Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,725,533 times

Advertisements

We often see folks bring up a myriad of problems relating to commuting in Pittsburgh: heavy traffic, increasingly high commuting costs, road rage/stress from being on the road, problems with PAT, and the creation of pollution. However, what seems to not be part of the conversation would be a simple solution to rid the city of a lot of these problems: promote telecommuting as a the norm.

Company after company I have encountered in Pittsburgh takes an archaic approach to telecommuting. Most ban or severely limit it on principal because they are either technophobic or have a mistrust of their own employees. This attitude should cease in a city that pretends it's some sort of Rust Belt Silicon Valley as it is reflective of our still present blue collar mentality. There are thousands of office workers all over the metro than can do their entire jobs remotely but are not allowed to.

Of course not everyone can telecommute depending on what their jobs are. However, I think if that there was a push to make telecommuting more commonplace in Pittsburgh it would solve so many problems that directly impact quality of life in the city. Not only that, it would provide several positive benefits to both employers and employees.

So what do you think? Why isn't telecommuting as the norm part of the conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

22,629 posts, read 47,766,032 times
It is a big part of many start-ups/small operations in the city.

I know a gal who lives in CA and works for a Pgh company.
My son is the opposite - lives in Pgh but works for a company in NY.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,008 times
I am telecommuting right now. My company, which is headquartered in CT, moved the majority of our staff from downtown to Greentree to save money. As a professional, I felt I had my identity stripped. I went from a view of PNC Park, tons of food and coffee options, and dressing up and being around other educated professionals to working in a grimy dungeon, no windows office with a crap cafeteria in bombed out Foster Plaza. I was so down so my GF told me I need to work at home for my sanity. My company has literally zero issues with this, but I hate not being around others during the day and not leaving my house often enough. I've worked from home on occasion before, but this is my first week trying telecommuting for the entire week.

That said, I have friends in my profession that work for Pittsburgh-headquartered companies, and they wouldn't dream of working from home, even if they had no reason to be in the office on a given day. It is either completely forbidden or strongly culturally frowned upon. These same companies seem to pursue compensation strategies that vastly underpay for young talent and seemingly overpay for "loyalty" or years of service instead of performance or contribution.

I think my company pursues a telecommute strategy to keep people happy but also to reduce real estate costs. I'm not sure why Pittsburgh companies don't do the same, but I am glad they don't. It keeps the commercial real estate market tight and tax revenues up for office buildings. The last thing we need is locally based companies contributing less to the tax base and putting more of the infrastructure burden on residents with enough income to pay their share.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,610,010 times
I don't actually find my commute very stressful, but I can work from home on some occasions. I don't know if I'd be allowed to go into full-on telecommuting. I also don't know that I'd want to because I don't want to give up house space for a dedicated home office and I like being able to leave the work behind in a different building when I end the day.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,097,442 times
Honest question, how does workers' compensation work for companies that allow telecommuting? That is the issue that I have always heard preventing a telecommuting policy where I work.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,678,192 times
I have remote access to my work computer and can occasionally work from home. My boss is really great about allowing that when needed. My job, however, requires a good deal of physical paper, access to records that cannot be kept electronically, and I need sign stuff, so I can't regularly telecommute.

Personally, I would have a hard time compartmentalizing home and work and would not want to do it all the time. I would either end up working all the time (most likely since I tend work long hours anyway and currently have the excuse that the dog can only hold it so long so I have to go home before 7:00...) or I would get too distracted by things needing to be done at the house to be productive enough. I'm sometimes a little ADHD and easily distracted by shiny objects. Having work at a work setting and home at a home setting makes that easier to deal with.

Anyway, my company takes a department by department, job by job view of it. It just unfortunately is not a viable option for many given the type of work.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,610,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Honest question, how does workers' compensation work for companies that allow telecommuting? That is the issue that I have always heard preventing a telecommuting policy where I work.
That's why coal miners can't telecommute.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
My workplace is fairly flexible--some people work 7 to 3, some work 10 to 6, etc. Working from home is allowed on a limited basis, mostly because this is a workplace. We have meetings and people who do customer service-type jobs and sometimes it would be hard to get work done if you never know where your colleagues are. I also agree with the leaving work at work principle. I don't want to be expected to answer work calls/emails at home, on the weekends, at night, etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's why coal miners can't telecommute.
I've tried digging holes in my backyard, but that proved unsatisfactory...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
I know many people who telecommute for Pittsburgh and out of state companies. The happiest are the ones who have a brick and mortar office in the same city with the flexibility to work at home whenever they want. It's very isolating to work from home constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh