Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Wow, why not slide a rebar down the block and fill full of grout. The beams seem to be overkill.
Because it was a finished house and filling the blocks would have been harder than putting in the beams.

A block wall that's 50' long and completely underground in this environment (with freeze/thaw) and dirt against the outside of the block is pretty sure to bow. If done properly when the house was built, there should be gravel and drains outside and either step walls or pilasters inside. My approach fixed both with the beams being the pilasters.

With 2 of us, we did the whole thing in 2 days and a total cost of about $2000. This was about 15 years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:49 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Because it was a finished house and filling the blocks would have been harder than putting in the beams.

A block wall that's 50' long and completely underground in this environment (with freeze/thaw) and dirt against the outside of the block is pretty sure to bow. If done properly when the house was built, there should be gravel and drains outside and either step walls or pilasters inside. My approach fixed both with the beams being the pilasters.

With 2 of us, we did the whole thing in 2 days and a total cost of about $2000. This was about 15 years ago.

Great information, and kudos for solving this problem on your own (with help). All that, plus four tons of gravel, for ONLY $2k, though?

"Step walls and pilasters inside"...why? The pilasters help with the static load, because they are beefier, and the load is transferred to them?

Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
Was there a suggestion that we didn't get an inspection? We did, by a reputable inspector. The main issues were hidden behind finished walls. I've torn out the drywall and that's where I discovered them.
You may want to contact an attorney to review your situation.

If the sellers put up that finished wall, and didn't list foundation problems in the disclosure, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against them for not disclosing the issue.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 AM

That's 40 tons, not 4 tons. When I did this, gravel was only about $10/ton so that 40 ton cost $400. Price is probably double that right now. I live a lot closer to the gravel pit so my pricing may be better than what you would pay in the city, even if you could get tri-axle dump trucks to your location. They just dumped it in front of my house and we used our tractor loaders to move and dump it which doesn't take long.

I paid about $500 in labor and for his backhoe/loader. Beams and concrete were another $5-700 and the pipe was probably $500 so yea, I was done for about $2000.

For the pilasters, here's an easy look at the bow issue and the pilaster fix.
Dwyer Company - Residential Bowed Wall Stabilization with Steel Tie Back and Pilaster Systems
I put the pilasters against the block then braced the top and concreted the bottom.

Instead of using exterior tie backs, the gravel with drain pipes just keep the pressure off the wall so it doesn't happen again.

Here's a picture that caught my eye. Imagine what would happen to that wall if you applied pressure to the other side of it and it didn't have these step (buttress) walls.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Great information, and kudos for solving this problem on your own (with help). All that, plus four tons of gravel, for ONLY $2k, though?

"Step walls and pilasters inside"...why? The pilasters help with the static load, because they are beefier, and the load is transferred to them?
Pilasters do beef up a wall dramatically. I was saying that the beams were overkill because once he had the foundation excavated, pilasters could have been added to the wall on the exterior without damaging the inside or having beams exposed. Pilasters are easy to install and can be built on the existing footer or a footer extension. I always removed a piece of the concrete block at the top of the wall and at the bottom, drilled the footer inside the wall, ran a piece of 5/8 rebar from the footer to the top and filled the cell with concrete. I use my concrete vibrator to vibrate the rebar to remove air. If you do that every 4' you will never see the repair and the wall will never move. The current building code calls for block walls to have vertical rebar and grouting.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I was saying that the beams were overkill because once he had the foundation excavated, pilasters could have been added to the wall on the exterior without damaging the inside or having beams exposed.
Agreed, we could have put them on the outside. It was a bare/empty basement that I finished after the wall fix (no way I was going to finish over a bowed wall). The pilasters at 16' matched to our plans of finishing the basement into rooms so they're not protruding. they're in the walls.

Edit to add: The other reason is we didn't put in any trench shoring so we really didn't want to be in the trench...

Last edited by RyanR; 12-09-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Agreed, we could have put them on the outside. It was a bare/empty basement that I finished after the wall fix (no way I was going to finish over a bowed wall). The pilasters at 16' matched to our plans of finishing the basement into rooms so they're not protruding. they're in the walls.
I am not criticizing your job, I am just letting the op know there are ways to hide a repair instead of the expensive anchors or interior fixes.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You may want to contact an attorney to review your situation.

If the sellers put up that finished wall, and didn't list foundation problems in the disclosure, you may be able to bring a lawsuit against them for not disclosing the issue.
Good luck with that. Waste of money. I would just call Mathews Wall Anchor as I suggested. It is a proven system and been around a very long time.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Good luck with that. Waste of money. I would just call Mathews Wall Anchor as I suggested. It is a proven system and been around a very long time.
The problem with Mathews is it doesn't eliminate the original problem, for the same type of money you can add the exterior drain and fix the wall.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Edit to add: The other reason is we didn't put in any trench shoring so we really didn't want to be in the trench...
Trust me I know, I have been in some wickedly scary trenches. I had a boss out of highschool who would tell us if the trench started to collapse to raise a hand up so he can put a chain around our wrist and pull us up with the backhoe. I don't think he clearly thought out his plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh