Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 07:07 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,077 times

Advertisements

"Mount Oliver Bodega will feature a white pizza topped with fresh veggies and edible flowers."

mount oliver is not convenient for me to get to, so next time i order mineo's i'm gonna get a large half pepperoni half edible flowers - that's a topping i really want to try! not

Renowned chef Kevin Sousa teams up to open 2 new destination spots

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...tination-spots

Old 08-09-2021, 08:07 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
"Mount Oliver Bodega will feature a white pizza topped with fresh veggies and edible flowers."

mount oliver is not convenient for me to get to, so next time i order mineo's i'm gonna get a large half pepperoni half edible flowers - that's a topping i really want to try! not

Renowned chef Kevin Sousa teams up to open 2 new destination spots

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...tination-spots
That picture doesn't look very appetizing. Still trying to understand why he does this in neighborhoods that are really quite violent. A lot of shootings in Mt. Oliver. I confess I don't know it up there all that well, so many some areas are okay, but it is in the news a lot.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:27 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That picture doesn't look very appetizing. Still trying to understand why he does this in neighborhoods that are really quite violent. A lot of shootings in Mt. Oliver. I confess I don't know it up there all that well, so many some areas are okay, but it is in the news a lot.
really? OK, its not the most desirable place, but its hardly the worst, to my knowledge. lots of drugs, but a stable, mostly lower economic class. there is a punk / metal sub-culture there. some streets, and i cant remember if is the borough or the city neighborhood of Mt. Oliver, are very pretty.

the place has always intrigued me.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:39 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
really? OK, its not the most desirable place, but its hardly the worst, to my knowledge. lots of drugs, but a stable, mostly lower economic class. there is a punk / metal sub-culture there. some streets, and i cant remember if is the borough or the city neighborhood of Mt. Oliver, are very pretty.

the place has always intrigued me.
I keep up on local news as it pertains to me. I see reported shootings in Mt. Oliver enough to know I wouldn't touch that area within a mile. Also it is next to Carrick.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crim...nsylvania.html

Old 08-10-2021, 08:10 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
In regards to this thread in general I see no issue with PARTS of this city being trendy/hip/chic/swanky and other PARTS not being that way.

The entire city population is not riding Segways around in the bike lanes while using one hand to sip chianti and talk about the plight of Rwanda while bashing Republicans and bopping their head to electronica music. The percentage of those types within city limits has increased over the past decade, but then you still have plenty of neighborhoods like my own Marshall-Shadeland where small groups of unemployed middle-aged men hang out in the alley all day smoking weed and chugging beer and shouting f-bombs.

The neighborhoods that ARE becoming more like San Francisco or Boulder are bringing in much-needed increased tax revenues into city coffers, and those revenues can then be redistributed to help reinforce neighborhoods in dire need of increased investment (like my own neighborhood).

Old 08-10-2021, 08:13 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In regards to this thread in general I see no issue with PARTS of this city being trendy/hip/chic/swanky and other PARTS not being that way.

The entire city population is not riding Segways around in the bike lanes while using one hand to sip chianti and talk about the plight of Rwanda while bashing Republicans and bopping their head to electronica music. The percentage of those types within city limits has increased over the past decade, but then you still have plenty of neighborhoods like my own Marshall-Shadeland where small groups of unemployed middle-aged men hang out in the alley all day smoking weed and chugging beer and shouting f-bombs.

The neighborhoods that ARE becoming more like San Francisco or Boulder are bringing in much-needed increased tax revenues into city coffers, and those revenues can then be redistributed to help reinforce neighborhoods in dire need of increased investment (like my own neighborhood).
Wow have you grown! Well said.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:24 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow have you grown! Well said.
Yes, I was gentrified out of Polish Hill, which I truly loved. With that being said it was better for the city at-large that I was forced out and replaced by higher-earning people who can pay more taxes to help the city at-large. I am not bitter about it anymore after crying when I realized I had to move after living there for a decade.

Despite our best efforts, though, we are somehow already contributing to new gentrification in our new neighborhood. Our home's "Zestimate" (Zillow estimate) has gone up about $12,000 from what we paid for our home in March 2020, and that is without even factoring in the renovations we have made. We paid $54,900 for our home back then, and it could probably sell for $75,000 now. Crazy appreciation. I don't want to see people displaced from our current neighborhood, but there are now a few flips hitting the market here now and then that go for over asking price despite the neighborhood's violent reputation. I guess the city at-large is just trending more affluent.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:42 AM
gg

Quote:
Yes, I was gentrified out of Polish Hill, which I truly loved. With that being said it was better for the city at-large that I was forced out and replaced by higher-earning people who can pay more taxes to help the city at-large. I am not bitter about it anymore after crying when I realized I had to move after living there for a decade.

Despite our best efforts, though, we are somehow already contributing to new gentrification in our new neighborhood. Our home's "Zestimate" (Zillow estimate) has gone up about $12,000 from what we paid for our home in March 2020, and that is without even factoring in the renovations we have made. We paid $54,900 for our home back then, and it could probably sell for $75,000 now. Crazy appreciation. I don't want to see people displaced from our current neighborhood, but there are now a few flips hitting the market here now and then that go for over asking price despite the neighborhood's violent reputation. I guess the city at-large is just trending more affluent.
I do want to point out that if you keep your home for two years as a primary residence, you can then sell it at a profit tax-free. That being said, you COULD keep jumping from home to home every two years to eventually live where you want. I sort of did that for a while. Ah, that was a VERY long time ago, but you can still do that today.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:51 AM

882 posts, read 335,883 times
Quote:
Triding Segways around in the bike lanes while using one hand to sip chianti and talk about the plight of Rwanda while bashing Republicans and bopping their head to electronica music.

Dude....you know you're not being clever when you come with stuff like this, right? I get that it's your shtick and you've been doing it since you've been on here, but it's kinda tired and hackey. For what it's worth, it takes away from any point you try to make.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:04 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Dude....you know you're not being clever when you come with stuff like this, right? I get that it's your shtick and you've been doing it since you've been on here, but it's kinda tired and hackey. For what it's worth, it takes away from any point you try to make.
Oh for heaven's sake, have a sense of humor and put away your anger for a moment. I found it hilarious to say the least. He was gentrified out of an area. He has a right to poke some fun. Interesting how people can't at least pretend to walk in someone else's shoes for a bit.

Loved the joke SCR. I about spilled my smoothy, or was it my latte??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh