Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 08:47 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,077,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
But why not Youngstown? Youngstown is only 19 miles away from New Castle.
my understanding is that some in the 'know' (urban planners, administrators, etc.) feel that that is coming.

I like Youngstown. Its far from perfect, though. For a middle class income in a technical field, one can find a great home and a lower cost of living. not all the amenities of, say, pgh, though (bus service, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 05:14 AM

32,626 posts, read 77,780,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
But why not Youngstown? Youngstown is only 19 miles away from New Castle.
It is totally bizarre to me that instead of commuting 19 miles from New Castle to Youngstown more people would rather commute 43 miles from New Castle to the airport area employers or perhaps 53 miles from New Castle to Downtown Pittsburgh. Mahoning County is truly imploding socioeconomically if more people would rather commute an hour to Greater Pittsburgh than 20 minutes to Youngstown from New Castle.

If I'm understanding MSA's correctly 25% of Lawrence County commuters now commute into the "core" (Allegheny) county of the MSA, correct? That's just bizarre to me because this area is way too cheap overall to "force" people to live an hour outside the city and commute back in. This isn't San Francisco (outside of the East End of the city, anyways).

Old 07-25-2023, 05:40 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It is totally bizarre to me that instead of commuting 19 miles from New Castle to Youngstown more people would rather commute 43 miles from New Castle to the airport area employers or perhaps 53 miles from New Castle to Downtown Pittsburgh. Mahoning County is truly imploding socioeconomically if more people would rather commute an hour to Greater Pittsburgh than 20 minutes to Youngstown from New Castle.
Its actually very common in areas, I'll assume is simply money that you can earn more in Pgh or job types. Longer drive is worth the $ or the job you want and its really not that much more of a drive.

Growing up in south NJ (and still today) many many people travel 60-90 up to north NJ/NY

Old 07-25-2023, 06:26 AM

2,943 posts, read 4,148,971 times
Quote:
Pike County is no longer in the NYC CSA. It was just removed with this latest update. Monroe County was also added to the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton MSA to create a new CSA of over 1,000,000 people.
Yeah, I saw that afterwards and it makes sense because the biggest commuter flows out of Pike were into Wayne, Orange (NY), and Monroe. NJ gets a lot but it's from a lot of small numbers.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:43 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,627,675 times
Quote:

If I'm understanding MSA's correctly 25% of Lawrence County commuters now commute into the "core" (Allegheny) county of the MSA, correct? That's just bizarre to me because this area is way too cheap overall to "force" people to live an hour outside the city and commute back in. This isn't San Francisco (outside of the East End of the city, anyways).

That part of Ohio has trouble. But I think lots of people are just bad at counting costs when it comes to commuting. They seem to count only the cost of gas and not for the actual cost of driving (wear and tear on the car) or the cost of their time.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:45 AM

777 posts, read 356,386 times
Quote:

People aren't movie to Lawrence county because they can't afford to live closer to Pgh.

People who already live in Lawrence county can't find work in that county (and probably have limited opportunities in Youngstown - which btw even though it's closer, has no great highway access from New Castle). Resident clearly look toward Pgh for jobs.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:03 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,141,628 times
But not as much, many I know working remote perm now have opt'd to move further away. Not everyone likes city life, just sometimes its required.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:23 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,077,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
People aren't movie to Lawrence county because they can't afford to live closer to Pgh.

People who already live in Lawrence county can't find work in that county...look toward Pgh for jobs.

i think you are correct. they ALREADY have roots, have homes, etc. They would rather suffer the not THAT intolerable drive* to get to Pittsburgh.

and, maybe those areas are just quieter, with better air quality, too.

*the I-5 in Seattle, the QEW from north of Toronto all the way to freakin' St. Catherines, ANYWHERE around Los Angeles - any commute from Lawrence County to, say, the North Hills of Pittsburgh is in no way as terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh