Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:32 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times

Advertisements

Really like those slices of Pittsburgh on Youtube. I would have thought only Pittsburghers would "get it".

Yinz get home before dark, 'n'at: Pittsburgh Dad shines in 'Street Light Stories' | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I think Hollywood considered a series, but it didn't get past the pilot stage. Heard it used Pittsburghese with subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFqcnuWam0

Ah...the memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
I never really watched Pittsburgh Dad, but that episode was pretty good.

As someone that grew up in Pittsburgh in the 1980's, the opening brought back some memories.

Thanks for posting the vid.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:53 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
I just don't get why everyone thinks this guy is funny. I guess it's me, but for my money Greg & Donny (who were first, by the way) does such a better job of this.

Greg & Donny

Old 07-20-2017, 06:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I just don't get why everyone thinks this guy is funny. I guess it's me, but for my money Greg & Donny (who were first, by the way) does such a better job of this.

Greg & Donny

I'm a big Greg and Donny fan as well. Their parody of "It's a Wonderful Life" was pretty good.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

Greg & Donny
It's not just you. Pittsburgh Dad is not funny.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post

I have it paused at 7:01...still can't get through it, although Aunt Linda just showed up looking pretty hot, so I might finish watching.
This video is unbearable. Every line of dialogue by the adults is spoken for the sake of the pittsburgh accent. Is there an actual plot here?
I did like the montage of the kids playing. We did the same thing - just drop your bike wherever, grab a little hug wherever you can get 'em...

Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I have it paused at 7:01...still can't get through it, although Aunt Linda just showed up looking pretty hot, so I might finish watching.
This video is unbearable. Every line of dialogue by the adults is spoken for the sake of the pittsburgh accent. Is there an actual plot here?
I did like the montage of the kids playing. We did the same thing - just drop your bike wherever, grab a little hug wherever you can get 'em...
Give Greg & Donny a try. It's actually funny.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I liked him for a time, but I haven't found him funny or watched his videos in a couple years now. I remember a couple years ago after appearing at a Pirate game and some writers said they didn't find him to be funny, he didn't take it too well on Twitter. I also highly doubt "only in Pittsburgh" did people used to say come home when the street lights come on.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:55 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Greg and Donny and Pittsburgh Dad are great.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I liked him for a time, but I haven't found him funny or watched his videos in a couple years now. I remember a couple years ago after appearing at a Pirate game and some writers said they didn't find him to be funny, he didn't take it too well on Twitter. I also highly doubt "only in Pittsburgh" did people used to say come home when the street lights come on.
Humor is of course subjective, and a lot of people think he's funny, but it's pretty simple humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh