Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 10:20 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
yeah, humans tend to get used to things pretty quickly and it becomes normal within short times. I stopped by GE the other night and had not thought about the ban taking place that day. I had to get two paper bags, which the handles broke almost immediately. I will be sure to carry a couple reusable bags in the car from now on in case I have to stop by a store unplanned.
Aldi paper bag handles are very sturdy. I purchase extra paper bags. I prefer paper bags for meats and things that can potentially leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 07:50 AM

79 posts, read 69,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Good question.

I see the Snap/food stamp people are exempt, so no .10 fee for them. So I guess they will have to tell the cashiers they are on food stamps. Sounds interesting as many probably don't want to announce it. That part sounds awkward. Glad it is only a city thing. Those in the burbs, no worries.
I live outside the city, all the businesses in the area are charging for bags now. At least in my area, it is not just a city thing. I have already seen people being handed boxes of insulin not in bags.

Last edited by moreofless; 10-18-2023 at 08:04 AM..

Old 10-18-2023, 07:51 AM

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...prise-patrons/

I like this part:
Raether says McDonald's was wrong to charge Jacqueline 10 cents for her food bag because there's an exception for open food. As long as she ordered French fries, the bag should be free.

"There's an exception for any order that contains unwrapped prepared food, so that would include those things in this case like fries, hash browns, or muffins that you get from McDonald's – anything that's not completely wrapped," he said.
Do you want fries with that!

Last edited by moreofless; 10-18-2023 at 08:06 AM..

Old 10-18-2023, 08:02 AM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
I'd like to know which "charities" this money is going to.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:47 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
I live outside the city, all the businesses in the area are charging for bags now. At least in my area, it is not just a city thing. I have already seen people being handed boxes of insulin not in bags.
Never encountered a suburban store charging. You got taken. Why would they do that? Name a store doing it.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Never encountered a suburban store charging. You got taken. Why would they do that? Name a store doing it.
At least two stores in Bellevue. I did not need a bag, but I watched them charge the person in front of me. One store has a sign on their front door.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:36 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
At least two stores in Bellevue. I did not need a bag, but I watched them charge the person in front of me. One store has a sign on their front door.
Then the store is using it as a revenue generator if it's not required.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Just picked up a TON of plastic bags this evening while litter-picking around the 65 ramp system here in Marshall-Shadeland after work, so this ban is long overdue. I hope it is expanded to the suburbs also.

Old 10-18-2023, 06:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I'd like to know which "charities" this money is going to.
One of them is Allegheny CleanWays, which does environmental remediation projects around Allegheny County. I have volunteered with them before, and they do incredible work.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Just picked up a TON of plastic bags this evening while litter-picking around the 65 ramp system here in Marshall-Shadeland after work, so this ban is long overdue. I hope it is expanded to the suburbs also.
This is already being applied in Bellevue. It is not well thought out. One store is using small paper bags that only hold one or two items. They do not have handles so they are cumbersome to carry. many people in that area walk or take public transportation to shop. Paper bags do not hold up well in that case and they do not work at all in the rain. Sometime people are not planning to shop and just decide to pick something up so they are not carrying a bag with them. If I buy an order of fries, I should not be charged but if I buy a Big Mac I am charged. I saw a pharmacy handing a customer a box of insulin without a bag.

There is probably more plastic in the cap on a bottle of shampoo than in hundreds of bags.

Last edited by moreofless; 10-19-2023 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh