Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 11:20 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times

Advertisements

“It involved a whopping $1.5 billion upgrade to its Mon Valley Works. This included an upgrade of the Edgar Thomson Works in Braddock, the Irvin Plant in West Mifflin, and Clairton Coke Works, with technology and improvements that would have provided cleaner air for all three communities where the plants are located, as well as good-paying jobs that would have provided prosperity for the region for decades”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...lar-investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 11:22 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Later, they will blame it on Trump.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Later, they will blame it on Trump.
Bingo...amongst other excuses.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:26 AM

408 posts, read 231,371 times
Good. Although, I think the article is misleading. Mainly because in April of 2019 USS steel put the project on hold with no explanation and during this time they were doing research overall on all their facilities. Also, odd their pledge to be carbon neutral by 2050 and the way steel markets are changing. Honestly, we may never know the gritty truth but I will state I stand on the side of that plant shutting down.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Good. Although, I think the article is misleading. Mainly because in April of 2019 USS steel put the project on hold with no explanation and during this time they were doing research overall on all their facilities. Also, odd their pledge to be carbon neutral by 2050 and the way steel markets are changing. Honestly, we may never know the gritty truth but I will state I stand on the side of that plant shutting down.
Right, because an area with an already lousy economy, combined with Wolf making it worse, and the population declining, doesn’t need all the help it can get.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:33 AM

408 posts, read 231,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Right, because an area with an already lousy economy, combined with Wolf making it worse, and the population declining, doesn’t need all the help it can get.
Lousy economy? We have the 24th / 25th highest MSA economy in the country with over 160 billion dollar GDP (which Pittsburgh City has a large chunk of that ). Much higher GDP than it has ever been.

Tax revenue has never been higher as well compared to past decades. 2020 alone was over 100 million EIT tax much higher than it has ever been even with 400k+ individuals. Real estate taxes much higher, higher incomes, etc.

Let me clarify your statement. Lousy economy for blue collar workers (in this type of manufacturing) who do not want to improve their skill sets? Of course.

Last edited by Higherho; 05-05-2021 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-05-2021, 11:37 AM

807 posts, read 616,890 times
Boy, you think they could have devoted a few sentences to Braddock's defeat, other than just a throw away line:

The Edgar Thomson Works, named after a Pennsylvania Railroad president, was built by Andrew Carnegie in the 1870s on the site of an old French and Indian War battlefield.

Erieguy, you are always going on and on about all the "free stuff" from the current admin, I don't know why Biden's economic team isn't sitting down with US steel and saying, here's the F'ing money, let's make clean steel in Western PA.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Lousy economy? We have the 24th / 25th highest MSA economy with over 160 billion dollar GDP (which Pittsburgh City has a large chunk of that ). Much higher GDP than it has ever been.

Tax revenue has never been higher as well compared to past decades. 2020 alone was over 100 million EIT tax much higher than it has ever been even with 400k+ individuals. Real estate taxes much higher, higher incomes, etc.

Let me clarify your statement. Lousy economy for blue collar workers who do not want to improve their skill sets? Of course.
Where doesn’t it compare throughout the country? Let’s not forget that PA’s economy ranks 42-44/50 in the country depending on what source is used.

Interesting how you assume it’s blue collar workers when the population continues to decline and white collared workers aren’t coming, either.

Another area will prosper off of the money that the US Steel upgrade would’ve brought, but I do understand how standards for the area are low and status quo is accepted.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Boy, you think they could have devoted a few sentences to Braddock's defeat, other than just a throw away line:

The Edgar Thomson Works, named after a Pennsylvania Railroad president, was built by Andrew Carnegie in the 1870s on the site of an old French and Indian War battlefield.

Erieguy, you are always going on and on about all the "free stuff" from the current admin, I don't know why Biden's economic team isn't sitting down with US steel and saying, here's the F'ing money, let's make clean steel in Western PA.
Perhaps you should send an email and see what they say.

Sleepy Joe will just borrow, print, and give out free stuff at an alarming rate rather than have US Steel provide jobs and a boost to the Pittsburgh economy. Besides, US Steel will just take their money elsewhere.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:49 AM

807 posts, read 616,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Perhaps you should send an email and see what they say.
I have a strict "one righteous email a day" policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh