Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

Okay. Someone said we should pay attention to the judicial elections. I suspect that someone was a lawyer.

I know we have quite a few lawyers who participate here, and I'd like to hear your opinions on the local and supreme court runners.

Afterall, you deal with them on a regular basis.

You're anonymous here. Nobody's going to hold it against you.

Include reasons---even if it's "he's a friend."

Be honest. I know you can do it!

Let your opinions rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
How does everyone decide judges, in general? I've been seeing all the ads, and every single one of them is "no-nonsense, tough on crime, keeping our streets and families safe." Well, thank jeebus for that, but how are civilians supposed to tell the difference?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 AM

That's why I started the thread! I figured our lawyers would know best since they deal with these people.

And the ads arent' the same. There's a negative ad campaign against Joan Orie Melvin who is running for supreme court.

I don't usually fall for negative campaigns, but I'd like to know if there is any truth behind the accussations.

In a previous thread earlier this month, someone said we needed to pay attention to the judicial elections---since many judges get re-elected when they shouldn't be.

I'd like to know who that city-data member feels that way about.

It's sad nobody has bothered to post in this thread. I guess nobody cares.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM

145 posts, read 283,620 times
While I do not wish to comment on any judges in particular, check out the Judicial Excellence Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association's website, titled Judicial Vote 2009, here:

Judicial Vote 2009 - Judicial Excellence Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association

The site provides an abundance of useful information. Note: I am not a member of the ACBA, nor do I have any involvement with the linked site or candidates

Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why I started the thread! I figured our lawyers would know best since they deal with these people.

And the ads arent' the same. There's a negative ad campaign against Joan Orie Melvin who is running for supreme court.

I don't usually fall for negative campaigns, but I'd like to know if there is any truth behind the accussations.

In a previous thread earlier this month, someone said we needed to pay attention to the judicial elections---since many judges get re-elected when they shouldn't be.

I'd like to know who that city-data member feels that way about.

It's sad nobody has bothered to post in this thread. I guess nobody cares.
I care, but I have no expertise in the area or knowledge of any of the candidates. I'd like to hear some controversial rulings they've done in the past and thing slike that.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Based on the disclaimer in onepoint's post, I have a feeling that it's illegal for lawyers to support one judicial candidate over another.

At the very least, it's bad business to even give the appearance of it.

I figured since this was an annonymous forum, it would be okay for them to discuss it---if it's not illegal.

However, I guess there is the fear that someone will get a court order for IP addresses to sue for slander and then the anonymity would be lost.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
While I do not wish to comment on any judges in particular, check out the Judicial Excellence Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association's website, titled Judicial Vote 2009, here:

Judicial Vote 2009 - Judicial Excellence Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association

The site provides an abundance of useful information. Note: I am not a member of the ACBA, nor do I have any involvement with the linked site or candidates
Thanks. It's helpful to see who isn't considered qualified, but I'd love more information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I care, but I have no expertise in the area or knowledge of any of the candidates. I'd like to hear some controversial rulings they've done in the past and thing slike that.
Me too! I've love to get a feel for if they are liberal or conservative in their interpretation of the constitution, etc.

Maybe the lawyers here wouldn't be timid to discuss an actual case if we can find one to discuss.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 AM

My concern about that link is that it is just one side of things, it is still from a political action committee, why should I trust it?

Last edited by ferraris; 10-30-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
My concern about that link is that it is just once side of things, it is still from a political action committee, why should I trust it?
True. I was only commenting on the one candidate that it says doesn't qualify whatsoever...

Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM

No worries, I wasn't responding directly to you. I looked at that site the last time it was posted and if I remember correctly it didn't explain how they came to their conclusions. If someone is totally unqualified it shouldn't take much convincing to explain why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh