Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,973,967 times

Advertisements

I believe the affordable rentals are in the Mellon Orchard development north of the Whole Foods site near where the old AAA building is. I guess it's still called Penn Circle North at the intersection of Euclid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM

994 posts, read 902,478 times
What is the definition of affordable housing? What monthly rent is considered affordable?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,973,967 times
I'm not an expert on affordability, but I think it's the price of an apartment that two people making a certain amount of money can afford without it going over 35 or 40 percent of their income. The number of children may be factored into the equation, as well. I'm sure there's a website about it.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I'm not an expert on affordability, but I think it's the price of an apartment that two people making a certain amount of money can afford without it going over 35 or 40 percent of their income. The number of children may be factored into the equation, as well. I'm sure there's a website about it.
I'm sure there is info on the web too, but I don't feel like putting in the time to figure it out. Though, it should be defined and easy to find by the folks who are pushing for a tax increase to support affordable housing.

I'd rather the efforts go into helping low income individuals find homes that they can afford on their own so they have a stake in it's improvement, and considering that home values in Pittsburgh are still pretty low, there are plenty of affordable homes for just about everyone in and outside of the city. Just giving people nice stuff or lumping them all together into single buildings will keep them poor.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:31 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I'm sure there is info on the web too, but I don't feel like putting in the time to figure it out. Though, it should be defined and easy to find by the folks who are pushing for a tax increase to support affordable housing.

I'd rather the efforts go into helping low income individuals find homes that they can afford on their own so they have a stake in it's improvement, and considering that home values in Pittsburgh are still pretty low, there are plenty of affordable homes for just about everyone in and outside of the city. Just giving people nice stuff or lumping them all together into single buildings will keep them poor.
I agree to an extent. There are plenty of low cost neighborhoods that if low income people were helped to own homes in could get those areas to really flourish possibly. Heavy concentrations of poverty make it even harder to get above it.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Maxx, I disagree with this. Giant Eagle is hardly "unbelievably bad". Why is IT so busy most of the time? The Centre Avenue store is excellent for most people's needs.
Giant Eagle is something unique to western Pennsylvania, which naturally means that it sucks in many people's minds. Seriously, the way people talk about it, you'd think that those who shop there regularly would all die of food poisoning before long.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,967,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree to an extent. There are plenty of low cost neighborhoods that if low income people were helped to own homes in could get those areas to really flourish possibly. Heavy concentrations of poverty make it even harder to get above it.
Affordable housing is not for the poverty stricken. Affordable housing is for the working class. Affordable and stable housing leads to future home ownership. It also gives children a safe, modern community to grow and prosper. Affordable housing does not equal 1940 style projects. Affordable housing is typically scattered site housing with Port Authority employees living along side home health aides and service workers. Affordable housing keeps many of these people out of poverty.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM

539 posts, read 524,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I'm not a Republican but I also get a kick out of the switch of the greenie liberal Democrats becoming the new yuppies. North Side is next. Developers have to be chomping at the bit to close down Northview Heights and the other public housing.
what's happening is there are two types of democrats now. Lower income people and new "elite" younger people. Basically, what Republican ideals would be attractive to younger well educated people? Low taxes is really the only thing I can think of. In general, young millennials with college degrees want to live in diverse, exciting places. The vast majority of Trump supporters live in the sticks or suburbs. At best they get a taste of city life when they come for a concert or work.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Affordable housing is not for the poverty stricken. Affordable housing is for the working class. Affordable and stable housing leads to future home ownership. It also gives children a safe, modern community to grow and prosper. Affordable housing does not equal 1940 style projects. Affordable housing is typically scattered site housing with Port Authority employees living along side home health aides and service workers. Affordable housing keeps many of these people out of poverty.
My argument is that there is already affordable housing in Pittsburgh that even most folks making a low wage can afford. We should be focusing more on helping people to obtain their own homes. That usually means hard work and sacrifice.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,967,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
My argument is that there is already affordable housing in Pittsburgh that even most folks making a low wage can afford. We should be focusing more on helping people to obtain their own homes. That usually means hard work and sacrifice.
As I said earlier affordable housing leads to home ownership. If there was enough affordable housing in Pittsburgh we would not have to discuss it now. This is not a local crisis it is a national crisis. PHFA works with low and moderate income families and assist with low interest loans for housing. Dollar Bank is one of the biggest lenders to members that complete the program. How will you obtain a home mortgage if you are financially strapped with zero or bad credit? PHFA assists with credit recovery and financial planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh