Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:04 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

I almost feel hesitant to write a starting summary of Brighton Heights. I say this because several of our forum regulars live there and can write in detail about the neighborhood far better than I am able to. But I feel comfortable that I can cover the basics.

Brighton Heights is of course an outer neighborhood in Pittsburgh's North Side which is mostly streetcar suburban in layout. I have heard the mixture of building stock compared to Highland Park, which I think is a pretty accurate appraisal. There isn't much in the way of pre-1900 housing stock (except for right around Woods Run), but a large proportion of the neighborhood was built out within the first three decades of the 20th century. There are individual streets of postwar housing, along with a relatively modern townhouse complex off of Brighton Woods Road, but on the whole the neighborhood is dominated by foursquares, bungalows, and similar housing styles - many of which are still pretty stunningly intact on the inside.

Brighton Heights has several small business districts. The most well known is at the intersection of California and Termon, but there are also ones at the intersection of Brighton and Benton, along with further up Brighton at the intersection with Kleber Street. In addition along the Woods Run industrial corridor shared with Marshall-Shadeland there are a mixture of commercial activities, including some local bars. There are also a few scattered businesses in other portions of Brighton and California. If all this commercial activity was concentrated in one area it probably would feel pretty walkable, but the spread out nature detracts a bit from the neighborhood having any one central focal point.

As Brighton Heights is a rather large neighborhood geographically, different portions of the neighborhood are currently considered to be experiencing different dynamics. Brighton Heights south of Davis is commonly considered to be in decline - albeit a decline which seems to be happening at a much slower rate than nearby Marshall Shadeland or parts of Observatory Hill. In contrast, the northern portions of Brighton Heights are by far the wealthiest, most stable, and most family-friendly portion of the outer North Side. I'm not sure gentrification is the right word for the dynamic going on there, but there certainly are (as forumers will attest) recent transplants who have been attracted to a neighborhood which is affordable, socially stable, and has some incredible housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM

130 posts, read 122,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If all this commercial activity was concentrated in one area it probably would feel pretty walkable, but the spread out nature detracts a bit from the neighborhood having any one central focal point.

Brighton Heights south of Davis is commonly considered to be in decline - albeit a decline which seems to be happening at a much slower rate than nearby Marshall Shadeland or parts of Observatory Hill.
I can certainly agree with the first point. The commercial districts have no rhyme or reason. It's really hard to have a thriving business thoroughfare when the businesses are just scattered pockets throughout the neighborhood. I don't really see any solution to this, either, which is unfortunate.

I find the "South of Davis" mantra (common on this forum) to be slightly accurate, but way too broad. The only areas of decline south of Davis area are really concentrated on everything southwest of Lee St and Davis Ave, and even then in parts its block-to-block. McClure Ave from Woods Run up the hill to Gass Ave is a bit blighted, but walking through there never feels dangerous. There are really nice blocks south of Davis (Davis/McClure to Law, Shadeland to the bridge, the area bounding Davis and Etola, and the Stanford/Diploma/Campus street area).

Lots of young couples are buying houses here, particularly in the 150-200k range. When I was looking to buy here, it seemed like most houses were going for less than 150k, but anymore I am seeing things easily go between 175-225. Real gems are going for higher.

For most anyone that values city living, it's going to be a compromise living in Brighton Heights. I gave up the walkability and amenities of the Friendship/Bloomfield area. In return I got a big yard/deck, 2 car garage, quiet, and a house that would easily fetch 350k in the East End. BH isn't likely going to check off all the boxes on your list, but even with the tradeoffs I don't regret my decision--but I'm sure it's not for everyone. I don't mind driving everywhere, so 10 mins to Lawrenceville, 5 mins downtown, 10 mins to McKnight, 15 mins to Oakland--it works for me.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:56 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If all this commercial activity was concentrated in one area it probably would feel pretty walkable, but the spread out nature detracts a bit from the neighborhood having any one central focal point.
You can say that again. I once said that Brighton Heights' businesses are useful to a fault, and I stand by that. You can go to the dentist, get your hair cut, buy a cell phone, get some groceries, do your laundry, consult a lawyer, drop your car off at the shop, take the kids to school and daycare, and pick up a prescription...but you can basically forget about anything fun aside from playgrounds and athletic facilities for kids.

One reason for this is that the owner of many of the properties in the California business district won't allow any food-related businesses except for a coffee shop. So instead of maybe a small casual sit down restaurant (a la El Burro), or small non-smoking bar, or even a freaking fro-yo joint, we get a new Metro PCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
I find the "South of Davis" mantra (common on this forum) to be slightly accurate, but way too broad.
I also agree that the "south of Davis" rule is overly broad and a little lazy, since it's inaccurate more often than not. Everything east of McClure/Gass is fine and pretty much the same as the rest of the neighborhood. I agree that southwest from Davis and Lees (with an 's' at the end; Google is wrong) is a better way to define the area in question.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,556 times
It's funny, but for a big Northside fan I never really go up to Brighton Heights. We have driven through and admired the houses, but that's about it. Are there any particular restaurants you guys would recommend?

EDIT: I mean, I did see the comments above, about how there isn't a restaurant like El Burro etc before I posted, but...but is that literally true? There's no little destination that I should check out?

Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times
Are there any schools left in this area? I understand John Morrow Elementary School is closed and Oliver High School is closed also? Wasn't there one off Shadeland, an elementary school? I grew up here, it was a nice place to be as a kid. Rode my bike all over the place, roller skated up and down my street. We used to have a closer access into Riverview Park, but unfortunately I guess that bridge is no more. We also used to walk into Belleview for a little shopping, but that might be considered too long a walk for some.

It's a shame there isn't more commercial business along Brighton road. We used to be able to walk to a drug store, a grocery store, a bakery, a dry cleaner, and a beauty shop. There are some pretty nice houses up on Termon, and there was a candy store on a corner, which I think last time we visited up there was a camera shop?

Boy, I sorta miss the old neighborhood. I can say it didn't really feel much like we were actually in a city, with lots of big yards and huge trees. I loved the quick streetcar ride into the city.

Well, that was a walk through a memory, but this is about how it is now, so you guys continue and I will read with interest.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It's funny, but for a big Northside fan I never really go up to Brighton Heights. We have driven through and admired the houses, but that's about it. Are there any particular restaurants you guys would recommend?
Miller's is the only sit down restaurant, and it's not really worth a visit. I like the white pizza from Nick's on Benton, but it's just a little dingy hole in the wall take out place.

There's really not a lot of reason to come to Brighton Heights if you don't live here, but if you're looking for a reason then I think the best option would be to go to Davis and Brighton and get a hair cut at the Humble Barber, then shop vintage at Mustard and Relics next door, and check out the monuments at Legion Park. If you have kids, the new playground on Letort is nice, too.

If aerobics or cycling interest you, then California Cyclepath's exercise classes would be worth the trip.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Miller's is the only sit down restaurant, and it's not really worth a visit. I like the white pizza from Nick's on Benton, but it's just a little dingy hole in the wall take out place.

There's really not a lot of reason to come to Brighton Heights if you don't live here, but if you're looking for a reason then I think the best option would be to go to Davis and Brighton and get a hair cut at the Humble Barber, shop vintage at Mustard and Relics next door, and check out the monuments at Legion Park. If you have kids, the new playground on Letort is nice, too.

If aerobics or cycling interest you, then California Cyclepath's exercise classes would be worth the trip.
Thanks -- Mustard and Relics sounds especially cool. What is the laundry + coffee place up there? We don't need a laundromat, but a friend who lives out that way does her laundry there and I keep meaning to meet her there, just to get an idea of the neighborhood.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Are there any schools left in this area? I understand John Morrow Elementary School is closed and Oliver High School is closed also? Wasn't there one off Shadeland, an elementary school? I grew up here, it was a nice place to be as a kid. Rode my bike all over the place, roller skated up and down my street. We used to have a closer access into Riverview Park, but unfortunately I guess that bridge is no more. We also used to walk into Belleview for a little shopping, but that might be considered too long a walk for some.

It's a shame there isn't more commercial business along Brighton road. We used to be able to walk to a drug store, a grocery store, a bakery, a dry cleaner, and a beauty shop. There are some pretty nice houses up on Termon, and there was a candy store on a corner, which I think last time we visited up there was a camera shop?

Boy, I sorta miss the old neighborhood. I can say it didn't really feel much like we were actually in a city, with lots of big yards and huge trees. I loved the quick streetcar ride into the city.

Well, that was a walk through a memory, but this is about how it is now, so you guys continue and I will read with interest.
Thanks for this, it's nice hearing about how things were! My #1 wish would be to see some streetcars come back.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Are there any schools left in this area? I understand John Morrow Elementary School is closed and Oliver High School is closed also? Wasn't there one off Shadeland, an elementary school? I grew up here, it was a nice place to be as a kid. Rode my bike all over the place, roller skated up and down my street.
John Morrow is still open. So is the middle school, which is now also called John Morrow (I guess it was called Rooney in the past...I don't know what it was before that). Oliver is indeed closed, but still standing. Horace Mann is the elementary school on Shadeland that closed; it's still standing and is for sale for $300K.

Quote:
We used to have a closer access into Riverview Park, but unfortunately I guess that bridge is no more.
It's supposedly on the list to be rebuilt, but it's been gone since 2009.

Quote:
I loved the quick streetcar ride into the city.
What year was this? It's still a quick bus ride to the city; that is definitely one of the big perks.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Thanks -- Mustard and Relics sounds especially cool. What is the laundry + coffee place up there? We don't need a laundromat, but a friend who lives out that way does her laundry there and I keep meaning to meet her there, just to get an idea of the neighborhood.
Mustard is absolutely worth a visit if that sort of style interests you. It's easily the most interesting/unique business in Brighton Heights.

I haven't been to the laundromat/cafe since they remodeled, so I'll have to let someone else answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh