Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Towards the airport in Moon and Robinson for starters. Those warehouses, retail, small manufacturers and the corps out there off Campbells Run yet bus service there is abysmal. The 28x skips that area so what else you got? The 29 I guess?
The problem with servicing those areas is the ridership levels would be so low that the Port Authority would lose additional money by adding more dedicated lines. And where would the lines come from? Undoubtedly the people who work in that area travel from all over the place after all.

I do think that as the city's satellite business districts - like South Side Works, Bakery Square, and especially the Strip District - get more built up the Port Authority is going to have to find a way to have direct transit routes from more areas. Maybe the Downtown to Oakland BRT could eventually be expanded into a full on loop system which cycles between each of the major nodes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The problem with servicing those areas is the ridership levels would be so low that the Port Authority would lose additional money by adding more dedicated lines. And where would the lines come from? Undoubtedly the people who work in that area travel from all over the place after all.

I do think that as the city's satellite business districts - like South Side Works, Bakery Square, and especially the Strip District - get more built up the Port Authority is going to have to find a way to have direct transit routes from more areas. Maybe the Downtown to Oakland BRT could eventually be expanded into a full on loop system which cycles between each of the major nodes?
are the strip district tenants demanding bus service? i wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons they chose the strip is lack of full bus service.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
are the strip district tenants demanding bus service? i wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons they chose the strip is lack of full bus service.
Huh? I'm not even sure what this means. Why would bus service be a detriment to businesses? Too many of the riffraff getting off the bus and wandering around stinking up the joint?

The Strip is actually pretty easy to get to via bus from most part of the Upper East End (Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Garfield, Friendship, East Liberty, etc) which is where the yuppie set is mostly settling anyway these days. And of course a lot of people are renting in the Strip and walking to work. Or use the bike lanes.

My understanding is the Strip is popular with Tech, while downtown is not, because the more spread-out aspect of it means you can have offices with an R&D/engineering development complete with loading docks, whereas downtown you'll just be limited to straight-up office space.

Anyway, part of the reason residential real estate is rapidly escalating in the East End, but it's a more flat market elsewhere is because the East End is convenient to all these secondary nodes (including Oakland) whereas the rest of the city (barring those places the 54 touches) really isn't that convenient unless you work Downtown.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Huh? I'm not even sure what this means. Why would bus service be a detriment to businesses? Too many of the riffraff getting off the bus and wandering around stinking up the joint?

The Strip is actually pretty easy to get to via bus from most part of the Upper East End (Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Garfield, Friendship, East Liberty, etc) which is where the yuppie set is mostly settling anyway these days. And of course a lot of people are renting in the Strip and walking to work. Or use the bike lanes.

My understanding is the Strip is popular with Tech, while downtown is not, because the more spread-out aspect of it means you can have offices with an R&D/engineering development complete with loading docks, whereas downtown you'll just be limited to straight-up office space.

Anyway, part of the reason residential real estate is rapidly escalating in the East End, but it's a more flat market elsewhere is because the East End is convenient to all these secondary nodes (including Oakland) whereas the rest of the city (barring those places the 54 touches) really isn't that convenient unless you work Downtown.
haha more of a cynical idea but law firms, etc. tend to have that idea. the big wigs get their parking lots. the tech aspect makes sense though.

i would guess the universities and bakery square are driving more of the east end growth but that probably plays a factor as well.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
haha more of a cynical idea but law firms, etc. tend to have that idea. the big wigs get their parking lots. the tech aspect makes sense though.

i would guess the universities and bakery square are driving more of the east end growth but that probably plays a factor as well.
All of the East End office growth is tech. Law firms and banks are sticking to downtown.

Universities play a big role of course, but remember that a fair amount of the office space is either being occupied by the universities and hospitals or by firms working closely with them. And Bakery Square is of course (mostly) a big effin office park.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
And Bakery Square is of course (mostly) a big effin office park.
One with apartments, retail, and historic buildings in an urban setting. Which actually sounds nothing like an "office park".

Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
One with apartments, retail, and historic buildings in an urban setting. Which actually sounds nothing like an "office park".
My point was I said the office construction being focused on the East End is part of why the residential RE market is going nuts. Then he said "I think it's more due to___Bakery Square" which is, you know, a major office node in the East End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh