Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,036,400 times

Advertisements

Why is there so much hate towards Uber? I don't get it! I know several people that drive for them and they love it. They love the flexibility of their schedule, they love the money which some are making very good money (a grand a week!) and they are providing a very valuable service that was in need in our area. Has anyone ever tried to call a cab in Pittsburgh prior to Uber/Lyft entering the market? It sucked!

So there was ONE car wreck in our country involving a driverless car with a driver in place and BOOM everyone is now against Uber? I don't get it!

I see a TON of people using this service. Plenty are drunk that are getting home safe. I am very glad Lyft and Uber are in town and hope they continue to keep going with their driverless cars here. It IS the future. The amount of car crashes is increasing across the US due to selfish people texting while driving. While riding my bike it is like 50% or even more are texting/surfing web on their smartphone while driving in our city. I can always spot them because they drive horribly, but the percentage is increasing each year. Our law enforcement doesn't care about this dangerous mess. The answer? Self driving cars. It is going to happen in our city or another one. ONE car wreck and people are going nuts. Look at the real statistics on how many car crashes there actually are and how many deaths. Shocking!

Go Uber and Lyft! Hope you are on the forefront here in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,107,723 times
autonomous zombie car apocalypse and nobody but Peduto can stop it....

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
autonomous zombie car apocalypse and nobody but Peduto can stop it....
If Peduto is smart he won't stop it. The focus should be more on texting/surfing smartphones and driving, not Uber's self driving cars. We need to be on the forefront of this valuable technology.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,719,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Honestly, this concerns me far more when I think of Amazon. If the relationship with Uber has gone this far south, this quickly, and if the relationship obviously can't be managed - how does Grant Street think they're going to fare with Amazon?? Particularly when Amazon would be infinitely larger and more powerful than Uber??

Let this be a warning sign.

I don't think you have to worry about Amazon. IMHO they are not selecting Pittsburgh.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 332,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why is there so much hate towards Uber? I don't get it! I know several people that drive for them and they love it. They love the flexibility of their schedule, they love the money which some are making very good money (a grand a week!) and they are providing a very valuable service that was in need in our area. Has anyone ever tried to call a cab in Pittsburgh prior to Uber/Lyft entering the market? It sucked!

So there was ONE car wreck in our country involving a driverless car with a driver in place and BOOM everyone is now against Uber? I don't get it!

I see a TON of people using this service. Plenty are drunk that are getting home safe. I am very glad Lyft and Uber are in town and hope they continue to keep going with their driverless cars here. It IS the future. The amount of car crashes is increasing across the US due to selfish people texting while driving. While riding my bike it is like 50% or even more are texting/surfing web on their smartphone while driving in our city. I can always spot them because they drive horribly, but the percentage is increasing each year. Our law enforcement doesn't care about this dangerous mess. The answer? Self driving cars. It is going to happen in our city or another one. ONE car wreck and people are going nuts. Look at the real statistics on how many car crashes there actually are and how many deaths. Shocking!

Go Uber and Lyft! Hope you are on the forefront here in Pittsburgh.
Uber the ride sharing service is useful. Uber the autonomous driving company needs work. The fatality involved a self-driving car plowing over a pedestrian at 40mph. Seems reasonable for the mayor of Pittsburgh to not want his taxpaying constituents to meet the same fate.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
Uber the ride sharing service is useful. Uber the autonomous driving company needs work. The fatality involved a self-driving car plowing over a pedestrian at 40mph. Seems reasonable for the mayor of Pittsburgh to not want his taxpaying constituents to meet the same fate.
A pedestrian that was jaywalking in the dark, mind you. Yes, that autonomous vehicle should have stopped. What if instead of an autonomous vehicle it was a regular passenger vehicle being driven by someone texting, though? That jaywalker would still be deceased. I have to admit after seeing the video even with my relatively quick reflexes if I was cruising along at 40 miles per hour and slammed on the brakes it might still be a close call.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,984,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A pedestrian that was jaywalking in the dark, mind you. Yes, that autonomous vehicle should have stopped. What if instead of an autonomous vehicle it was a regular passenger vehicle being driven by someone texting, though? That jaywalker would still be deceased. I have to admit after seeing the video even with my relatively quick reflexes if I was cruising along at 40 miles per hour and slammed on the brakes it might still be a close call.
To be fair, the vehicle sensed the woman, and made no attempt to break. I am very pro-autonomous vehicle, but Uber, specifically, has the worst fleet on the road. I've noticed more of Argo's autonomous vehicles on the streets, and I'd like to see them expand their presence. Uber has a lot of work to do, before I'd like to see them back on Pittsburgh's roads in great numbers.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post
The wreck involved a Uber car with a driver in place driving 5mph UNDER the speed limit on a dark street with some crazy person pushing a bicycle right in front of an oncoming car. If there was a driver it wouldn't make anything but local news, but it was an Uber car, so it did. Why would someone walk out in front of a car in the middle of the night is beyond me, but of course it is sad. This story is just fuel for the anti Uber people, nothing more.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:59 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,319,542 times
I'm fine with how this is going. Maybe Peduto has no control over Uber or is pretending he doesn't and pretending he's upset about it. I'm glad there here regardless.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:51 AM

90 posts, read 85,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The wreck involved a Uber car with a driver in place driving 5mph UNDER the speed limit on a dark street with some crazy person pushing a bicycle right in front of an oncoming car. If there was a driver it wouldn't make anything but local news, but it was an Uber car, so it did. Why would someone walk out in front of a car in the middle of the night is beyond me, but of course it is sad. This story is just fuel for the anti Uber people, nothing more.
The reason it is a big deal is because of things like this:
"The automated emergency braking system on an Uber robot test car was turned off when the vehicle hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona in March, according to federal investigators."

source: Uber chose to disable emergency braking system before fatal Arizona robot car crash, safety officials say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh