Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,138 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised the number of posters flat out denying this article, there was an earlier WSJ article which has more figures. Just because everyone "you know" is out of work doesn't mean that other people aren't finding opportunities out there. The unemployment situation varies greatly by region and industry.

More Workers Are Considering Quitting Their Jobs - WSJ.com

There are many, many people who are not only employed, but are being sought out by headhunters for other positions in different companies. Top talent simply has more opportunities, and while that may feel like a slap in the face to the millions who are unemployed, it's just the way it is (and always has been).

I know people that are out of work because their skills are out of date, or just too common/redundant, or the demand for their position is very low now (often these changes are out of their control, sadly). I know people who refuse to learn new skills, or start at the bottom in another industry, and instead live off unemployment and their dwindling savings and hope that their old jobs miraculously return. I think that is a big mistake. A lot of the jobs lost over the last year or 2 are jobs that are simply never coming back (manufacturing and redundant middle-management in particular).

I also know folks that are fielding new offers every week because their skills are unique and at a high level that companies need. People who have more specialized skill sets that are harder to find even with millions out of work.

There are also folks like myself who found some opportunities in the downturn and are trying their hand at being entrepreneurial. I'm blessed that my wife has a job that provides benefits or I wouldn't have this opportunity. Thankfully my business has been excellent and I'm glad I took the risk. I understand I am fortunate in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm surprised the number of posters flat out denying this article, there was an earlier WSJ article which has more figures. Just because everyone "you know" is out of work doesn't mean that other people aren't finding opportunities out there.
That's because the reality doesn't fit their political agenda so they simply invent a NEW reality they like better. Same thing the church did denying the earth rotated around the sun rather than the other way around. It supid, but that doesn't stop some folks from doing it anyway.

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Now Ken..that number was a bit bolstered by the aircraft orders.
That was almost a 300% change over 2009.

The bulk of the rise was due to petroleum and chemical products.
The other increased numbers were very anemic.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's because the reality doesn't fit their political agenda so they simply invent a NEW reality they like better. Same thing the church did denying the earth rotated around the sun rather than the other way around. It supid, but that doesn't stop some folks from doing it anyway.

Ken
You are quite a funny character, as in posting a WSJ article which is obviously another MSM full of sh... source. You had the nerve to claim I was drinking? Keep drinking the kool aid because you do not have a clue. I would agree it is
"supid" to believe your banker owned media sources. Here is the true reality since you are definitely delusional.

25 Questions To Ask Anyone Who Is Delusional Enough To Believe That This Economic Recovery Is Real

Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are quite a funny character, as in posting a WSJ article which is obviously another MSM full of sh... source. You had the nerve to claim I was drinking? Keep drinking the kool aid because you do not have a clue. I would agree it is
"supid" to believe your banker owned media sources. Here is the true reality since you are definitely delusional.

25 Questions To Ask Anyone Who Is Delusional Enough To Believe That This Economic Recovery Is Real
I'm wondering how you have the nerve to tell Ken to keep drinking kool aid when your status says, "Fight the New World Order."

Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I'm wondering how you have the nerve to tell Ken to keep drinking kool aid when your status says, "Fight the New World Order."
Hey, what do you expect from a "Las Vegas Drunk".

LOL

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Give me a freaking break. AP is also a MSM source. The economy is NOT improving, in fact it is getting worse. The only reason the economy seems to be improving is because the MSM has people believing it is. Therefore, they are no longer hoarding their money and spending it instead. As I live in Las Vegas, I see it happening here as tourism has been increasing. The fact of the matter is our production base has been destroyed. Banks also are unwilling to lend for small business. There cannot possibly be a real recovery under these conditions. The recovery you are seeing is basically service based, since as I said, people are no longer hoarding their money. This so called recovery will end, and soon I might add.
Funny, people still want new houses there. I guess someone is lending and someone (lots of someones it looks like) is spending.
But of course, this entire article could just be nothing but lies coming from the MSM and all...

After Housing Bust, Builders Dust Off the Boom Machine - NYTimes.com

Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now Ken..that number was a bit bolstered by the aircraft orders.
That was almost a 300% change over 2009.

The bulk of the rise was due to petroleum and chemical products.
The other increased numbers were very anemic.
So AIRCRAFT ORDERS are not FACTORY ORDERS?
Last I heard, aircraft are produced in factories - and in fact commerical aircraft are one of America's TOP EXPORTS. In 2007 commercial aircraft was #2 (2nd only to semiconductors in regards to US exports). In 2008 aircraft orders were #1 (with semiconductors #2). In 2009 commerical aircraft was AGAIN #1 (with medicines #2 and semiconductors #3).

http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/top-us-imports--exports-2009 (broken link)
http://import-export.suite101.com/article.cfm/americas_top_imports_exports_2008 (broken link)
http://import-export.suite101.com/ar...xports_in_2007

So petroleum and chemical products are not produced in factories?
Those products are produced in factories TOO.

Seems to me that CISCO is VERY HAPPY with their factory orders. Same is true for Caterpillar. BOTH of which have ALREADY boosted their hiring. Look at car orders, they are up AS WELL.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 06-09-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah RIGHT.
The REAL truth.
LOL

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,844 times
OP probably works for Obama as a full time spin doctor. You sound just like Robert Gibbs, please enough of the lies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies