Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Free market has always, and will always, find ways to circumvent legislation. This bill will be obsolete the day it is signed into law. New fees on financial instituations will be passed on to the customer, and new laws will be analyzed for maximum circumvention.

Think i'm wrong? Consider this: Every single taxpayer goes to great pains to figure out how to evade paying more taxes when its time to file taxes. Why? Because any money saved is a benefit to the household budget. Businesses do the same thing by shedding assets at tax time to minimize tax liability. These are examples of evading the system.

So why would anyone believe that a law that prevents an institution from making money in certain markets stop that institutution from finding ways to make up for that loss in revenue?
That is why banks should not be part of the free market. The banking sector should supply money without any speculating motives. So only commercial banks should be allowed.
I am pretty sure that the bill still leaves many opportunities for banks to screw us over. They should not be allowed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These people that support the bill need to tell me why unions are in the bill and what they have to do with financial reform..
You read all the 2000 pages already?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
So in short, no, no one can deny that this is yet another example of Republican Obstructionism? I'm guessing that in a second, what comes next is the argument that by voting against EVERYTHING that Obama supports, they are actually acting on behalf of the people. Because after Wall Street's Meltdown... the one thing the people DON'T want is reform on Wall Street.
The only argument I could understand would be, that some wanted stricter regulation. So was that the argument of the opposition?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
You read all the 2000 pages already?
No, but neither did anyone else here who is proclaiming that Republicans are obstructionists without knowing what it is they voted no to.. I know unions are discussed in the bill, so thats the part I skimmed to..

Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM

175 posts, read 113,285 times
Quote:
The only argument I could understand would be, that some wanted stricter regulation. So was that the argument of the opposition?
That was actually why Russ Feingold didn't throw support behind it...

...but he's a Democrat.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Right, thats what we all want.. stricter regulations to limit competition, causing less employment for american citizens and larger profits for those who have their hands in the cookie jar.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
No, but neither did anyone else here who is proclaiming that Republicans are obstructionists without knowing what it is they voted no to.. I know unions are discussed in the bill, so thats the part I skimmed to..
So, what does it say about unions? Enlighten us! And what were the reasons Republicans voted against it? You are being very vague.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM

175 posts, read 113,285 times
Quote:
LOL - the Republicans probably don't know what they voted no to - nor was it important to know. What was important was to keep that track record going of opposing EVERYTHING Obama does under the guise that the people don't want it. Like they did with Stimulus, like they did with Healthcare, like they did with the potential 2016 Olympics, like they did with [insert name of thing that benefits Americans here]

If Obama is for it, they're against it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Right, thats what we all want.. stricter regulations to limit competition, causing less employment for american citizens and larger profits for those who have their hands in the cookie jar.
How does regulation on the banking sector, NOT the goods market, limit competition? How does that lead to less employment for american citizens?
I think banks should only work as commercial banks with no speculation and risky behaviour. How does that hinder competition?
I am really curious to hear an answer from you.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damie View Post
That was actually why Russ Feingold didn't throw support behind it...

...but he's a Democrat.
Oh thats interesting. Might check him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies