Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 13,752 times

Advertisements

What's your take on Pittsburgh?
I've been thinking about moving to PA. I've been to Philly, the Poconos, Allentown, and Doylestown a few times.. I've been to Scranton and Bethlehem a bunch of times.

I've been in North Jersey all my life and just spent a year in Austin Texas. I hated Jersey and Austin is too expensive and crowded(just like Jersey). Online reports about the cost of living here were probably outdated because it's nowhere near as low as I expected. Plus all the Californians moving in are snobby, annoying hipsters or anti-social dorks. Even in the forums they're douchey. I know some of the questions im about to ask have probably been answered before but I'm not on here every single day so help me out please.

Back to Pittsburgh
How's traffic? Is it as bad as North Jersey?. Philly? Nyc?

Are people friendly?
Is it one of those cities where people can't wait to move out?

How's the crime? Are there certain parts of the city that should be avoided?

Is it diverse? Are there lots of different races? Are there a lot of different Hispanics? In Jersey we have all kinds of Hispanics. In Texas it's predominantly Mexican. Are there certain parts of town that are mainly Hispanic? If so, Hispanics from which country? Just curious, I don't care for Hispanic communities even though I am Hispanic.

Are the winters the same as North NJ? Nyc? Worse? Better?

Does Pittsburgh flood? Is the area flat land or is it hilly like East Pennsylvania? Do tornados ever hit?

How's the cost of living? How much would a one bedroom apartment go for in a decent neighborhood?

I've seen some apartments online that have that Baltimore/Philly feel to it where they're all connected. Are houses reasonably priced in Pittsburgh? Do houses out there have land? Are nearby towns rural? Suburban?

Is it a fun town for a single male?

How are gun laws? I've seen people in rural parts of PA with big guns like it's nothing. I don't plan on doing that but I do like that you can carry in Texas. Not necessary but definitely enjoy having guns at home.

Answer what you can and please feel free to add in anything you feel I should know about the city. I will be doing my research on Pittsburgh too but I think hearing from people who actually live in Pittsburgh would be my best bet. I did some research on Austin before moving here and I had an opportunity to get out of NJ so I ran with it. Austin is beautiful and I really like Texas but I would rather live in towns outside of Austin. (Not country living but small city/big town like Bethlehem, Scranton, east Boston/revere).

Austin is similar to how I see NYC, Baltimore, Miami, Philly, LA.... Great to visit, wouldn't wanna live in any of those cities! I'd like a less congested city with a reasonable cost of living, somewhat of a community feel to the city but not necessary.
Oh and I did visit Austin and Houston before moving here. & they're great cities but not for me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
"Plus all the Californians moving in are snobby, annoying hipsters or anti-social dorks. Even in the forums they're douchey."

I moved to Pittsburgh five years ago. I'm very happy here. Oh yeah, I'm a native Californian.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:42 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh! I've lived here for 26 years, so I have a pretty good grasp on the area.

Traffic here is pretty horrible. Pittsburgh is a dense northeastern city with an antquited rpad and highway system. Compared to those cities it will be better, but not as much as you would think moving to a smaller city. Our public transit is pretty good, but again coming from NYC suburbs it will seem lacking. It blows Austin out of the water though.

Are people friendly?

People here are friendly, but extremely blunt. Alot if people here have absolutely no filter and people from eastern PA always tell me that. We're nicer, but very blunt and to the point about things.

Crime in Pittsburgh is not very bad at all. It's contained to a few neighborhoods you would never be in, trust me. They are very bad and due to our topography, very avoidable.

is it diverse? Are there lots of different races? Are there a lot of different Hispanics? In Jersey we have all kinds of Hispanics. In Texas it's predominantly Mexican. Are there certain parts of town that are mainly Hispanic? If so, Hispanics from which country? Just curious, I don't care for Hispanic communities even though I am Hispanic.

Pittsburgh is not the most diverse place, particularly in the surbubs and exurbs. The east end of the city is fairly diverse, but Pittsburgh has one of the lowest Hispanic populations of major cities in the country. We have an average Asian and black population though .

Worse. Colder. Snowier. And longer. We don't get the noreasters too often though. Alot more minor snows 1-6" though.

Does Pittsburgh flood? Is the area flat land or is it hilly like East Pennsylvania? Do tornados ever hit?

It does flood in the valleys. Our metro is probably the hilliest major city in the US. And tornados are quite rare.

How's the cost of living? How much would a one bedroom apartment go for in a decent neighborhood?

Pretty low but rising recently. And probably $800, I've always had roommates so I'm not sure.

i've seen some apartments online that have that Baltimore/Philly feel to it where they're all connected. Are houses reasonably priced in Pittsburgh? Do houses out there have land? Are nearby towns rural? Suburban?

The city is very urban but once you hit the suburbs it can feel rural pretty quick. Houses are cheap here, as long as you're not trying to buyin the top areas.

Quite fun Southside has more bars per capita than anywhere in the US

How are gun laws? I've seen people in rural parts of PA with big guns like it's nothing. I don't plan on doing that but I do like that you can carry in Texas. Not necessary but definitely enjoy having guns at home.

PA is gun friendly. You can carry here.

Hope this helps

Old 05-04-2018, 06:40 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Back to Pittsburgh
It's unpleasant. Due to the topography (hills and 3 rivers) traffic here is funneled onto bridges or through tunnels. Quite unpleasant. Public transit is decent if you live in the East End (most exensive, poshest part of the city) - served by the Busway. Or in the South Hills - there are trains ('the T') that run from downtown to the South Hills. Otherwise public transit isn't the best. Traffic can be miserable - again, due to the funnel effect and lack of alternate routes. Read about Green Tree Hill, the Parkway, and 28.

Are people friendly?

Friendlier than NJ, NYC, and Philly - for sure.
No, people can't wait to move out. People are convinced that Pgh is hands-down the absolutely greatest place on earth. Pgh has a very parochial culture. Very family oriented, lifelong networks. It has been complained about that it is hard to break in socially here.

It's fine. Random crime is rare - most of the violent crime is extremely targeted. If you're coming from an urban environment, you'll be fine here if you have any elementary street smarts. That said, there are places that you do NOT want to go - but they are very easily avoidable, and very noticeable.

Is it diverse? Are there lots of different races? Are there a lot of different Hispanics? In Jersey we have all kinds of Hispanics. In Texas it's predominantly Mexican. Are there certain parts of town that are mainly Hispanic? If so, Hispanics from which country? Just curious, I don't care for Hispanic communities even though I am Hispanic.

Lots of European diversity - lots of pride in ancestry and ethnic clubs and churches. German clubs, huge St Patricks Day parade, Eastern European ethnic clubs and churches.
Not many Hispanics. Can't speak to where they're mainly from - I would venture majority would be Mexican. The center of the Hispanic community would likely be Brookline and Beechview.

Winters here are schizophrenic and hit or miss. Sometimes they can be very mild. Other times they are miserable. This one never saw any massive amounts of snow, but felt very long. The winters are VERY rough on the streets, with the constant freeze-thaw cycle. Thus, it now feels like we're driving in Damascus or Aleppo.

Yes. Read about Washington Boulevard flood. Millvale flood. This is a serious problem, again due to the topography (we're a city build amongst never-ending hills and valleys - with three rivers)... flooding is a problem to be aware of.

Tornadoes can hit some outlying suburbs - but they're extremely rare acts of God...

Decent, but gentrifying more and more everyday. We are in the running for Amazon's new headquarters - in which case you can expect gentrification to drive prices through the roof. That is not a popular opinion on this forum, and some folks will likely attack me for it. But it is something to be aware of.
I would guesstimate an ok 1 br in an ok neighborhood would be $800ish.

The local culture revolves around sports and drinking.
Carson Street and Butler St (in Lawrenceville) are two popular nightlife streets.
North Shore is slowly transitioning into another such destination.
There is also a very blossoming local brewery scene - everywhere in the region (suburbs and within city limits). There is something here for your interests, regardless of what they are.

If you carry a long-gun within the City, I'd imagine a scene. In the suburbs, it wouldn't be a big deal.
The City tries to pass more restrictive gun laws, but it is just political theater - they are pre-empted by PA State law. Regarding concealed-carry, PA is a "shall issue" state. Here is info on applying for a concealed carry permit: ACSO :: Firearms

Old 05-04-2018, 06:53 AM

12 posts, read 8,514 times
You'll find that a lot of Pittsburghers love our town. I'm a transplant but really wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this point in my life.

It looks like a few others have given you some pretty nice answers on a few things so I'll just chime in with my 2c where appropriate.

Traffic - Pittsburgh isn't the easiest of cities to navigate at first (but you will learn your way around). Traffic can sometimes be rough at rush hour but otherwise it is way better than the cities you mentioned.

Friendliness & Crime - I think you'll find Pittsburgh to be a welcoming city. We have a lot of old timers and families who have been around for generations but they are pretty open to welcoming some new folks too. Crime isn't much of an issue (outside of a handful of neighborhoods) in comp to other major cities.

Diversity - Not a ton of diversity as it compares to other major metros.

Affordability - Pittsburgh is consistently considered one of the more affordable places to call home. Both renting and buying are manageable for many.

I know everyone has different tastes but I'm a big fan of Pittsburgh. It's solid and trending in a good direction. If you can, come for a visit and try to get a feel.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
It depends: Where do you want to live--city or suburbs? Where will you work? What kind of things do you like to do?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherEastCoaster View Post
I've been thinking about moving to PA. I've been to Philly, the Poconos, Allentown, and Doylestown a few times.. I've been to Scranton and Bethlehem a bunch of times.

I've been in North Jersey all my life and just spent a year in Austin Texas. I hated Jersey and Austin is too expensive and crowded(just like Jersey). Online reports about the cost of living here were probably outdated because it's nowhere near as low as I expected. Plus all the Californians moving in are snobby, annoying hipsters or anti-social dorks. Even in the forums they're douchey. I know some of the questions im about to ask have probably been answered before but I'm not on here every single day so help me out please.
I'm also from the east coast originally. Born outside Philly, moved with my family to Connecticut near NYC when I was three. Went to college in Massachusetts, and spent time living there, back in CT, and DC before moving out here. Moved here for a job 13 years back, bought a house, got married, had kids, etc.

Quote:
I don't drive too much honestly. I've always lived in the city, and either take transit or bike to work. There are some local snarls, but traffic is nowhere near as bad. Drivers aren't aggressive in Pittsburgh either. Sometimes they're so timid they cause accidents actually, like people who stop short at an onramp because they're scared they aren't going to make it.

Quote:
Are people friendly?
Friendlier than metro New York, certainly. Not like the South or Midwest, but it was notably easier for me to make friends (and date) here than when I lived on the East Coast.

Quote:
That depends upon who you ask. Most transplants seem to like it - particularly if they move to the city. The people who don't like it and move tend to be those who grew up here (and by "here" I generally mean the suburbs/exurbs) and those who make the mistake of moving as a young single person to some random boring suburb.

Quote:
Crime isn't too bad honestly compared to what I was used to. There's only one part of the city I'd be scared to walk through at night (Homewood). There's still a notable gang issue in many pockets, but it's mostly 16-24 year old guys getting into fights and shooting each other - they don't tend to bother bystanders all that much. In the time I've lived here, the worst thing that happened to me was getting a generator I left unlocked stolen from my backyard when I lived in Lawrenceville. I got a bike stolen downtown once as well. But that's about it.

Quote:
Pittsburgh has very few Latinos overall - probably one of the smallest Latino communities out of major U.S. cities. Demographically Asians are a much larger "new immigrant" group in the city (although many of them are college/grad students only here for a short while. Spanish is only the third most common ESL language in the public school system, for example, with Nepalese and Somali Bantu more prevalent.

That said, I've met many individual Latinos in my time here, so it's not like they're invisible (One of my wife's best friends is Mexican, for example). It's just there's not really a Latino "hood." Up until recently, our Latino community tended to skew more middle class, because a disproportionate number were Pitt/CMU students from outside the area who put down roots. There is a Mexican presence in the neighborhood of Beechview - there's even a Mexican grocery down there - but I don't think they exceed 10% of the neighborhood population.

Quote:
In terms of winter temps, a bit worse. Pittsburgh's overall climate is most similar to Boston actually out of the major Northeastern cities. That said, the big difference is we don't get Noreasters, thus instead of getting a few terrible winter storms per year we get tons of piddly little 1-3 inch snow accumulations which melt very quickly. In the time I've lived here (13 years) we had only one accumulation of over a foot, and maybe four with over six inches. The worst part of the winter is it's perpetually overcast, unless there's a cold snap.

Quote:
Portions of Pittsburgh flood, portions do not. There's rugged topography here. Most of the East End is on a plateau and relatively flat. There's also flat land down by the rivers in areas like the North Side, South Side, Downtown, Lawrenceville, etc. There's also lots of ridiculously hilly neighborhoods. A friend of mine once jokingly asked if Pittsburgh was settled by the Inca, to give you a mental picture. The worst areas for flooding are the long narrow valleys which have creeks (most of which have been routed underground). These don't tend to be heavily settled, though there are exceptions like Millvale.

Quote:
The COL has gone up a lot since I moved here. I bought my first house, which was in a decent non-ghetto area which has since gentrified like crazy, for only $53,000 to give you an idea what it was like in 2007. That said, it's still going to be way, way cheaper than what you're used to, so long as you don't expect to move into a top-of-the-line new construction apartment building.

Quote:
I've seen some apartments online that have that Baltimore/Philly feel to it where they're all connected. Are houses reasonably priced in Pittsburgh? Do houses out there have land? Are nearby towns rural? Suburban?
All of the above really. Pittsburgh has everything from dense Philly-style rowhouses to suburbia and rural backwoodsy areas - even within city limits.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Just live in the city (or somewhere very close and walkable) rather than in some random apartment complex in Moon Township or something.

Quote:
PA's a big gun culture state, albeit less so in the cities. A lot of employers in more rural areas traditionally shut down for a week at the beginning of hunting season.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:15 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Weather sucks, cheap beer available, reasonable housing.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Pittsburgh is one of the most unique cities. Hills, neighborhoods, nooks, hills, views, cool people, cheap housing. Move here fast.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:22 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:

Back to Pittsburgh

Are people friendly?

Answer what you can and please feel free to add in anything you feel I should know about the city. I will be doing my research on Pittsburgh too but I think hearing from people who actually live in Pittsburgh would be my best bet. I did some research on Austin before moving here and I had an opportunity to get out of NJ so I ran with it. Austin is beautiful and I really like Texas but I would rather live in towns outside of Austin. (Not country living but small city/big town like Bethlehem, Scranton, east Boston/revere).

Austin is similar to how I see NYC, Baltimore, Miami, Philly, LA.... Great to visit, wouldn't wanna live in any of those cities! I'd like a less congested city with a reasonable cost of living, somewhat of a community feel to the city but not necessary.
Oh and I did visit Austin and Houston before moving here. & they're great cities but not for me.
Thanks!
I do have Austin to Pittsburgh experience for you- I lived in Austin for 13 years before moving here. Austin was getting too expensive, traffic-y, and just overall crowded when I left 5 years ago, and it seems to be getting worse. I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

I loved Austin when I got there in the 90s..... I lived out in the boonies...... in round rock. Flash forward ten years and there were traffic jams getting out of my neighborhood. What a crowded mess.

Cost of living is better here than Austin, especially if you buy a house. The traffic here is bad on the Parkway into Pittsburgh in the mornings and afternoons, but that's about it. People are mostly friendly but you still get some of the same cliques and politics that you see there. In Austin, everyone is from all over. In Pittsburgh, everyone is from here. You do get a good community feel though.

The weather here will take some getting used too. Much cloudier, winter, more rain, etc.

What I like here is the diversity in things to do- from the microbrews to the sports to the mountinas and rivers and history..... all within an hours drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh