Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
I agree. If there is a demand for the job, it is legitimate, whether it's white collar or blue collar work. We need people to crunch numbers and drive trucks. There's people on both sides who complain. I work in construction, and I've seen my co-workers complain about "lazy office people who do nothing." I used to work in an office, and it was way more stressful than my current job. It wasn't as physically challenging, but the stress took a worse toll on me. On the other hand, I've heard white collar guys tell me that all I do at work is smoke and take coffee breaks, which is nowhere near the truth. (I don't even smoke at all). I have respect for anyone who works hard at their job, whatever it is.
I respect people with jobs like yours. People with jobs in construction, on oil rigs,in mines, and in factories! These jobs take a toll on you physically and can emotionally. They are also risky. I respect people like you however I do not respect or feel sorry for people that work at fast food restaurants or stores etc, who complain nonstop. People with careers complain too but they have a reason as it is a lot more stressful than those 9 to 5 jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I think a lot of people don't go because they don't want to or cannot afford to. Plenty of people skip college and make a good living in various fields. I know people who make six figures who skipped college. I know people with master's degrees who are living hand to mouth. A college degree is not a guarantee of career or financial success, just like the lack of one does not condemn you to a life of McJobs and poverty.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
I think people who choose not to go to college are mostly ignorant and lazy, when I was getting my undergrad, so many of my fellow students were people who had just moved to this country, still going through the cultural shock, some struggled with the English language yet, they worked hard and never gave up. Yet, I hear some American born idiots say things like "college is not for me" or "I can't afford it". Our country is full of pathetic losers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think a lot of people don't go because they don't want to or cannot afford to. Plenty of people skip college and make a good living in various fields. I know people who make six figures who skipped college. I know people with master's degrees who are living hand to mouth. A college degree is not a guarantee of career or financial success, just like the lack of one does not condemn you to a life of McJobs and poverty.
No one seems to understand, it's the complaining! There is financial aid for people who can't afford it so that's not an excuse!

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think a lot of people don't go because they don't want to or cannot afford to.
Would you agree than that an appropriate use of government (tax payer) funds is to defray college costs through Guaranteed Student Loan programs and grants? I would!

Where do we find the money? Easy! Military cutbacks. It seems that funding citizens becoming more educated are an investment...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I think people who choose not to go to college are mostly ignorant and lazy, when I was getting my undergrad, so many of my fellow students were people who had just moved to this country, still going through the cultural shock, some struggled with the English language yet, they worked hard and never gave up. Yet, I hear some American born idiots say things like "college is not for me" or "I can't afford it". Our country is full of pathetic losers.
I agree with this 100 percent. It's pretty pathetic when people who skipped college make up excuses. I think it's nothing but laziness. They don't want to study, do homework, take tests, etc. People who barely speak english from other countries are in college and struggling with the American culture yet you don't hear one complaint out of them!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
"LUCKY"?????

I am not rich but, I do have all the money I will need for the rest of my life.

I worked my butt off to get it. Still do every day.
That poster didn't phrase it well, but is your career path a realistic choice for the average high school graduate?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I have respect for anyone who enjoys their work.

They are usually the most efficient workers.
Usually!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvaoG...eature=related

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
People who complain about their jobs or careers would complain no matter what they are doing. They ALWAYS work harder than other in their minds and they ALWAYS see the other guy as having it easy and making more money they they are worth.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
No one seems to understand, it's the complaining! There is financial aid for people who can't afford it so that's not an excuse!
A lot of times the terms are not agreeable and you would be surprised what you can't get. Also, the prospect of having student loan debt bigger than mom and dad's mortgage is very daunting to a lot of kids, especially since they KNOW that a college degree is no guarantee of a good job. A lot of them don't see it as a good bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Would you agree than that an appropriate use of government (tax payer) funds is to defray college costs through Guaranteed Student Loan programs and grants? I would!

Where do we find the money? Easy! Military cutbacks. It seems that investment in citizens becoming more educated are an investment...
Yes, I see it as a good investment. However I do not agree that we should freely hand out taxpayer funds for certain subjects. How many philosophy majors does the US need? We need engineers, scientists, teachers, nurses, etc. a lot more. People who complete a degree in those disciplines and agree to work in those fields, preferably in underserved areas for a period of time, should have their federal student debt written off. JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies