Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

"But since that statement, interest rates have actually gone up, backfiring on a Fed chief who wants his quantitative easing to spark inflation of 2 percent annually. A moderate amount of inflation would be considered good for the economy. The problem is that inflation is already running well above a healthy level, investors said, Bernanke is just not looking in the right place, like a Walmart. 'I suspect that when the Chairman thinks about reflation he has a difficult time seeing any other asset besides real estate,' said Jim Iuorio of TJM Institutional Services. 'Somehow the Fed thinks that if its not ‘wage driven’ inflation that it is somehow unimportant. It’s not unimportant to people who see everything they own (homes) going down in value and everything they need (food and energy) going up in price.'”

News Headlines

I'm not an observant or regular shopper. Have you noticed price increases especially in food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
True inflation using the old calculations..not the government skewed ones.
A trip to the supermarket should shows that shadowstats is more in line than the government.
And yes..Bernake's plan of lowering long Treasuries is NOT working..rates on long Treasuries have gone up, not down.

Alternate Inflation Charts

Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
And food prices will go even higher in a few months because of what is happening in commodities today. Cotton is at an all time high..not this high since the Civil War folks.

The US has about 63 days of stockpiled grain...2 months. We sold it all off.

Yes, my food budget has gone up, even with me switching to store brands over national brands and cutting out pre-processed food. My food budget has gone up over 30% over the past year even with the switching and cutting out.

I follow this guy on ag commodities:
http://www.safehaven.com/article/188...-food-thoughts

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"But since that statement, interest rates have actually gone up, backfiring on a Fed chief who wants his quantitative easing to spark inflation of 2 percent annually. A moderate amount of inflation would be considered good for the economy. The problem is that inflation is already running well above a healthy level, investors said, Bernanke is just not looking in the right place, like a Walmart. 'I suspect that when the Chairman thinks about reflation he has a difficult time seeing any other asset besides real estate,' said Jim Iuorio of TJM Institutional Services. 'Somehow the Fed thinks that if its not ‘wage driven’ inflation that it is somehow unimportant. It’s not unimportant to people who see everything they own (homes) going down in value and everything they need (food and energy) going up in price.'”

News Headlines

I'm not an observant or regular shopper. Have you noticed price increases especially in food?
Of course the price of food has gone up, just about everything else has, too!

Have you noticed that a "half gallon" of ice cream is no longer a half gallon...they made them just a little bit smaller so buyers may not notice right away...price is higher though...

But that's just the USA...make a buck no matter how nasty or unethical or who you hurt....it's such a "christian" country....

Old 11-13-2010, 11:58 AM

952 posts, read 943,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Of course the price of food has gone up, just about everything else has, too!

Have you noticed that a "half gallon" of ice cream is no longer a half gallon...they made them just a little bit smaller so buyers may not notice right away...price is higher though...

But that's just the USA...make a buck no matter how nasty or unethical or who you hurt....it's such a "christian" country....

yeah...why do we have to pay for ice cream and things?

why can't they just give us stuff!

those nefarious U.S. Christians!

Buy any ice cream cone for the price of two

...and get the 2nd one absolutely free!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:

News Headlines

Hyper inflation is on the way. Unlike regular inflation, hyper inflation is caused by currency devaluation and only effects the price of commodities such as gasoline and food so you can have a vast amount of hyper inflation with little inflation because other prices may stay the same or even deflate. So lets say gasoline goes to $5 a gallon and bread to $5 a loaf BUT at the same time the prices on houses, clothes and cars fall. Since the Federal Government EXCLUDES the prices of food and energy from the inflation index, the rate of inflation might be zero even though you feel it at the store and gas pump.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Hyper inflation is on the way. Unlike regular inflation, hyper inflation is caused by currency devaluation and only effects the price of commodities such as gasoline and food so you can have a vast amount of hyper inflation with little inflation because other prices may stay the same or even deflate. So lets say gasoline goes to $5 a gallon and bread to $5 a loaf BUT at the same time the prices on houses, clothes and cars fall. Since the Federal Government EXCLUDES the prices of food and energy from the inflation index, the rate of inflation might be zero even though you feel it at the store and gas pump.
Why does the Fed Gov exclude the price of food and energy from the inflation index???

Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Have You Noticed Any Increase In The Price of Food or Goods?

Yes. Two to three weeks ago I noticed that some fo those things that I get each week now cost more... noticeably more.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
I have noticed that butter has gone up and just read an article stating that the price of turkey has sky rocketed just in time for Thanksgiving!

Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:

News Headlines

I have noticed. Pork loin is $1/lb more than we paid for it last year this time, and when was the last time you found a full pound of chips?

Cans of tuna are smaller (again). This is the new trick ... the sizes are smaller. Even the cat food. What was once an 18lb. bag is now only 16lbs.

Look what they did to yogurt too. Same thing. there is hardly enough in those little cups to put in your eye. At one time, they were 8oz cups.

Anything that is realted to corn is more expensive (making fuel from food). Eggs, pork, whatever is fed with corn or a corn product.

Butter has been going up steadily. Coffee. Coffee creamer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies