Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Best government money can buy.
The government employs all these folks to check the paperwork and yet this happens ?
If this were a private company..they'd be out of business.

Home Buyer Tax Credit: Fraud, Errors Persist - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20100625/ts_usnews/homebuyertaxcreditfrauderrorspersist - broken link)

Some snippets:

Roughly 14,100 Americans have received erroneous credits--totalling more than $26.7 million--through the program,

The program came under fire last fall when an earlier inspector general's report flagged more than $600 million in questionable claims and found that at least one 4 year old had obtained the credit.

"The good news is that the IRS has made significant strides resolving problems associated with this program," George said. "For example, no minors received the credit, according to our report."

The inspector general estimates that at least 1,295 prisoners fraudulently obtained more than $9.1 million in credits on their 2008 tax returns.
The report also found that 10,282 taxpayers obtained credits for purchasing the same homes that other taxpayers were using to claim the credit themselves.

In addition, the inspector general flagged 2,555 taxpayers--who received $17.6 million in credits altogether--based on home purchases that occurred before the program had launched.

Finally, the inspector general identified some 34 IRS employees who claimed the credit even though it's possible that they have owned a home within the past three years, which would make them ineligible for the full $8,000. In last fall's report, the inspector general identified an additional 53 agency employees who may have obtained the credit erroneously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Best government money can buy.
The government employs all these folks to check the paperwork and yet this happens ?
If this were a private company..they'd be out of business.

Home Buyer Tax Credit: Fraud, Errors Persist - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/20100625/ts_usnews/homebuyertaxcreditfrauderrorspersist - broken link)

Some snippets:

Roughly 14,100 Americans have received erroneous credits--totalling more than $26.7 million--through the program,

The program came under fire last fall when an earlier inspector general's report flagged more than $600 million in questionable claims and found that at least one 4 year old had obtained the credit.

"The good news is that the IRS has made significant strides resolving problems associated with this program," George said. "For example, no minors received the credit, according to our report."

The inspector general estimates that at least 1,295 prisoners fraudulently obtained more than $9.1 million in credits on their 2008 tax returns.
The report also found that 10,282 taxpayers obtained credits for purchasing the same homes that other taxpayers were using to claim the credit themselves.

In addition, the inspector general flagged 2,555 taxpayers--who received $17.6 million in credits altogether--based on home purchases that occurred before the program had launched.

Finally, the inspector general identified some 34 IRS employees who claimed the credit even though it's possible that they have owned a home within the past three years, which would make them ineligible for the full $8,000. In last fall's report, the inspector general identified an additional 53 agency employees who may have obtained the credit erroneously.
Sounds like classic IRS FUBAR to me.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Sounds like classic IRS FUBAR to me.
How so?

Seems to me that instead of blaming the IRS for not catching the crooks, you might want to assign responsibility to the crooks themselves; you know, all those fine upstanding American citizens who saw an opportunity to steal some money, and went for it.

But I guess honesty is an old-fashioned, out-of-date trait.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
How so?

Seems to me that instead of blaming the IRS for not catching the crooks, you might want to assign responsibility to the crooks themselves; you know, all those fine upstanding American citizens who saw an opportunity to steal some money, and went for it.

But I guess honesty is an old-fashioned, out-of-date trait.

Nopers, didn't say anything like that. I said "sounds like a classic IRS FUBAR", and that's exactly what I meant.

I say the crooks should spend some quality time with Bubba in an 8X8 cell.

Clear, now?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Having bought a home last year, I filed for the tax credit. It took five months and repeated submission of forms and paperwork. I am surprised so many were able to fraudulently recieve the funds because there was so much proof of eligability required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies