Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

It is bad, when you want to give the family farm to the kids, but after you die, the kids have to sell the farm, to pay the tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Hey! Looking up Panama at Wikipedia to see what's new, "[Noriega] completed his [US] sentence for drug trafficking charges in September 2007. In August 2007, a U.S. federal court in Miami found Noriega extraditable to France, where he was convicted in absentia for money laundering. Noriega was extradited to France on April 26, 2010 and his trial started on June 28, 2010 in Paris."
OMG, this could bring down the Clintons!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I am glad that YOU (as emperor) are willing to "grant" such a gracious and altruistic benefit, your majesty.

1. The cost of land is so high in the US that it would be impossible for an individual to purchase a functional farm. A "small farm" is 1,000 acres ( a square mile is 644 acres I believe) and is barely profitable. Good farmland goes from between $3K and $4.5K.

2. Getting a $3-$4.5 million loan for farming is impossible, as the interest would bankrupt you.

3. Only corporations have the ability to purchase and farm newly purchased land anymore. A combine costs $350-$400K. A tractor costs $200K. Preventing the inheritance of farmland will prevent family farming.

4. Essentially ALL farmland in the US has been in place since 1900- there has been no new "sod busting". ALL the family farms have been inherited for three to four generations. This is the way it has always been. In the past, this has been considered to be a good thing. Now the liberals have declared war on the family farm. What do they want- collective farms?

Here is the data in Iowa for ownership of farms. You can see that the family farm is alive and well. Hopefully the family farm can survive Obama

Farm organization
Individuals/family, sole proprietorship (farms)
Percent of total 83.4

Family-held corporations
(farms)Percent of total

Partnerships (farms)
Percent of total 9.06.

Non-family corporations (farms)
Percent of total .4
The reason that farm land cost so much is because the government subsidies are built into the land price. You gotta figure that the land owner gets at least $1000 per acre each year from the government. And many of these people never go near the land they own. Many of them live in large cities.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most Mid Western grain farms are already owned by corporations and run by hired hands and professional managers. As far back as the Eisenhower administration the government advice to the American farmer was "get big or get out." AFAIK corporation ownership can be passed on without incurring any inheritance tax if done before the owners die.
That is true but anythng that passes over $15,000 per year is subjected to a gift tax.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The reason that farm land cost so much is because the government subsidies are built into the land price. You gotta figure that the land owner gets at least $1000 per acre each year from the government. And many of these people never go near the land they own. Many of them live in large cities.
Might want to check your BS dipstick.

Think you're about a quart over full.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
land everywhere is expensive

farm land more so than others...and close suburban tracts even higher.....a developer offered me 50k just for a 60x100 tract (1/6 acre)

Old 07-08-2010, 07:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
land everywhere is expensive

farm land more so than others...and close suburban tracts even higher.....a developer offered me 50k just for a 60x100 tract (1/6 acre)
Farm land is not as expensive as rugged, timbered land. Recreational land, and land that can be subdivided for homes bring the big bucks. Farm land where I live is the cheapest land arougd because it has been cleared and has very little multi-purpose possibilities.

Cleared farm land is around $3000 an acre, but some wooded land will bring well over twice that amount.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Farm land is not as expensive as rugged, timbered land. Recreational land, and land that can be subdivided for homes bring the big bucks. Farm land where I live is the cheapest land arougd because it has been cleared and has very little multi-purpose possibilities.

Cleared farm land is around $3000 an acre, but some wooded land will bring well over twice that amount.
ok. maybe farm land is cheaper...but land in general has gotten very expensive

Old 07-09-2010, 09:03 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
I used to know a few farmers when I was young. Don't you think it is a little dangerous having a 14 year old running machinery?
No. I drove a tractor when I was 7 or 8. All I had to do is keep it between bales of hay on each side and the tractor was moving VERY slowly. If I got off course someone would come and move the wheel to get it going straight again.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
$1000 per acre? My dad owned/farmed 80 acres for many years and he never got one cent from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies