Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2022, 06:55 AM

1,171 posts, read 538,853 times

Advertisements

at the corner of walnut and maryland are three storefronts, one of which used to be ehrenreich's market where you could get everything - they even had a butcher

recently someone tried to make the space work as a lame convenience store but it closed after a year

currently Georgie’s Corner Cafe has taken over the space - so far so good - not groceries but at least coffee and baked goods

yesterday they posted on their facebook page to "run down to georgie's for coffee and pastries to support the runners" - sounds good, i could check that out
https://www.facebook.com/Georgies-Co...07291855062013

no! you cannot check it out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc83LRELK14/

i work at a longstanding pittsburgh food establishment that has had several covid cases since i started working there last year and NOT ONCE was there ever a discussion of closing the restaurant

nor have there been any negative repercussions from that stay open policy - it's the same policy i'm sure they had before i got there which is IF YOU'RE SICK STAY HOME - you don't temporarily shut the entire business down and screw everybody including the rest of the staff and customers because of one "positive COVID diagnosis"

total madness - i hope the place fails
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 07:01 AM

1,913 posts, read 744,526 times
It's especially stupid because closing or staying open makes no difference with omicron.

They could close permanently. Then they wouldn't have to deal with the problem.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:31 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
total madness - i hope the place fails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
It's especially stupid because closing or staying open makes no difference with omicron.

They could close permanently. Then they wouldn't have to deal with the problem.
Ya'll, lets try to have some sympathy for the owner.
Any regular reader of this board knows how I feel about the pandemic - so I dont support this action, but I understand why it may be necessary.

This is a coffee shop in Shadyside in the East End of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh. Exactly how many Republicans do you think applied to work there? Zero. Chances are: a young, white, Progressive who is social-media savvy.
What is the customer base like for a neighborhood coffee shop in the East End of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh? I dont think many of them are going to wear MAGA hats.

So, I'm the owner, I havent even opened the doors yet.. and one of my hippie employees gets the Rona. I want to open during a special event that I've advertised for. And the hippie covidist, or one of their friends or family or coworkers, threatens to complain about it on social media. They'll get on Reddit, Yelp, Google Reviews, Twitter, et al, and say what a monster I am. My business would be absolutely EFFED with a terrible neighborhood reputation before I even open the door to serve the first customer.

What do I do? I choose not to alienate my neighborhood's customer base and make them think I share their values. So I close, due to the one ridiculous rona case. I lose money, but I take far less of a reputational hit and subsequent economic hit than if I had stayed open and the People's Commissars from Woke Twitter were sicked on me. And in 6 weeks, I come up with a bull**** excuse to fire the problematic employee.

Its a ridiculous situation, but put yourself in the owner's shoes - theyre likely in a no-win situation and they chose to pick the least worst option.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:00 AM

1,913 posts, read 744,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Ya'll, lets try to have some sympathy for the owner.
Any regular reader of this board knows how I feel about the pandemic - so I dont support this action, but I understand why it may be necessary.

This is a coffee shop in Shadyside in the East End of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh. Exactly how many Republicans do you think applied to work there? Zero. Chances are: a young, white, Progressive who is social-media savvy.
What is the customer base like for a neighborhood coffee shop in the East End of the People's Republic of Pittsburgh? I dont think many of them are going to wear MAGA hats.

So, I'm the owner, I havent even opened the doors yet.. and one of my hippie employees gets the Rona. I want to open during a special event that I've advertised for. And the hippie covidist, or one of their friends or family or coworkers, threatens to complain about it on social media. They'll get on Reddit, Yelp, Google Reviews, Twitter, et al, and say what a monster I am. My business would be absolutely EFFED with a terrible neighborhood reputation before I even open the door to serve the first customer.

What do I do? I choose not to alienate my neighborhood's customer base and make them think I share their values. So I close, due to the one ridiculous rona case. I lose money, but I take far less of a reputational hit and subsequent economic hit than if I had stayed open and the People's Commissars from Woke Twitter were sicked on me. And in 6 weeks, I come up with a bull**** excuse to fire the problematic employee.

Its a ridiculous situation, but put yourself in the owner's shoes - theyre likely in a no-win situation and they chose to pick the least worst option.
It reminds me of the Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergeron",

Old 05-01-2022, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 30,278 times
Imagine closing over the flu

Old 06-13-2022, 12:57 PM

468 posts, read 124,846 times
Hey now! On this message board, it's perfectly ok to suggest that the Guvnor end his life, but not one of the posters. Really, ma'am. I think BPS puts the "shady" in Shadyside, but I don't want him dead!

Old 06-13-2022, 01:08 PM

1,171 posts, read 538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Hey now! On this message board, it's perfectly ok to suggest that the Guvnor end his life, but not one of the posters. Really, ma'am. I think BPS puts the "shady" in Shadyside, but I don't want him dead!
thanks, bro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh