Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 AM

807 posts, read 617,512 times

Advertisements

This is very frustrating -- I think of Dormont as a safe place, and I've stated as much on this website.

Any thoughts about this? Now I know another reason why I've rented here for many years, but have been reluctant to buy.

Dormont officers injured in drug buy gone awry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
This is very frustrating -- I think of Dormont as a safe place, and I've stated as much on this website.

Any thoughts about this? Now I know another reason why I've rented here for many years, but have been reluctant to buy.

One of the officers broke his leg when he fell while trying to subdue a suspect and the other one pricked himself on a needle. Meanwhile the second suspect took the money from the drug buy and ran away.

I take it they call it the "Keystone State" because of the cops?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post

I don't think one drug incident that made news should change the way you feel about the community. Drugs are everywhere.

I however have never cared for Dormont. I just get this lower class white trash feel going through there.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM

297 posts, read 505,624 times
Dormont is an ok area, no different than green tree, brentwood or castle shannon. a few poorer people there than mt. lebanon or bethel park, but i wouldn't be afraid of living there. Watch the news enough and you'll hear about crimes happening in Ross or South Park. There was a horrific story not long ago about a student that raped several girls at Upper St. Clair hs. Come on, Upper St. Clair!!! Things can happen anywhere.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 AM

807 posts, read 617,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I however have never cared for Dormont. I just get this lower class white trash feel going through there.
If you are just travelling up W. Liberty, I don't dispute that you might get this impression. Some of the buildings are run down and this certainly isn't downtown Sewickley. And you can certainly see from the distribution of incomes on city-data that there is a clustering on the lower end.

However, I think to imply that only lower middle class people live in Dormont is incorrect and perhaps a little unfair.

Dormont is always going to be somewhat of a victim to its relatively small size and the high percentage of rental properties. However, the same thing that made it desirable to me -- reasonable rents, proximity to downtown, "neighborhood" feel -- also make it a safe neighborhood that is in the reach of many with lower income levels.

Scott, I'd invite you to attend the annual Dormont House Tours next Fall in the hope that we could dispel the notion that Dormont is a "lower class white trash" area.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
People scuffle with police all the time all over town. Basically, Dormont got unlucky that the incident was picked up by the media. On the other hand, the needle is somewhat troubling because Heroin addicts sooner or later start breaking into houses. Unfortunately, drugs are everywhere these days. Drugs are found in poor neighborhoods and in wealthy neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Drugs are found in poor neighborhoods and in wealthy neighborhoods.
Seriously. It's just that it's crack in the poorer neighborhood and cocaine in the wealthier one.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Heroine is the culprit, not Dormont, and from what I understand it is everywhere around Pittsburgh. I have friends who live in nice areas, affluent areas, and those who don't. Still it seems that, as a friend told me on the phone recently, it (heroine) is in most every high school. I've never been big on the legalization of ALL drugs, but lately I have begun to reconsider. When you live in America, you become a defacto expert on commerce. If you want to be sure there is a proliferation of something, anything, just put a big profit in it. This is what this country does with illegal drugs. Should there be any wonder then that there is no shortage of enterprising men and women willing to supply that demand? Oh, and as far as Dormont, it is as good as you're gonna do, for that money and that convenience to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh