Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 11:45 AM

432 posts, read 359,948 times

Advertisements

I see that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette finally announced which days they'd no longer print papers: Tuesday and Saturday. (Interestingly, I participated in a consumer forum for them a couple of years ago, and they asked if we'd miss our Saturday wood-pulp.)

I think that the gradual loss of physical papers is sad and will lead inexorably to cuts in local reporting. The Trib went online exclusively, and the PPG recently turned the fourth page of Sunday funnies into a weekly full-page ad for their news app. One short-term impetus is the current high cost of Canadian wood pulp, but that could change. (Hemp pulp, maybe?)

Any thoughts on the future of local news? Also, has the PPG subscription department offered any compensation to current subscribers for the loss of almost 30% of your weekly papers, e.g. extensions of your subscriptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:39 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Eventually, all newspaper print editions will cease to exist. It's a major expense and newspaper advertising is way down. Of course, you'll have to subscribe in order to receive the electronic edition.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:26 AM

432 posts, read 359,948 times
Could some current subscriber please say if the PPG has offered any compensation for decreasing your delivered newspapers per week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Eventually, all newspaper print editions will cease to exist. It's a major expense and newspaper advertising is way down.
It will be interesting to see whether "eventually" is two years from now or twenty. I recall predictions about a decade ago of the immanent demise of paper books, but they are still being sold and read, while I see fewer Kindles than I used to.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:36 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Could some current subscriber please say if the PPG has offered any compensation for decreasing your delivered newspapers per week?

It will be interesting to see whether "eventually" is two years from now or twenty. I recall predictions about a decade ago of the immanent demise of paper books, but they are still being sold and read, while I see fewer Kindles than I used to.

I don't know about newspapers, but I think there are going to be a lot of people who prefer real books for a long time. Many people already work at jobs where they have to stare at screens all day, and TV. Too much screen time is not very good for your eyes either, and a lot of people just like the feel of a printed book, as well as the fact that you don't have to recharge it and worry about damaging it.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
I don't read books much but when I want to read one I will not read it on a screen. Also if it were a textbook to learn I like a printed copy to highlight/note. Outside of that I always read my other stuff online, cant even remember the last time I looked at a newspaper. Especially with the spin everyone has on news I like to read a few points on most things. As for the screen, I always hear that. Not sure if there is proof to back that up (not saying there isnt). I work remote so in front of a screen all day then once I am done work I either stream or am on my computer for myself. I'd guess I am looking at a screen 12hrs a day average and have been forever. Still no glasses at 45, most in my family who dont work in front of a computer have had glasses since younger. Maybe I'd have better vision but no issues so far.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
THere's been recent research that students, even those who have grown up in the digital age, prefer to read their educational texts on paper and even retain more information that way.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
I have three online newspaper subscriptions, read a couple other papers online, and usually buy a print copy everyday. There are things you miss when you read an online newspaper unless you are specifically looking for them.

I read a lot of books and I've gone almost 100% to a Kindle. It is actually much easier on my eyes now that I have started to need reading glasses. I can adjust the font size, background brightness, etc. to allow me to read without reading glasses. I don't have to find a good light source since I can sit on my deck at night and read in the dark, or read it on the beach while on vacation. It is great for traveling because I can take over a hundred books with me that I have downloaded to the the Kindle.

People mention about highlighting or underlining textbooks but I never did that because I would always resell them and it subtracted from their value. Some people also complain about looking at a screen all day and not wanting to look at one when they come home, etc., but I think many people spend so much time playing computer games that looking at computer screens all day is a non-issue.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have three online newspaper subscriptions, read a couple other papers online, and usually buy a print copy everyday. There are things you miss when you read an online newspaper unless you are specifically looking for them.

I read a lot of books and I've gone almost 100% to a Kindle. It is actually much easier on my eyes now that I have started to need reading glasses. I can adjust the font size, background brightness, etc. to allow me to read without reading glasses. I don't have to find a good light source since I can sit on my deck at night and read in the dark, or read it on the beach while on vacation. It is great for traveling because I can take over a hundred books with me that I have downloaded to the the Kindle.

People mention about highlighting or underlining textbooks but I never did that because I would always resell them and it subtracted from their value. Some people also complain about looking at a screen all day and not wanting to look at one when they come home, etc., but I think many people spend so much time playing computer games that looking at computer screens all day is a non-issue.

there have been a lot of studies finding that the blue light really degrades sleep, mostly if its within a few hours of going to bed. but a lot of people notice individually extra strain on the eyes with a lot of screen time. I really think the video games are not much relevant. they're played mostly by kids who haven't had the years to develop the problems.yeah I played some Atari myself growing up, but it was mostly a black background not much extra light. it also gets tiresome reading everyting from the same screen, variety is much better. or should I use the buzzword diversity of medium.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
there have been a lot of studies finding that the blue light really degrades sleep, mostly if its within a few hours of going to bed. but a lot of people notice individually extra strain on the eyes with a lot of screen time. I really think the video games are not much relevant. they're played mostly by kids who haven't had the years to develop the problems.yeah I played some Atari myself growing up, but it was mostly a black background not much extra light. it also gets tiresome reading everyting from the same screen, variety is much better. or should I use the buzzword diversity of medium.
That's why I still buy a print copy of a newspaper. The price of the Post-Gazette has gotten to be ridiculous for the amount of content, however.

BTW, I don't buy the blue light degrading sleep. I sleep better if I go to bed early and read until I'm tired as opposed to staying up watching TV.

The Atari comment shows your age. There are many people, mainly guys, who are a few years younger than you, and addicted to online games.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
That's why I still buy a print copy of a newspaper. The price of the Post-Gazette has gotten to be ridiculous for the amount of content, however.

BTW, I don't buy the blue light degrading sleep. I sleep better if I go to bed early and read until I'm tired as opposed to staying up watching TV.

The Atari comment shows your age. There are many people, mainly guys, who are a few years younger than you, and addicted to online games.

Yeah, the Atari comment was meant to show my age, lol Are you being ageist? The whole point was that the ones who play the games are too young to show damage, but could occur later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh