Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM

11 posts, read 29,054 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

How's the housing market situation now in Pittsburgh? Do you have any recommendation whether we should over or underbid the asking price when we make an offer to buy a house? Of course, this is a general question since we don't even know which house we want to buy.

(we'll be house-hunting this weekend in/around Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze)

thanks!
-Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,431 times
In the PGH area in the current market, underbid. Have a buyer's agent working for you and they can steer you in the right direction but, they'll most likely say underbid and just tell you by how much. They can pull the comps. from the area and see how long any house you are interested in has been on the market and how long the comps. sat on the market. Each situation is different though. Personally, I'd start off offering 7.5-10% below asking price if the house has been on the market any appreciable time and hasn't had a recent price drop. Otherwise, if it is a new listing or had a recent price drop, etc., I'd probably go in 5-7.5% less than asking.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Don't overbid unless you think there is an actual bidding war going on. That can happen, but it isn't the norm here.

As for underbidding--it also isn't the norm here to overprice the listing by a certain fixed percentage or amount, but I think you are usually safe if you are only underbidding something like 5% or so. If you really think it is overpriced more than that, you can bid lower and make your case, but there is some risk of just getting a flat "no" at that point.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,838 times
Underbid for sure. The worst that happens in they say no or make a counter offer. Even if they say no, you can always offer another bid... if someone refuses to sell to you because they are so insulted by your first offer, its probably not someone you want to work with anyway so screw em... you'll be able to find another property to buy.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
its probably not someone you want to work with anyway so screw em... you'll be able to find another property to buy.
That sounds like a tip for salary negotiation, not home buying. Sure, you may not want to deal with them; but you might want to live in their house!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
A little good faith on both sides is desirable. The buyer wants to be confident the disclosures are complete and so forth, and the seller wants to make sure the buyer isn't going to flake, fail to get financing, and so forth. A buyer who bids something completely unreasonable doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

The other problem is that if you start way too low and they just say "no", then if you come back in a second round with a more reasonable bid, you are actually in a weaker position than if you had just started with the more reasonable bid in the first place.

So on the buying side, I wouldn't mechanically bid lower by a certain amount. Instead I would make a good faith effort to come up with a reasonable range, then offer something on the lower side of that range.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,816 times
I would agree with the underbid strategy but would underbid less in a neighborhood like Shadyside or Squirrel Hill since these are desirable neighborhoods that have held their value pretty well. I purchased a house in Squirrel Hill a few years back (in the midst of the nationwide housing collapse) and found that sellers were less likely to accept a significantly low bid than elsewhere in the city.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Do some research and see what the house last sold for. It's possible that the owner might take a much lower price just to move on. My best advice is to always look at vacant homes, someone is paying two mortgages and looking to sell ASAP.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
OP, are you not working with a realtor? Mine was invaluable in answering questions like this.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,838 times
I didn't mean to suggest making unreasonable offers. Decide what you think the house is worth, then offer a bit less. The person selling the house most likely decided what the house is worth and is asking a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh