Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:44 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,407,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If people only knew how CHEAP that island was when it was new construction!!!! Now? Not so much. lol
The evolution of Herrs Island

$139,900 to start, that is crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 08:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,039,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The evolution of Herrs Island

$139,900 to start, that is crazy
I was selling Real Estate back then and showed one for that price. Wow, what a deal! That place is pretty damn cool and unique.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,576,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I was selling Real Estate back then and showed one for that price. Wow, what a deal! That place is pretty damn cool and unique.
My former spouse purchased an end unit near the roundabout area when Washington's Landing was a new development. Having a roommate who lived on the top floor pretty much paid his mortgage for him.

Suffice it to say that he made out fairly well when he sold the unit about a decade or so after he'd bought it.

For the O.P., Washington's Landing would be a wonderfully simple commute to AGH. No traffic, no fuss, and the island is relatively quiet once you get away from the bar/restaurant (if it's still there, that is) and the boat slips. Winter weather is a non-issue as is flooding. The only flooding related incident that I recall that affected the island was when Hurricane Ivan came through and took the entire J dock down the river along with all of the boats that were attached to it.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 04-09-2019 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 06:24 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,080,045 times
Working in AGH, you absolutely want to look to areas to the north of the city (provided you're a suburb person, not a city person, which seems the case). This area is collectively called the "North Hills." The North Hills are arguably the most desirable swathe of Pittsburgh suburbia overall, due in large part to the relatively recent construction of 279 meaning they boomed a bit later than suburbs to the east and south of the city, meaning less small dated mid-century homes and more contemporary designs. There's not really a single section of the North Hills where you wouldn't get decent appreciation on a home, though generally speaking the inner suburbs (like Shaler and Ross) are a bit more downscale than the outer ones (Franklin Park, McCandless, Pine, etc).

I would not look anywhere south or east of the city, because you'd have to drive through or near Downtown to get to work. Somewhere to the west near the airport would be more feasible, because you could avoid going into town, but it doesn't get you anything, so you could just look north. The other option would be living in the city, which does indeed have family friendly neighborhoods, but you pay a premium for living somewhere walkable, and it sounds like you don't like historic homes anyway.

Could you describe what your price range actually is? By national standards Pittsburgh is still considered kinda a cheap city, though I know in Atlanta there's just so much construction constantly happening that it keeps the price of homes somewhat depressed.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,138,443 times
Yeah, North of the city also gives you a good deal of options. Most school districts rank pretty well and there is a decent amount of new construction spread throughout if you are not wanting older stock. Depends on what exactly your price range is and what else is important. My mom has had some medical issues over the past few years and I live out in the general North Hills area (Ben Avon) so I have been to AGH often at various times. Commute really isn't bad as there are several route options. It is usually easier when you dont need to cross a bridge or go through a tunnel. Out this way you have Ross/McCandless, Ben Avon, Pine Richland, Franklin Park, Ohio Twp, and also Wexford or Sewickley though a little further out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh