Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 08:22 PM

94 posts, read 78,955 times

Advertisements

The passing of former Pirate's pitcher Bruce Kison may not mean much to many of you and I respect that. When I heard that he passed away this morning, I shed a tear. When he made his World Series debut in 1971 as a rookie, I was a seven year old in the first grade. They played weekday games in the World Series in those days. My mom would have the games on when I got home from school. This is when I first got into baseball as my mom and older brother seemed to be so excited. I remember my mom mentioning how Bruce had to get married the evening after game 7. This is some of my earliest memories of baseball. Bruce's in laws lived near me. He married aPittsburgh girl who was the oldest of four. I played football with her brother. Our family knew her family. I would see him at our church with his wife and her family sometimes all the while pitching for the Pirates and then elsewhere. It just brought back memories of family and friends and my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
Kison got married right after Game 7 of the 1971 World Series. A helicopter picked him up at the ballpark, and took him away to wherever the ceremony was held. He actually saved the Bucs bacon in Game 4, after Luke Walker got lit up in the first inning for 3 runs. Kison pitched scoreless ball until the Pirated came back and took the lead on a Milt May single. Kison plunked 3 Orioles during the game. He was 21 years old. I was a 12 year old Pirates fanatic during this period. The Steelers still stunk, the Pens were mediocre, the Condors horrible, and Pitt was pathetic in both football, and hoops, although Duquesne hadn't fallen off the cliff yet, and was still a basketball powerhouse during this era. Kison was one of I think, three Bucs who played on both the 71, and 79 Champs. Kison, Sangy, and of course, Stargell.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Damn cancer. He was only 68. I remember him, but was pretty young.

I wouldn't say Pitt was horrible at hoops in the late 70's. We all got to go down and see Sam "BAM" Clancy play ball. Now that was fun! Sam is currently in Pittsburgh working at Pitt.

Anyway, Bruce was here for some great years. 6 pennants in the 70's.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,703,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Kison got married right after Game 7 of the 1971 World Series. A helicopter picked him up at the ballpark, and took him away to wherever the ceremony was held. He actually saved the Bucs bacon in Game 4, after Luke Walker got lit up in the first inning for 3 runs. Kison pitched scoreless ball until the Pirated came back and took the lead on a Milt May single. Kison plunked 3 Orioles during the game. He was 21 years old. I was a 12 year old Pirates fanatic during this period. The Steelers still stunk, the Pens were mediocre, the Condors horrible, and Pitt was pathetic in both football, and hoops, although Duquesne hadn't fallen off the cliff yet, and was still a basketball powerhouse during this era. Kison was one of I think, three Bucs who played on both the 71, and 79 Champs. Kison, Sangy, and of course, Stargell.
Bucs on the 1960 and 1971 team? Bobby C., Maz ...?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post

Thought I remembered that, was about to google it. He was a rookie that year and pitched in the World Series, pretty gutsy kid. RIP

Good point about the other sports teams, although I went to just about all the Condors games. I was a big ABA fan.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Damn cancer. He was only 68. I remember him, but was pretty young.

I wouldn't say Pitt was horrible at hoops in the late 70's. We all got to go down and see Sam "BAM" Clancy play ball. Now that was fun! Sam is currently in Pittsburgh working at Pitt.

Anyway, Bruce was here for some great years. 6 pennants in the 70's.
1971 wasn't the late 70s. If I had been talking about the late 70s, I would never have said the Steelers stunk, or that Duquesne was a powerhouse. In 1971, the Bucs, and the Dukes were the only good teams in town. As a 12 year old, these guys were my heroes. By 79, while I was still a big fan, I was an adult, and didn't hold athletes up as heroes anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh