Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Islam is a religion, not a race. Why the reference to racism?
Because people like them cannot carry on a conversation, and instead they take the easy way out and declare everything they don't agree with "RACISM"... Or in the case of this person, they go with "RASICT", which means nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
If he didn't, he's in big trouble as there's a punishment in Islam for converting from Islam to Christianity.

If he did, admit that he's a Muslim we're in big trouble as democracry is the anthesis of Islam.

Either way there's trouble.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Even if he was a Muslim, I would not care.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Even if he was a Muslim, I would not care.
IF he is, and I'm not saying he is, you should care... For one simple reason and only for one reason. Because it would mean he lied. If you ever had a complaint about a Republican lying about anything, you would have to have a problem with this. I'm not even taking sides there. It's not about his religion, it's about honesty. And if he's been honest about this then it's a non-issue anyway.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai View Post
You seem to be confused between the Taliban and every single modern American-Muslim organization. In the same way, I could say that every Christian is apart of the Christian Identity movement.

Kill or convert.

Let's see.................... what other "religion" in the world promotes that message of tolerance and acceptance? What other religion seeks to enslave women as second class citizens? What other religion embraces
"honor killing"? What other nations ban other religions under the penalty of death? What other group values and practices "Shariah law" above the laws of thier nation?

I guess you need to re-read the Constitution. The tenets of Islam are in direct opposition to the tenets of freedom. If you cannot understand this, then perhaps you do not have a firm understanding of the principles of freedom and the beliefs upon which this nation was founded.

Islam embraces its own "laws" and does not follow or respect the secular laws of nations. Given that our nation is based on the rule of law (and it is not Shariah Law) there is a wee bit of a problem.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Kill or convert.

Let's see.................... what other "religion" in the world promotes that message of tolerance and acceptance? What other religion seeks to enslave women as second class citizens? What other religion embraces
"honor killing"? What other nations ban other religions under the penalty of death? What other group values and practices "Shariah law" above the laws of thier nation?

I guess you need to re-read the Constitution. The tenets of Islam are in direct opposition to the tenets of freedom. If you cannot understand this, then perhaps you do not have a firm understanding of the principles of freedom and the beliefs upon which this nation was founded.

Islam embraces its own "laws" and does not follow or respect the secular laws of nations. Given that our nation is based on the rule of law (and it is not Shariah Law) there is a wee bit of a problem.
Actually, you've just described a lot of what Christianity looked like several hundred years ago in Europe (and even here in the Americas).

It was a brutal, intolerant religion that has a legacy of literally millions of corpses left in its wake.

Muslim religion is simply where Christianity was in terms of social evolution several centuries ago. Give the Muslims a few more centuries and they'll mellow out just like the Christians mostly did.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM

24 posts, read 23,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Kill or convert.

Okay, once again. I am not somehow defending radical muslims, -- or those in favor of Shariah law. Hell, as a gay person, I would be executed under it. I'm also very Pro-Israel, if that somehow convinces you that I'm trying to forge a middle ground here? But your idea, and that of your friends, of talking about people with terms such as "The Muslim Problem" is scary, dehumanizing in the same way the Nazis dehumanized the Jews, and just as bad as those values which you are trying to put onto all Muslims.

Which brings me to my second point. The average Muslim does not support the radical positions of nations like Saudia Arabia or Iran. Indeed, from what we can take of the Green Protests in Iran recently, -- it would seem even the majority of people in those countries don't agree with the religious dogma their dictatorial leaders oppress onto them. And trying to compare some severely misguided Taliban member in Afghanistan to someone like Keith Ellison, -- member of the US House from Minnesota and a Muslim, is simply untrue and degrading.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:08 PM

24 posts, read 23,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Actually, you've just described a lot of what Christianity looked like several hundred years ago in Europe (and even here in the Americas).

It was a brutal, intolerant religion that has a legacy of literally millions of corpses left in its wake.

Muslim religion is simply where Christianity was in terms of social evolution several centuries ago. Give the Muslims a few more centuries and they'll mellow out just like the Christians mostly did.
This is also true, although I would argue that the majority of Western Muslims are already there.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
IF he is, and I'm not saying he is, you should care... For one simple reason and only for one reason. Because it would mean he lied. If you ever had a complaint about a Republican lying about anything, you would have to have a problem with this. I'm not even taking sides there. It's not about his religion, it's about honesty. And if he's been honest about this then it's a non-issue anyway.
Ok, I'll agree with you on this. He did portray himself as a Christian. I personally suspect that while he may have been raised with Muslim influences, he is probably mostly personally agnostic or deist, as many people and politicians these days are. But he has to play up the Christian thing to some extent for sufficient public voter appeal - as many politicians do.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Allah Akbar dude party on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies