Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times

Advertisements

This came out a yesterday, but I didn't see it mentioned:

1. Overall trips in 2018 were 64.2 million - a 1.2 million increase from 2017 (up 1.95%). This is the first increase in ridership for two years, the highest overall since at least 2013, and contrasts with a nationwide decline of 1.75% over roughly the same period.

2. The percentage increase would likely have been even higher if it wasn't for the T, which was negatively impacted by the flooding which affected the Blue Line and the freight train derailment in August.

3. Overall growth in bus ridership was the fourth-highest of any city in the country (only Houston, Columbus, and Oakland were higher).

4. It's clear the Port Authority isn't sure why ridership increased substantially yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 03:27 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Sounds like good news when other cities are declining. Also, Columbus' bus system is just a fraction of the size of Pittsburgh's, so it's really just Houston and Oakland that had similar ridership increase to Pgh's, in raw numbers instead of percent increase.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
That's great news. More taking transit is a win-win for everyone.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
That's what happens when you drop fares by eliminating zones. Now if only bus service to the employment centers outside of downtown was improved upon.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM

969 posts, read 772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
That's what happens when you drop fares by eliminating zones. Now if only bus service to the employment centers outside of downtown was improved upon.
Which employment centers outside of downtown? Oakland?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I mean Oakland is a major employment center, and besides the 54 there aren't many routes that connect non-East End neighborhoods to it. Places like Brookline, Beechview, Brighton Heights, etc. would probably become much more desirable if it was possible for Oakland workers to live in those areas and only take ONE bus instead of needing to transfer from Downtown first.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:08 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean Oakland is a major employment center, and besides the 54 there aren't many routes that connect non-East End neighborhoods to it. Places like Brookline, Beechview, Brighton Heights, etc. would probably become much more desirable if it was possible for Oakland workers to live in those areas and only take ONE bus instead of needing to transfer from Downtown first.
Considering all the money going into the Downtown/Oakland BRT, this isn't likely to happen. The whole point of the system is to try and provide a Downtown/Oakland circulator which comes about as frequently as the P1, eliminating most of the inconvenience of the existing transfer system. Hell, they really want to eventually have all buses terminate in either Downtown or Oakland, but not both - although due to popular opposition this has been pushed back on a bit.

As an aside, the P1 is always, always jammed now at the end of the day. I mean, sometimes three or four P1's in a row pass by Steel Plaza without stopping because they've already taken on the maximum number of passengers. I have to wonder if the Port Authority is going to have to consider triple-length buses or something soon.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
PAT has really made a lot of ground up in modernization. From elimination of zones to ConnectCards, better way-finding and maps, and real-time GPS. The new leadership has done a great job maximizing the limited budgets they get, and it seems to be bearing fruit.

I was able to drop my car two year ago with the advent of GPS and Uber. Now, any time I am headed out the door I assess the options at that moment. I always check the bus app first to see if there's one coming in the next 5 minutes...if that's the case, I take the bus. I never used to bother with that option previously. Second is biking, if the weather is good. If it's raining and it's a short distance, I'll walk it with an umbrella. Worst case scenario, if the weather is ****, I'm going beyond walking distance, and there are no buses for 15 minutes, I'll grab a car.

It's been much easier than I thought it would be to live without a car because of this. I did place myself along a few major bus routes, so that certainly helps.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
I think one of the reasons for the increase in ridership is that the system is much easier to use now. With Connect Cards, you don't have to worry about carrying money and it's super-quick to board now. The apps that show the buses in real time on the route let you know exactly where it is at any given moment. They added or extended some popular routes to major destinations, and there are a couple newer crosstown routes that don't go downtown (Lawrenceville - Waterfront, South Side-Bakery Square). The busways, of course, are a godsend, and are a faster way than driving and eliminate that hassle.

In my part of town, the buses are crowded with all the young people that have moved here in the last few years. Many don't even own a car, and if they do, they certainly don't use it every day.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Towards the airport in Moon and Robinson for starters. Those warehouses, retail, small manufacturers and the corps out there off Campbells Run yet bus service there is abysmal. The 28x skips that area so what else you got? The 29 I guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh