Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 921 times

Advertisements

When visiting Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh this summer, I saw something that was kind of unsettling. There was a man in the corner of the line snapping photos of kids riding the Jack Rabbit. He was zooming in on them before they went down the first hill. Then we got in line for The Kangaroo and a woman was taking photos of the kids on that ride. That didn't sit well with me. At first I thought maybe they were doing some kind of photography project. But there are so many weird people out there. If that were my child getting photos taken by strangers, I would be a bit uncomfortable. Especially with the rise of human trafficking, I feel children should be protected. Does anyone else find this odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Most people nowadays will find it odd though street/candid photography used to be more common and used to be an appreciated form of art. (I’m not implying that I know he was doing that - the possibilities are infinite.) Now it is more controversial. Generally, you have the legal right to take any pictures you want to in public.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:55 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
What's odd is watching a situation involving children in which you fear for their safety, then waiting 6-7 months to post it on an online forum to see if your hunch is correct. Did you bring this to anyone's attention at the time?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
What's odd is watching a situation involving children in which you fear for their safety, then waiting 6-7 months to post it on an online forum to see if your hunch is correct. Did you bring this to anyone's attention at the time?
The fact that it was two people makes me think either they're photographers doing what they consider art work or they might work for the park and are doing promotional work. Of course, it could be something malicious but people take Law and Order SVU a bit too seriously sometimes!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PghYinzer again.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM

436 posts, read 343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer25 View Post
When visiting Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh this summer, I saw something that was kind of unsettling. There was a man in the corner of the line snapping photos of kids riding the Jack Rabbit. He was zooming in on them before they went down the first hill. Then we got in line for The Kangaroo and a woman was taking photos of the kids on that ride. That didn't sit well with me. At first I thought maybe they were doing some kind of photography project. But there are so many weird people out there. If that were my child getting photos taken by strangers, I would be a bit uncomfortable. Especially with the rise of human trafficking, I feel children should be protected. Does anyone else find this odd?
You never know; did you report it to someone? I would have, and have done so in the past. We had our child down at the Regatta a few years ago and someone asked if he could take a picture of our child, I asked for their credentials and they said they didn't have any, I told them to get lost and was ready to move that person along if they didn't take the hint.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I remember someone posting a picture of someone riding through the Squirrel Hill Tunnel on a motorcycle, this past summer. They posted it on WPXI's Facebook page. I responded and asked what they were trying to accomplish by posting that. They responded and said they hoped others had saw this rider, because they were riding recklessly in their opinion. I asked if they contacted law enforcement, and there was no further reply

Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
You never know; did you report it to someone? I would have, and have done so in the past. We had our child down at the Regatta a few years ago and someone asked if he could take a picture of our child, I asked for their credentials and they said they didn't have any, I told them to get lost and was ready to move that person along if they didn't take the hint.
You don’t need any credentials to take a picture! You do have the right to say no if asked but he didn’t have to ask. And legally, he could have taken the picture even after you said no, though it would have been rude. He was going out of his way to be more respectful of your privacy than the law requires him to.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
You don’t need any credentials to take a picture! You do have the right to say no if asked but he didn’t have to ask. And legally, he could have taken the picture even after you said no, though it would have been rude. He was going out of his way to be more respectful of your privacy than the law requires him to.
Any parent in their right mind isn't going to let any ole person take a picture of their child these days.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Any parent in their right mind isn't going to let any ole person take a picture of their child these days.
Legally, you can’t stop them. By asking, the photographer was extending a courtesy he didn’t have to. The OP’s comfort was more important to him than his legal right to take pictures. The only way to ensure your child’s picture is never taken by a stranger is to never let your child be near a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh