Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 PM

11 posts, read 30,409 times

Advertisements

We live in CA and are thinking about retiring in Peters because we have family nearby. Can you give me some info on what it is like living there. Looking for close proximity to shopping, dining, etc. Also, are there any bug problems to deal with like there is in the south? Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Peters is suburbia at it's best. Very popular these days because of lower taxes. Lots of higher end homes going up, it has it's share of shopping and dinning.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 30,409 times
thanks for the info

Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,795 times
My husband will be working @ CMU. We are moving from Long Island and have 3 school age children, one with special needs. School district is # 1 priority. We want a family friendly neighborhood, newer house in the 200-300 range. Close to shopping but not too urban. 30 minute commute to CMU if possible. No drugs area, no crime...houses not to spread out so the kids can play with neighbors. Any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac1972 View Post
My husband will be working @ CMU. We are moving from Long Island and have 3 school age children, one with special needs. School district is # 1 priority. We want a family friendly neighborhood, newer house in the 200-300 range. Close to shopping but not too urban. 30 minute commute to CMU if possible. No drugs area, no crime...houses not to spread out so the kids can play with neighbors. Any suggestions?
Look at Fox Chapel. Pretty much large houses, not to far apart, and a good schoo district, and it isn't to far from the city.

However, the "no drugs area" is impossible. I just posted it another thread. I grew up with two parents who never experienced drugs in their life. They had the same mentallity that they would build all new in some housing plan away from everything to keep their kids away from the evils of society. However, half the kids in the neighborhood smoked weed, many used LSD, and some did cocaine. Drugs exist in suburbia too across this nation. It is your parenting that will teach your kids not to use drugs. Not living in suburbia.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 12,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac1972 View Post
You won't find anything "new" for less than 500K in Peters Township. They are building quite a few million dollar homes in there now too. It's one of the nicest areas in Pittsburgh. You could probably find something old for around 300K here. Use realtor.com to see. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 23,190 times
Yeah I would agree to use Realtor.com to look at older homes in Peters Township to stay under 300k - or if you can go a little over 300k then Heartland Homes has a new community by Trax Farms I see ads in the paper for that say they have 1/2 acre lots from the "low $300s"? My girlfriend just bought the last home in one of their older communities and it was in the $310's... so new isn't impossible, but you'll certainly have to make some trade offs.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 55,974 times
You can buy homes under $300k in Peters. However, the prevoius poster is correct that they won't be NEW. In fact, I'd say the "Average" nice, but older, home is probably around $250k mark. There are many under that though too. They will need a little updating, but it is a great investment as the area is desireable and you can't beat the school district or taxes. Even if you aren't using the schools, it will help you on resale value later. Best of luck to you. If you find a home you are thinking of... another site that helped us was realstats net as you can put in the street name and search other home sales on that street to see where to come in at with your offer. Deals DO exist --- we got our house for about $30k under market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: