a one time lottery. You can continue to apply year after year.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Of course, it's not a one time lottery. You can continue to apply year after year.
Do the odds hold steady at 85% at grades higher than Kindergarten? If so, that's a 2.25% (.15^2) chance of not getting in by 1st grade and a 0.3% (.15^3) chance of not getting in by 2nd.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:34 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Do the odds hold steady at 85% at grades higher than Kindergarten? If so, that's a 2.25% (.15^2) chance of not getting in by 1st grade and a 0.3% (.15^3) chance of not getting in by 2nd.
I think it would be really hard to calculate. The only slots available are those which open up due to children leaving the schools. PPS doesn't even list open slots for the higher grades at the general magnet enrollment date (only later, when there the open enrollment period for magnet slots which weren't filled during the lottery). At the same time, relatively few parents bother to apply between kindergarten and 6th grade. The one case I'm aware of where a parent got her child into a magnet at a later time involved some sort of direct lobbying of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh