Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 04:54 PM

255 posts, read 284,982 times

Advertisements

City Council To Hold Meeting On Pittsburgh Police Response Policy « CBS Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh City Council will hold a public hearing this afternoon on changes to the police response policy.

The chief of police presented a list of 14 types of calls that would be handled by phone, meaning the public won’t always get an officer sent to them if there’s not much in the way of evidence to collect.

Things like burglaries, theft, minor accidents. Instead, a report would be filed over the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Um, I actually work for the Telephone Report Unit. An officer is ALWAYS sent to the scene for a burglary or attempted burglary. We only take burglary SUPPLEMENTS over the phone. For example, if you find the serial number for your stolen laptop, we'll add it over the phone. This unit has been around since 2005. I don't know why only now certain city council members are finding out we exist. It seems like whomever created the unit in 2005 did a bad job back then of publicizing its inception, leading to all this confusion today.

If there's any possibility the complainant may be in any danger, we always send an officer. I also never understood the uproar recently from domestic violence shelters when we never have and never will take reports involving domestic violence, a PFA, or a No Contact Order over the phone.

My job has been an absolute nightmare the past few weeks because of this.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 AM

595 posts, read 601,079 times
Shortly after I moved here, I found that someone broke into my car and stole a backpack with my dirty gym clothes (I'm sure they were delighted to find such a great score). Either way, my experience prior to living in Pittsburgh was that for non-emergencies to call the station directly to file a report. In doing so, the lady told me to call 911 and hung up on me.

Needless to say, I never called 911 because I felt awkward calling an emergency number for a non-emergency.

If there was a number to call for these types of things, that would be just swell. It's super weird to call 911 (and I feel like a waste of resources too) for a non-emergent situation.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM

130 posts, read 199,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Shortly after I moved here, I found that someone broke into my car and stole a backpack with my dirty gym clothes (I'm sure they were delighted to find such a great score). Either way, my experience prior to living in Pittsburgh was that for non-emergencies to call the station directly to file a report. In doing so, the lady told me to call 911 and hung up on me.

Needless to say, I never called 911 because I felt awkward calling an emergency number for a non-emergency.

If there was a number to call for these types of things, that would be just swell. It's super weird to call 911 (and I feel like a waste of resources too) for a non-emergent situation.
I had the same thing happen to me. Although it was not gym clothes. I called 911 as I wanted to get the report filed.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
We have to have a complainant call 911 first before a call can be routed to our unit because 911 divvies out police report numbers. I can't just have you call my desk phone and then pull a report number out of my hat. 911 assigns them. Unfortunately one of our zones consistently tells people to call our desk number. When I answer and politely ask people to call 911 to have the call routed back to me so I can have a police report number assigned to me people tend to be incredibly annoyed.

It's not a perfect system, but MOST major cities have a unit like ours that handles non-emergency calls. I don't know why we were such a shock to some on city council when we were around since 2005.

I also want to encourage people to always report crimes whenever possible. Even if someone breaks into your car but doesn't cause any damage or steal anything, that's still a crime.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM

130 posts, read 199,604 times
Next time I called 911 was when a small section of Pierce Mill Road next to North Park Lake was black ice. Lots of people pulled over and lots sliding around. I figured this was enough of an emergency as it was only a matter of time before there was an accident. Scary stuff right next to a lake.

Nobody picked up.

Called again and nobody picked up

I did get a call back about 10 minutes later.

Glad I personally was not in intimidate life threatening danger. If the time to pick up call that day is 10 minutes then plus time to dispatch and for emergency service to arrive.

Everyone be prepared, as good as our first respondents are 911 is not %100 and the best response time may be minutes when seconds count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh