Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM

116 posts, read 179,829 times

Advertisements

I am diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Therefore my primary care physician and other ones I saw don't feel comfortable prescribing me antipsychotics and benzodiazapams for my anxiety and depression. They all keep saying "you need to see a psychiatrist". As if it's so easy to set up an appointment with one! I tried calling so many Psychiatrists and either they don't accept patients anymore, or they require me to see a therapist in their group for like 3 to 6 months, then I could see a psychiatrist. I already have a therapist I love and connect with who helps me. I really don't want to see anyone else.

I don't want to see other therapists just so I have a psychiatrist​. It isn't fair and I feel like I'm giving up hope. I have Medicaid. UPMC For You insurance. I called so many Psychiatrists and alot of them didn't get back to me. It really sucks. Any suggestions on what I should do? Because these regular doctors act like it's so easy to get in with a psychiatrist. I'm at my wits end and need help. I've been in and out of the psych ward too just so I would see a psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
If you truly need meds, you can try going to the DEC at WPIC. You may be there for a day or two, and it may be an unpleasant experience - but you should be able to get a script to hold you over until you're set up with a follow-up appointment.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM

And if you're truly in a crisis, please call Re:Solve
re:solve Crisis Network

Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Tyovan, I just tried going to Western Psych yesterday. I was trying to go inpatient because I did feel suicidal but more importantly I need my psych meds. I'm on a crappy Anti depressant from my PCP which is not doing anything for me! I need my regular meds but my PCP refuses to prescribe it and wants a psychiatrist to prescribe it. Western Psych said they had no beds and literally just said "bye" to me. They thought I wasn't a "danger" to myself when I really am. They completely screwed me over. I'll never go there again. Thank you for the suggestion anyways. Resolve won't do anything for me either. It's all one big mess. But thanks anyways.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM

I'm trying to see a psychiatrist that will accept medical records or something because it's such BS that they make you wait and jump through hoops to get help. I need to just see a psychiatrist doctor and I'll be fine. They make it so difficult.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:53 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Dear OP,

At the risk of sounding as if I am stating the obvious: Have you discussed this and asked for help from your therapist? If he/she has been working with you and understands you and your issues and your need for meds, perhaps he/she can intervene on your behalf with a psychiatrist, by phoning and making a referral and cutting through all the new patient red tape the offices require. As well, the urgency from a concerned provider, that knows you, may make a difference in the speed with which you might be seen. He/she should have a panel of docs to work with and discuss treatment plans etc. I urge you to phone your therapist immediately for help or go to an emergency department and explain to the staff what you have shared with this forum.

It must be so frustrating and scary to feel alone and confused and anxious regarding this medical condition. Please find someone that will stay with you and be by your side, physically, while you deal with finding the assist you need.

Please call a suicide hotline if you are having thoughts of treating your pain in that manner.

Please let this forum know how you are doing whenever you feel comfortable doing so.

I care and there are probably people in your life who really care and would love to hear from you, also. Contact them.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:56 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Your therapist should be on this already! Why hasn't she/he?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM

OP, a kudos to you for having gone to WPIC and asked for help! That is a huge accomplishment in and of itself.

I'm truly sorry that they turned you away and that you feel the way you do.

I would ask that you please call 911 - and when the ambulance is transporting you, explain the situation and ask to be evaluated somewhere other than WPIC.

There are people who care, and there are resources available to you - even though neither may seem like the case.

As someone who has worked at WPIC, and who has buried a family member who committed suicide - I ask you to please call 911.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Most therapists should be able to make a qualified referral on your behalf to a recommended psychiatrist. I wish you nothing but the best of luck! As someone who was formerly suffering from mental illness that included strong feelings of suicide I can certainly empathize with your situation. Our country doesn't have nearly as many resources devoted to mental health care evaluation and treatment as it should.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
My wife is bipolar. He last dr retired without warning. It took forever to get an appointment with a new doctor. Call your upmc insurance, they have a division called community care that does all the mental health stuff. They were a big help in getting a new dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh