Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 42,351 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me what are my rights as a tenant in my single family home, as far as showings go? I am only finding laws in California. My landlord seems to have a very pushy agent. I have made it clear what times work best for me. However She tries to make me feel guilty when I say those times don't work. How many showing is reasonable in a week? Can I just outright refuse these showings? we have 2 months left on the lease.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The owner has right of entry pretty much whenever they want within reasonable hours and they are not obligated to accommodate your schedule. If you've tried to reason with them and they don't feel like being accommodating, unfortunately your only realistic option at that point is to suck it up.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Generally, your rights will be spelled out in the lease that you have signed. Recheck your lease.... In the leases that I use, I specify a 24 hour notice before a showing. If I sell the property, the lease specifies that the lease will be honored by a future owner through conclusion.

On a side note, most landlords will want to be very considerate in scheduling for showings with the tenant. No landlord/seller will want to agitate the tenant when a property is for sale/for rent. It may be passive aggressive, but what will be the tenant's motivation to make the unit "showable" when the landlord/realtor lacks the consideration of infringing upon the tenant's life? That dirty laundry dispersed throughout the house, the unkempt living areas, unflushed toilets, dirty dishes around the home.... will definitely not help in the sale, and most landlords should appreciate it when you are considerate of their desires to sell. Maybe your landlord might need to be gently reminded how challenging it is for you to keep his house prepped to sell at his best times, not yours.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,781 times
The generally accepted practice is to give 24 hours notice for a showing. When I list a rental property, I talk to the tenant and find out what hours work best for him. The more cooperative a tenant is - the sooner we can get the property under agreement and then the showings stop.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
The agent's job is to sell the property, not accomodate your schedule. Look at it from your landlords perspective, she/he has a lot of financial risk here versus your temporary inconveince. Unless your lease spells out something specific, you don't really have any rights. General practice is to show the proprety to everyone interested and to give you 24 hours notice before doing so. Realize a lot of people seeing the property may be from out of town and can't just come whenever it is best for you. If you have some extraordinary circumstances (hypothetically say a birthday party for your daughter) they should be willing to work with you.

As long as the agent isn't being ridicoulous like showing the property at 11pm and showing up unannounced, you should really just suck it up and deal.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The owner has right of entry pretty much whenever they want within reasonable hours and they are not obligated to accommodate your schedule. If you've tried to reason with them and they don't feel like being accommodating, unfortunately your only realistic option at that point is to suck it up.
You are wrong.---Tenant Rights

Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
You are wrong.---Tenant Rights
I didn't see anything in there that contradicts what I said. Perhaps you could be more specific?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM

14 posts, read 42,351 times
Its funny you say birthday parties etc.. I have a party for my son at 11am, and the agent is insisting on bringing in people at 10:30. My landlords response you have 24 hr notice, therefore deal.What an Ass!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I didn't see anything in there that contradicts what I said. Perhaps you could be more specific?
The landlord must give at least 24 hrs notice before entering your home. He cannot enter your home at will, unless it's an emergency.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,548 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower1160 View Post
Its funny you say birthday parties etc.. I have a party for my son at 11am, and the agent is insisting on bringing in people at 10:30. My landlords response you have 24 hr notice, therefore deal.What an Ass!
If it were me, I'd go on as normal and get ready for the party and tell the Agent that you can make no guarantees of how the place will look or how accommodating you can be when they are there. I'd totally ignore them while they were there and before they made their way through, tell the agent the party starts promptly at 11 am and you expect them to be out of the house by 10:50am. 20 min. should be plenty of time to look at the interior (for a first look) and they can look outside after that.

Most people know within the first 5 min. if it is a place they will be interested in and they won't be doing a detailed inspection at this point anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: