Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually Sen. Byrd was the first to openly speak out against this administration's overreach of Executive Branch power. At least the man knew the rules of the Senate and held others to it. RIP.
That's because he just could not deal with a Black man having power. Sorry not "Black" a "Zebra" as George Jeferson used to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes he was. Anyone that was a high ranking member of the KKK is low class in my book.
I understand that many people do not change over their lives.
It's evident from CD.
However, many people do change over their lives.
Byrd, apparently is one of the latter.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Just another RACIST white guy biting the dust. Good riddance I say.
^^^ Hate speech comes in all colors and all forms. This is no less abhorrent than being a former member of the KKK, IMO.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, she won't get "hammered" because INTELLIGENT people who know Byrd's history will be saying much the same.

Now when are you REPUGS GOING TO QUIT PLAYING THE RACE CARD ?????

1. It's no worse than Lott said.
2. Who is a "repug"? Show a little class. You're no better than Thurmond or Byrd if you're just going to call names.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Byrd was the good ones. If you didn't know he was a registered Democrat, you'd think he was obviously a republican. He was an old democrat.

What was great about Byrd was that he carried the United States Constitution in his pocket and refer to it in meetings. He has called out on the ever-changing America, and many times, has successfully overturned bills that would degrade the scared Constitution. He has tried his hardest to keep America, America.

I know most of the posts in this thread are left-wing liberals and new democrats bashing on him for thinking Byrd was being an old guy stuck in the past and celebrating his death. Typical. Shame on you for speaking out of turn about a fallen senator in your own country.

He has kept West Virginia from falling into disrepair like California or Arizona. I am worried about W.Va's fate now that Byrd has passed on.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
He made some mistakes in the past (KKK), and present (remaining Democrat despite having little in common with today's dems), but overall I can't judge him too harshly. May he RIP.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
"I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." — Robert C. Byrd

And just so I'm clear, who are you, exactly, to not accept the sincere apology offered, and a lifetime spent in service, much of it to right the wrongs of his past? Are you G-d?
I'm someone that lives in a free country. As in - free to accept or not accept an apology. Death row inmates apologize all the time. They can't erase what happened. But the apology doesn't accomplish much more than try to relieve some of their own guilt.

And are you God? Do you know that he spent a lifetime of service to right his past wrongs? I'm thinking he was a power-hungry politician, who apologized to keep his seat.

Yes, we all make mistakes. But his wasn't a momentary lapse of judgement To live the KKK lifestyle, and make the racists comments that he did, speaks to his character.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
My he rip and his family find the strength to deal with their lose.
Thank you for saying something appropriate.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
Default Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
Wow. Years ago on ABC political forum, when Sen. Paul Wellstone died in a plane crash, the right leaning posters actually celebrated. Nearly 8 years later, apparently nothing has changed. Despite some conservative beliefs I have, posts like the one above demonstrate why I could never be a Republican.
That's the difference, the only way you get rid of the hipocrites is for them to die off! Say hello to teddy down there bobby..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
May peace be with him now.

"We will remember him for his fighter's spirit, his abiding faith, and for the many times he recalled the Senate to its purposes, . . . Generations of Americans will read the masterful history of the Senate he leaves behind, and they will also read about the remarkable life of Robert Carlyle Byrd." -- Senator Mitch McConnell

More than 50 years of service to West Virginia and this nation.

Over 18,000 roll call votes

A nearly 98% attendance record during his tenure.

We should all be so lucky to have such a dedicated Representative serving for us.
Thank you for recognizing the man's work ethic. Sadly, not too many can say the same thing today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies