Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

What are those buildings? There sure are a lot of them. Hoping they are not all low income. If they are, wow that will be a lot in such a small area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Do you mean the market rate luxury apartments at Walnut and Highland? Zekes is on Penn very near to East Liberty Presbyterian. Or are you talking about the Zekes drive thru on Broad St?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Do you mean the market rate luxury apartments at Walnut and Highland? Zekes is on Penn very near to East Liberty Presbyterian. Or are you talking about the Zekes drive thru on Broad St?
Sorry, Zeke's drive through. There are a TON of green buildings that are now being bricked. What are they? Please not section 8! Please be something that will help the area!

Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sorry, Zeke's drive through. There are a TON of green buildings that are now being bricked. What are they? Please not section 8! Please be something that will help the area!
Privately-managed mixed income, similar to the apartments on the opposite side of Larimer.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Privately-managed mixed income, similar to the apartments on the opposite side of Larimer.
That really is a lot of units. The density in East Liberty is going to really be mind blowing when all these places are occupied. Guess it will be more of a lower income area as a whole and nothing like its old grand self. Sure was an amazing place many years ago, but I guess it is better than more recent years when those high-rise section 8's were running strong. Sure was a crime ridden area. Still a lot of crime, but better I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how many units in total over there? Shame Whole Foods was protested to death and didn't expand. I suspect the area will need jobs to support all these new units.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
These buildings are replacing a similarly dense affordable housing cluster on the same site. Once East Liberty Park or whatever it's going to be called is developed across Larimer Ave that area is going to be very nice. The rest of the block is also getting attention from the URA. The decaying church and school have had "open houses" and ELDI is making efforts to help the homeowners of Enright Court (on Broad across from the post office).

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
These buildings are replacing a similarly dense affordable housing cluster on the same site. Once East Liberty Park or whatever it's going to be called is developed across Larimer Ave that area is going to be very nice. The rest of the block is also getting attention from the URA. The decaying church and school have had "open houses" and ELDI is making efforts to help the homeowners of Enright Court (on Broad across from the post office).
That poor church with those steeples falling apart. Sure was a grand old church at one time, but it is what it is. I suspect it will come down at some point. I think there was another church on Meadow that could have been saved, but I haven't driven around there in years, so maybe it isn't even there anymore.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That really is a lot of units. The density in East Liberty is going to really be mind blowing when all these places are occupied. Guess it will be more of a lower income area as a whole and nothing like its old grand self. Sure was an amazing place many years ago, but I guess it is better than more recent years when those high-rise section 8's were running strong. Sure was a crime ridden area. Still a lot of crime, but better I guess.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how many units in total over there? Shame Whole Foods was protested to death and didn't expand. I suspect the area will need jobs to support all these new units.

150 units in total.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Probably not the best place to put this, but I can't find the right old thread to bump, and it's East Liberty related.

A judge has ruled that the arbitrary height limit that the city put on LG realty's planned office development on the site of Penn Plaza (dropping the height from 150 to 108 feet) should not stand. Absent an appeal, this likely means construction will start there relatively soon.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Probably not the best place to put this, but I can't find the right old thread to bump, and it's East Liberty related.

A judge has ruled that the arbitrary height limit that the city put on LG realty's planned office development on the site of Penn Plaza (dropping the height from 150 to 108 feet) should not stand. Absent an appeal, this likely means construction will start there relatively soon.

The NIMBY comments at the end of the article are so predictable, calling the developr greedy and saying its out of character for the neighborhood and would be the tallest building around. I'm pretty sure the large church and building next to it are taller anyway, but East Lib used to have a bunch of high rise projects 20 -30 stories, it wasn't all that long ago that they were razed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: