Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times

Advertisements

Nancy Pelosi: Without Jobs Bill 'We Could Slip Back And Have Another Recession'

"The current lapse in extended benefits is unprecedented: Data compiled by the National Employment Law Project show that since 1959, the government has never allowed extended unemployment benefits to expire when the national unemployment rate is still above 7.2 percent. The current rate stands at 9.7 percent."

"My perspective on this is that in early 2008 President Bush and the Democratic Congress legislated a stimulus when the unemployment rate was 5 percent," said Larry Mishel, president of the progressive Economic Policy Institute. "Now we're near 10 percent unemployment and people are doing nothing. The criteria for what is a problem has been skewed."

This is what happens when Republicans play politics with peoples' lives and just vote no on everything. Real Americans suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

"The current lapse in extended benefits is unprecedented: Data compiled by the National Employment Law Project show that since 1959, the government has never allowed extended unemployment benefits to expire when the national unemployment rate is still above 7.2 percent. The current rate stands at 9.7 percent."

"My perspective on this is that in early 2008 President Bush and the Democratic Congress legislated a stimulus when the unemployment rate was 5 percent," said Larry Mishel, president of the progressive Economic Policy Institute. "Now we're near 10 percent unemployment and people are doing nothing. The criteria for what is a problem has been skewed."

This is what happens when Republicans play politics with peoples' lives and just vote no on everything. Real Americans suffer.
Real Americans will take any job available and not be complacent about an employment check.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:

That is Pelosi talk and not so true, either. The Democrats have such huge majorities in both houses of Congress that if they all voted with their leadership they could pass anything they want to pass. It is so obvious that they just can't get the numbers needed from their own party that they have to blame the Republicans for their problem. Did they manage to pass Obamacare in spite of no Republican votes and a majority of people against it? Sure enough they did but the don't seem to get anything else done. Why is that? They passed Obamacare withut Republicans so surely they can do other things without them.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
In fairness, depending on where you live, there a not many job openings at all. When there are, there can be hundreds of applicants. What happens then? No benefits. No jobs. Seems people are scr*wed.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
In fairness, depending on where you live, there a not many job openings at all. When there are, there can be hundreds of applicants. What happens then? No benefits. No jobs. Seems people are scr*wed.
But is it Republicans won't vote with the Dems to spend more money that are doing the screwing? I don't see how that can be with the huge majorities the Dems have in both houses of Congress.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But is it Republicans won't vote with the Dems to spend more money that are doing the screwing? I don't see how that can be with the huge majorities the Dems have in both houses of Congress.
You read the article like I did. Congress is doing the screwing. They knew a long time ago this bill would come up and did anyone on either side bother to try and find a solution? No because they are playing their partisan games again. And by the way, they are still getting paid.

I don't like the idea of the deficit getting worse. I think some people on unemployment will take advantage of it and not try and find work. But I also know that there are not enough jobs out there for all those on unemployment. I think the whole situation stinks.

I live in North Carolina. Our unemployment rate is higher than the national average. Please believe me that there are very few job openings here. It's just not a black and white issue. There are a lot of gray areas.

The last resort for many people will be welfare and food stamps. In the end, the money is still going to be spent.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
It's all relevant really. Enacting this bill would add far less to the deficit than extending the Bush tax cuts, which the Republicans were for.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
It's all relevant really. Enacting this bill would add far less to the deficit than extending the Bush tax cuts, which the Republicans were for.
True. But it's an election year and everyone wants to go home and say they didn't add to the deficit. At least this one time anyway.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:19 AM

814 posts, read 670,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
You read the article like I did. Congress is doing the screwing. They knew a long time ago this bill would come up and did anyone on either side bother to try and find a solution? No because they are playing their partisan games again. And by the way, they are still getting paid.

I don't like the idea of the deficit getting worse. I think some people on unemployment will take advantage of it and not try and find work. But I also know that there are not enough jobs out there for all those on unemployment. I think the whole situation stinks.

I live in North Carolina. Our unemployment rate is higher than the national average. Please believe me that there are very few job openings here. It's just not a black and white issue. There are a lot of gray areas.

The last resort for many people will be welfare and food stamps. In the end, the money is still going to be spent.
Many Republican's would rather watch people die in the wars and streets than give up emergency aid to the middle class. This speaks volumes about their party. To top that off the heartless GOP senators are playing a chess game in DC to save their own careers and because Obama put healthcare through. This is painfully obvious to even the people that don't follow politics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies