Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM

571 posts, read 944,055 times

Advertisements

from DailyTech - Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

Quote:

"It's smash and grab, no different than a guy walking down Fifth Avenue and smashing the window at Tiffany's and reaching in and grabbing what's in the window." -- U.S. VP Joe Biden

After countless lobbyist dollars from the music and film industry and a brief "public review", the administration rolled out its vision to fight piracy yesterday afternoon. U.S. Vice President Joe Biden -- whose blunt speech has sometime left him in trouble -- did not mince words.

[MOD CUT/copyright]
So, who here will be one of the 5,000 or some people left out of jail in America if this becomes law?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-23-2010 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
Darn. I was hoping he was cracking down on something vitally important to this nation. Better luck next time I suppose.

I'm a proponent of multi-tasking, but is it too much to ask the President to multi-task on items that actually matter to American's right now?

Piracy is bad, but it simply does not rise to the occasion "must do right now" in my view. In other words, the Lobby That Obama Loves To Hate - he no longer hates.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
It will never happen. The RIAA is powerless and everyone knows it, even them. People are just to lazy to come up with new business models for now and the future, it was too easy to rake in the dough under the old method so they want to figure out a way to keep it going. Not. Going. To. Happen. The only way to crack down on piracy is to turn back the clock and not invent the internet.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,870,094 times
I am stunned... I read the Daily Tech every now and then and I am not sure what to say... I am amazed that Obama is pushing for this... I guess the era of Big Government and Big Business has NOT change one bit... I was under the delusion that Obama was going to be for the people instead of Big Business... I am going to have to change my status again... it used to say "Go Obama"... I have to find something else to say...

Last edited by evilnewbie; 06-23-2010 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Monitor and assist..did you see that part ? Net neutrality ? Oh really ?

Government - internet- monitor-assist .
And no data to back up their heightened need to regulate and oversee that part of the internet.

Sorry folks..I ain't drinking that glass of koolaid. There are laws in place today that let industries go after those that commit piracy. We don't need Joe Biden creating a new agency to "monitor" parts of the internet.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It will never happen. The RIAA is powerless and everyone knows it, even them. People are just to lazy to come up with new business models for now and the future, it was too easy to rake in the dough under the old method so they want to figure out a way to keep it going. Not. Going. To. Happen. The only way to crack down on piracy is to turn back the clock and not invent the internet.
I agree. The technology cat is already out of the bag. I was a pirate myself for years and I got gobs of free songs off EDonkey but I did not steal them because I did not want to pay the dollar. I did it because I do not want DRM on my downloads. Once they removed it, I pay now.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,270,647 times
Quote:
I am stunned... I ready the Daily Tech every now and then and I am not sure what to say... I am amazed that Obama is pushing for this... I guess the era of Big Government and Big Business has NOT change one bit... I was under the delusion that Obama was going to be for the people instead of Big Business... I am going to have to change my status again... it used to say "Go Obama"... I have to find something else to say...
Cool Story Bro

Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,679 times
They want to make it illegal to copy DVD's or CD's you already own lol.
I think thats technically illegal already...INSANE!
Ever make an extra copy of a kids dvd so your kids dont scratch the original...
Or create a mix cd?Illegal lol

Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,686,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Darn. I was hoping he was cracking down on something vitally important to this nation. Better luck next time I suppose.

I'm a proponent of multi-tasking, but is it too much to ask the President to multi-task on items that actually matter to American's right now?

Piracy is bad, but it simply does not rise to the occasion "must do right now" in my view. In other words, the Lobby That Obama Loves To Hate - he no longer hates.

I agree. I thought he was firing his cabinet.

Remind me again........................... what does this have to do with our economy?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
To those who are against cracking down on piracy: Do you think that all creative works should be made available to everyone free of charge? I don't, and I find it very disappointing that so many people (especially younger people) think that all entertainment should be free. If you value your entertainment, you should be willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies