Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,088 times

Advertisements

I find Pittsburgh mostly friendly. I do mostly socialize with non-natives because I work at Pitt.
My neighborhood is actually very friendly and there are many natives there (ironic,because the OP finds Greenfield 'depressing'). My neighbors are quick to clear each other's sidewalks when there is snow or to rake leaves from other yards. My mom fell out front when visiting and three neighbors came out to make sure she was okay.
I grew up in the south and people there are more friendly in ways like saying hello to everyone you pass on the sidewalk. However, my family complains that things have become less friendly in the past few decades since there has been so much migration from the northeast/midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Not all natives are yinzers. Not even all working-class white natives are yinzers, but that demo is the gatekeeper of yinzerism.
Okay, I didn't think being a Yinzer was a racial category. I always thought there were black Yinzers too. In fact I find the fraternity between blacks and whites in Pittsburgh astonishing. Other cities like Boston and New York are far more segregated. This is a highly integrated city. This is the land of salt and pepper.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
No, I think you've now just proven my point bud, haven't you? There is no backhanded here. I'm being upfront. I've noticed older Yinzers are super nice and super friendly. Like the 70 or 80 and up crowd. They take pride in their homes and run a tight ship. Those people I have a lot of respect for. You know the ones that clean their homes and their yards. The ones that are proud of having raised good honest hardworking children and grandchildren. Is that backhanded to you?
As explained above, "yinzer" is often used as a deragotary term that is used to describe the "backwards" natives that reside in the area. "New Pittsburgh" is comprised of more than just transplants. That being said, I am part of new pittsburgh but i'm not beyond telling someone off for generalizing a portion of people based on preconceived thoughts. If that makes me "unfriendly", I don't care. So maybe that is your answer. Some people don't feel the need to be fake to appease others. It is likely your actions are soliciting negative response from people, as noted by your mindset in this and other threads.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Yinzers and their ancestors built this city and made it great, which is the reason why all these millennial hipsters want to move here. Yinzers are as friendly and welcoming as can be, have tight knit families and love their city. I'm proud to be one of them. With a big friggen long Polish last name to go with it.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I find Pittsburgh mostly friendly. I do mostly socialize with non-natives because I work at Pitt.
My neighborhood is actually very friendly and there are many natives there (ironic,because the OP finds Greenfield 'depressing'). My neighbors are quick to clear each other's sidewalks when there is snow or to rake leaves from other yards. My mom fell out front when visiting and three neighbors came out to make sure she was okay.
I grew up in the south and people there are more friendly in ways like saying hello to everyone you pass on the sidewalk. However, my family complains that things have become less friendly in the past few decades since there has been so much migration from the northeast/midwest.
Okay, so would you say Southerners are more polite than Yinzers? And maybe, Pittsburghers are more helpful than Southerners? There is a distinction between polite and helpful. In some ways I'd prefer someone being helpful than polite. It is interesting how migration does play a role.Yeah, you got me, I'm no fan of Greenfield or Penn Hills for that matter. I know the latter is outside of the city limits.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Okay, I didn't think being a Yinzer was a racial category. I always thought there were black Yinzers too. In fact I find the fraternity between blacks and whites in Pittsburgh astonishing. Other cities like Boston and New York are far more segregated. This is a highly integrated city. This is the land of salt and pepper.
Yinzeridm is a distinct mashup of Appalachian, Eastern/central European and Italian cultures. Black natives don’t have the same accent or dialect. I’m not sure they eat all the same foods, And as a rule, they couldn’t care less about the Penguins.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Yinzers and their ancestors built this city and made it great, which is the reason why all these millennial hipsters want to move here. Yinzers are as friendly and welcoming as can be, have tight knit families and love their city. I'm proud to be one of them. With a big friggen long Polish last name to go with it.
No, Millennial hipsters move here for one main reason: affordable housing. Let's leave the ancestors out of it because they're in the grave. Poland is great again because the Democratic Party, er I mean the Communist Party is no longer in charge. They don't have Peduto running the show.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Yinzeridm is a distinct mashup of Appalachian, Eastern/central European and Italian cultures. Black natives don’t have the same accent or dialect. I’m not sure they eat all the same foods, And as a rule, they couldn’t care less about the Penguins.
I see plenty of good black folks wearing Stiller memorabilia, throwback Penguin gear, and eating Pierogies when offered. So I wouldn't exclude black people from the fold and the mold so fast.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
As explained above, "yinzer" is often used as a deragotary term that is used to describe the "backwards" natives that reside in the area. "New Pittsburgh" is comprised of more than just transplants. That being said, I am part of new pittsburgh but i'm not beyond telling someone off for generalizing a portion of people based on preconceived thoughts. If that makes me "unfriendly", I don't care. So maybe that is your answer. Some people don't feel the need to be fake to appease others. It is likely your actions are soliciting negative response from people, as noted by your mindset in this and other threads.
Spare me the ad hominems, those aren't necessary. Your behavior is far more egregious than any authentic or original Yinzer I've encountered. You don't need to get all aggressive to prove your affinity and loyalty to Pittsburgh. It isn't necessary my friend. Not at all. I've never heard of the term Yinzer being construed as derogatory. If I were born and raised here, I'd be proud to be called a Yinzer.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
I see plenty of good black folks wearing Stiller memorabilia, throwback Penguin gear, and eating Pierogies when offered. So I wouldn't exclude black people from the fold and the mold so fast.
It’s obvious that this is a troll post, but how many black people have you seen at a Penguins game?How many have you known to make shop chipped ham or strawberry pretzel Jell-O? How many have you heard say “yinz”, “dahntahn” or “needs done”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh