Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you even read the article? Nobody here is even talking about Obama or what was said about Obama.

Heck, if he said anything about Obama, I didn't read it. I didn't get that far. I only read until I couldn't take it anymoe, then I quit reading the article.

Nobody in this thread mentioned Obama either.

It's a good thing you got that all off your chest. All that strange pent up anger can't be good for your heart or your mental health.

Glad we could help you cope with your issues.

Wait, wait, wait....you didn't realize Obama was even criticized in the article and YOU are asking ME if I read it?!?!?! What?!?!?! So, you're saying you didn't get as far as the 2nd paragraph where he is mentioned by name? Did you get as far as the 3rd paragraph where he is AGAIN mentioned by name? What about all the other times he is mentioned in the article, did you skip over that part? I think you need to re-read the article and try to analyze who is being criticized, and it isn't the city. Put in a word for me at your next Princeton Alumni function, ok?

Didn't get as far as the 2nd paragraph, huh? Wow...just....wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Yeah, he criticized Obama. He's obviously racist. Let's all ignore him and focus on the millions and millions of green jobs that "the one" will soon be bringing into the region. YES WE CAN!!!
I get the sarcasm, I'm not even that big of a fan of the President, but Mr. Steigerwald is what he is.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,950 times
Article seems pretty dead nutz on, to me. He doesn't rip Pittsburgh or the region, more like the politicians, dems and unions that have run this town for the past 50 or more years. It is what it is and I doubt it will ever change. I'll continue to be happy living out in the "burbs" and still enjoy what the region has to offer.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
This is a boilerplate litany of complaints that has been accumulating in certain ideological and political circles for a long time. The thing is that it resonated a little bit better back when most people were convinced Pittsburgh was still in rapid decline, and now that Pittsburgh seems to be doing well it is becoming less compelling as a general thesis (not that all the individual criticisms lack merit, but the idea that the city is generally being led down a very bad path doesn't seem accurate).

Of course those with a vested ideological or political interest in this general thesis being true aren't going to give it up easily. Indeed, they may just get increasingly vitriolic as their position loses more and more favor with the general public.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times

YouTube - G20 Riots Start

Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post

Eh, let it all burn. I never cared much for Oakland or Bloomfield anyway. Let the lefties burn their neighborhood to the ground if they want. I'm sure Mayor Luke is in some bunker crying because so many of his $1,000 trash cans have been set on fire.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Personally, I did not see too much wrong with the article....the truth hurts. I'm not a republican but I'm starting to think that it may be about time to vote repub locally b/c the dems....Smurphy, the kid ect have not really showed me anything yet (I did like Oconnor) The article did not address young native professionals (blacks in particuliar) are leaving in masse. Another point, more people die here here than are born here b/c allegheny county has the second oldest population in the country (behind Dade County Fl)

Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Eh, let it all burn. I never cared much for Oakland or Bloomfield anyway. Let the lefties burn their neighborhood to the ground if they want. I'm sure Mayor Luke is in some bunker crying because so many of his $1,000 trash cans have been set on fire.
Typical partisan nonsense, as if any neighborhood is made up entirely of one stupid political persuasion. As if it isn't all OUR city.

You are a mental giant.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:05 AM

371 posts, read 798,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
This is a boilerplate litany of complaints that has been accumulating in certain ideological and political circles for a long time. The thing is that it resonated a little bit better back when most people were convinced Pittsburgh was still in rapid decline, and now that Pittsburgh seems to be doing well it is becoming less compelling as a general thesis (not that all the individual criticisms lack merit, but the idea that the city is generally being led down a very bad path doesn't seem accurate).
Huh? Underfunded pensions? Shifting funds from capital budgets to operating budgets for a one time shot in the arm (read todays P-G editorial page)? Reducing the size of government (does anyone truly believe that there were 10,000 people employed in city and county government who did nothing for all those years?).

The references that you posted a few weeks back makes it pretty clear that we're hardly out of the woods, yet. And Steigerwald is right about one thing, namely, that we keep making the same mistakes over again because we don't pay attention to our past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh